Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Ben Harpur [1Y/Secret AAV]

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Things like this really make me wonder...does the scouting staff/coaches even look at this stuff?

My bet is their criteria is "His name would look good on the back of our jersey"
What scouting staff? Hockey's different here lol

Reactions: jacko23

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Harpur sucks, but he's in Hartford already and likely will spend most of the rest of the season there. Having lost Tinordi, the depth chart beyond Schneider, Hajek, and Jones is Welinski (basically an AHL player himself) and a bunch of rookies like Robertson, Emberson, and Scanlin. You want at least 8-9 guys with some NHL experience and Harpur is similar to Tinordi, which--while we may think that's a stupid thing to shoot for--the team clearly values that kind of guy. As an 8th or 9th defenseman he likely won't do much harm, and in the flat cap world it's tough to find legitimate NHL players who you can fit in the payroll for these types of roles.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That inevitable one-off Ben "Harper" mistake jersey is gonna be worth a lot of money!
quote-if-you-don-t-like-my-fire-then-don-t-come-around-cause-i-m-gonna-burn-one-down-ben-harper-99-79-27.jpg

jersey #420

Reactions: will1066

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If the organiation isn't comfortable with Jones then give Robertson a shot please.
I have a hard time believing they signed Harpur to play regularly. Seems more like a move in case a couple guys get hurt at the same time. Doesn't mean they'd give Robertson a look as next man up, but I just can't see it being Harpur.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Matt Robertson is off to a better start this year than last. HIs two way game seems to have made an appearance. I don't know if someone like Harpur would be the first guy we called up just because he has NHL experience but I would think Robertson deserves it more and that he would definitely be in the conversation. I'm thinking that Cuylle may have been in the conversation when Gauthier was recalled because so far he's doing well too....but the Rangers might have been more comfortable 20 or so games in with him though and that it was too early now.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Saw him and the innocent criminals perform at Bonnaroo one year

I saw him at a special charity show at Radio City for the David Lynch Foundation. Dubious charity at best. For Transcendental Meditation. No one went to see Harper. Paul MCartney, Ringo Starr, Eddie Vedder. Donovan, Jerry Seinfeld and a host of others were there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00