Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Senators 2/21/13 - Miller Light

Bardof425*

They played five minutes of good hockey. A couple to start. Gave up a shorty, and promptly played like **** for the next 50 minutes. Played a good minute of hockey to get the lead, then relaxed and gave the lead back, like they always do. Weren't bad to end regulation, and a couple good shifts in OT, and there's your 5 minutes.

The Shootout was an abomination. Richards was an abomination. Richards during the shootout, is something worse than abomination. My vocabulary isn't that good.

We were lucky Anderson got hurt. That's it, really. 1-3 since Boyle came back.

And no regulation wins. Torts is an idiot for messing with what was working to get his butt buddy who happens to be half a tard in the game. And the schedule has been easier and we're not winning.

PoeticJustice

Feb 22, 2013
Lots of negative play postes here. Actually, the game was a toss for both sides... as for officiating, as a fan of neither team, it was abysmal at best. Ottawa recieved only 1 powerplay, in which Ottawa tied the game for the SO win. There were countless sequences in which both teams should have been penalized. (Also noted that Chris Neil's boarding penalty was stark, and Gonchar's holding penalty was rather timid.)

Essentially, there were alot of missed calls for no reason, including 2 "out of play" calls, (how did Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson get injured?) one of which Biron actually played the puck, and a few diving, high sticks and tripping calls. Basically what happened was... in the first period, the linesman took a puck to the head, and then again to the leg. After which the whistles went away, for the most part. What happens in those games? People get hurt, and teams get upset. (not to mention fans)

Case in point, neither team should have won. They both should be in practice, or the AHL. Gaborik's play hasn't been there, Richards play hasn't been there. It's a shortened season, which means every game should be played like a play-off game, esp when it's in your own conference.

Let's face it, Nash doesn't want the pressure of being 'the guy' but it's part of his deal. When needed he's going to have to step up. Being out for 'undisclosed reasons' is either a "I don't wanna" or an "I can't". Either way, it's important to let your fans know, otherwise he comes off as the needy guy we picked up from that team where he was good.

To cap off this post, the Sens won on luck, and good bounces, which really is needed considering their cap hit on injured players has almost reached the 50% mark. The Rangers lost because they couldn't or wouldn't finish. Nash was a missing piece, but he can't be the only guy on the team generating opportunity. Where is Gaborik? Richards? Callahan has been touch and go, but producing... All in all, I think the Sens earned this one with the loss of Anderson. He's still statistically the best goaltender in the league.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I'm dumbfounded. The Miller.Callahan.Krieder line was playing well. We were winning and younger players were getting confident. Doesn't matter because the coach doesn't see enough in their play away from the puck?

He just had to get Boyle back in the lineup at all costs. Boyle brings zero speed or skill to our lineup. His big frame should be maximized as a screen but never is, and he isn't physical! What then? Is he just a tortorella experiment? He honestly sees a 20g shutdown forward in this guy?

the irony is defensively responsible Boyle takes a late penalty to cost us the game.

WhiskeyDeke

Shut up, Keith.
Jul 5, 2006
Va
Let's face it, Nash doesn't want the pressure of being 'the guy' but it's part of his deal. When needed he's going to have to step up. Being out for 'undisclosed reasons' is either a "I don't wanna" or an "I can't". Either way, it's important to let your fans know, otherwise he comes off as the needy guy we picked up from that team where he was good.
I hardly think Nash is the type to pull a stunt like that, and if you think Torts would allow it from ANYONE let alone your top forward, you're insane.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

He's injured and can't play, it isn't his job to inform the fans of his condition, that falls on the organization and apparently they don't want to. What the wtf is this?

fiedy88

Feb 14, 2010
Branchburg, NJ
Lunqvist vs. Bishop. Rangers lose.

29563756.jpg

That's a stupid thing to say, Bishop only played like 12 minutes.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Let's face it, Nash doesn't want the pressure of being 'the guy' but it's part of his deal. When needed he's going to have to step up. Being out for 'undisclosed reasons' is either a "I don't wanna" or an "I can't". Either way, it's important to let your fans know, otherwise he comes off as the needy guy we picked up from that team where he was good..

Oh boy.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
I wasn't able to watch the game last tonight, but good lord people. You're all crazy. We lose... FIRE EVERYONE! We win, we're winning the Cup.

Do people realize we have two games in hand on Toronto (yeah, they do have the tie-breaker) and Ottawa for 6th and 7th? It's not even like we're out of the division race. We're six points out. Not that big. It's a win streak away. I know it can be said about missing the playoffs too, but this team is way too talented and well coached to miss it. They'll come around. You all look like a bunch of idiot kids crying how this team sucks. There's no patience. Great teams struggle at times too. It happens.

Prior to the season, I just wanted the team to make the playoffs. I don't care as much about dominating a shortened regular season. When the Rangers make the playoffs, I guarantee nobody wants to play them, except Pittsburgh and maybe NJ.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I wasn't able to watch the game tonight, but good lord people. You're all crazy. We lose... FIRE EVERYONE! We win, we're winning the Cup.

Do people realize we have two games in hand on Toronto (yeah, they do have the tie-breaker) and Ottawa for 6th and 7th? It's not even like we're out of the division race. We're six points out. Not that big. It's a win streak away. I know it can be said about missing the playoffs too, but this team is way too talented and well coached to miss it. They'll come around. You all look like a bunch of idiot kids crying how this team sucks. There's no patience. Great teams struggle at times too. It happens.

Prior to the season, I just wanted the team to make the playoffs. I don't care as much about dominating a shortened regular season. When the Rangers make the playoffs, I guarantee nobody wants to play them, except Pittsburgh and maybe NJ.

I partly agree. The level of hysteria here I laughable, totally disproportionate to the overall situation long term...

However even with Nash not in the lineup the lack of offense, putrid passing, brain dead play by BR and others at times is troubling!

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
I partly agree. The level of hysteria here I laughable, totally disproportionate to the overall situation long term...

However even with Nash not in the lineup the lack of offense, putrid passing, brain dead play by BR and others at times is troubling!

I understand that and I'd be lying if I said it didn't trouble me at all.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY

Seriously? :facepalm:

PoeticJustice

Feb 22, 2013
I hardly think Nash is the type to pull a stunt like that, and if you think Torts would allow it from ANYONE let alone your top forward, you're insane.

Okay, worded it a bit wrong, but still. With all the hype and being the only blockbuster trade on the market last year, the Rangers should expect more from this guy. As a fan, do you not want to know? I only make that assumption of his 'undisclosed injury' because it's the truth of the past.

Again though, for a guy who moved to a team with star power, he missed 2 games, so did the Rangers. I don't want to see another Blue Jackets... Should still expect more from him though, lots of potential there. Also, he's not supposed to be the top forward, isn't that why he signed anyway?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
When was the last time this team got angry at the opposition? The team played better with a snarl last year.

Bottom line is, the Rangers top six isn't playing well enough and the Rangers bottom six is not as good as last year's bottom six.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Boyle needs to get Barb Underhill under retainer again. He looks like the big lumbering oaf from 09-10. His game has completely fallen apart. The Rangers had more flow with Miller in the middle.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Typical Rangers game this season.

• Play well enough to get two points, but not we'll enough to WIN.

• A few bounces or calls go our way and the Rangers win this one 3-1. That said, the Rangers got away with about 3 or 4 penalties and were lucky in that sense. (not on the Anderson injury though). Countless chances missed, out chanced the opponent again - didnt finish and got finished on. How many games have been that way this year? 5-6?

• Another blown lead, this time late. It seemed like the Rangers were working so hard to tie it that when they finally tied and then quickly took the lead, they didnt know what to do with themselves. Last season, that game is a slam dunk regulation win. This year, like several others now - the Rangers are having a tough time holding the lead. While i think that will be fixed, it needs to happen quickly because they've already lost about 5-6 points because of blown leads. I'll mention it again. This team lacks the killer instinct they had last year and they need to get it back!

• Big names not producing. Gaborik was ok, but he wasn't the game breaker this team needs. More of the same from Richards. I still think hes getting incrementally better (and thats not saying much) each game, but its obvious hes playing mental games with himself and its preventing him from just going out there and being free. Must be a NY thing. Can't believe it really.

• Lundqvist quietly made about 8 huge saves. The defensive zone coverage and shot blocking needs to improve.

• JT Miller and Kreider, while positionally sound - aren't providing any scoring chances. Do you live with that or do you expect more? I love JT Millers game, he just needs to generate more shots. Kreider used his speed much better than in games past, but wasnt finishing checks and using his frame on the boards. Wasnt carrying the puck and the only shot he got off that i can remember was in the shootout.

• Hagelin was the Rangers best forward, again.

• Callahan was invisible for the first two periods, as was Pyatt. When those two play they help the Rangers forecheck a ton, but they cant finish the plays by themselves. Pyatt is wonderful on the boards, but he needs help.

• Halpern was flying again. Hes been a consistent player whos been skating and on the puck every shift he gets out there. Good for him, but its a bad sign for the Rangers that he got so many minutes last night. Early candidate for the McDonald award imo.

• DZ - Ugh. Injured, double ugh.

• Another frustrating loss in the shootout. The Rangers had what, 4 chances to win it with one shot? With such a huge goalie in net im surprised that no one tried to make a move and slide it under his pads. The goal that beat Lundqvist was absolute BS. To me, this is the type of luck the Rangers are having right now (plus the terrible whistle)- but its not about that. Plenty of chances on the PP, plenty of scoring chances they could have finished. They have to start making their own luck.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Drunk poster is drunk

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Boyle needs to get Barb Underhill under retainer again. He looks like the big lumbering oof from 09-10. His game has completely fallen apart. The Rangers had more flow with Miller in the middle.

Yeah, where I see Boyles game dropping off is with the puck in close quarters. His stops and starts are way too long and hes not getting his feet under him when he tries to make a move with the puck.

When he was scoring he had that extra step to get into space to get shots off and retain the puck to keep the cycle going. He had a few good shifts but its painfully obvious that that season was a flash in the pan. Hes really not a 20 goal scorer. He can score by going to the net and getting dirty goals, so thats where he should go.

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
Why doesn't anyone on our team fight anymore to give us a spark? We were one of the top fighting teams last year, and each time after a fight it seemed as though our star players had gained some energy. Drop the gloves and light a fire under these guys' *****. Oh, and Richards can suck an egg. Buy his ass out because that 7 mil can be used for a top tier center for 6/per next year and give us more room to sign everyone else. I don't care if it's a slow start. He should have done more on his own in the 'offseason' if that is the excuse.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
It's easy to make excuses, look at the standings and say "it's not that bad" or "they will get it together".

The fact remains there is absolutely zero reason they should not have been able to take advantage of a ridiculously depleted Sens team last night. Instead they came out with the same heartless garbage.

Call me crazy but that is a tad concerning.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn

728-computer-reaction-face-knife-stab-self-eye.png

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

To cap off this post, the Sens won on luck, and good bounces, which really is needed considering their cap hit on injured players has almost reached the 50% mark. The Rangers lost because they couldn't or wouldn't finish. Nash was a missing piece, but he can't be the only guy on the team generating opportunity. Where is Gaborik? Richards? Callahan has been touch and go, but producing... All in all, I think the Sens earned this one with the loss of Anderson. He's still statistically the best goaltender in the league.

Pejorative Slured post... but.... the criticism of Gaborik and Richards is warranted. The Callahan praise is also a bit odd... not thinking he at all has been the old Callahan. Maybe his shoulder is still not 100%?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Looool

On another note this fanbase has not been as bi-polar this year in wins in losses. I think the negativity and not holding our collective breath has been the standard for most of the season because at very few times this year has this team looked like a Cup contender. No one should have any reason thus far to get even remotely excited after a win or even a small string of them. To say this season has been a let down thus far would be a gross understatement. I don't see the overly positive and exaggerating comments we saw last year after wins. Most of the negativity has been consistent and warranted with the exception of a few who will always be bi-polar because that's just how they roll. Just like there will always be people who are supremely negative or the direct opposite. That is a definite minority, however. I think most of us have been pretty fair all things considered. We have a right to be upset at this team playing around .500 hockey right now, even if they can turn it around. Just because they can still theoretically go on a tear and take 1st in the East doesn't mean we cannot be critical and voice our concerns. A point lost on people year after year.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
When was the last time this team got angry at the opposition? The team played better with a snarl last year.

Interesting point. I was watching the game with my wife last night and she made a comment about our team toughness. She said now that Prust and Rupp are gone we don't have anyone to fight. She even asked where Bickel was. I said, I'd rather win than fight. She replied, we only win when we fight. I have to give her some credit. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad