Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Senators 2/21/13 - Miller Light

Maaxse

Aug 23, 2011
Montreal
Is the NHL more high scoring this year? We had 50 goals and were 23rd in the league, now we have 41 and we're 20th? Or did we just play fewer games than other teams last year?

The comparaison is after 16 games each, so same number. I made sure I showed our relative position to other teams in order to have a full picture and it looks like we minimally stepped up offensively and collapsed defensively way more than what the board is saying. The obsession with Richards offensive statistical output and his big contract are blinding a few here about our inability to keep clean(er) sheets like last year, which I feel is a much bigger issue. This is the 3rd time in 4 games we lost the lead, I don't think it ever happened last year.

I think Richards needs to get some blame, especially for the PP, but I Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto can and should be better and are also accountable.

37 shots against a team that is without their 1C and PMD is way to much for the system we are playing.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Boyle did alright, except for the penalty he took.

too many post hits unfortunately...

The third line was doing quite well, especially with all those one timer blasts off the boards...

more one-timers are necessary for sure.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Hopefully Nash is good to go on Saturday. Would like to see him with Hags and Step again. Actually need someone to create offense on this team.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Just finished watching the replay. the thing that's got me over the last few games is that it looks like our D-men and forwards are playing of completely different sheets of music. there's no connect at all between the two groups.

I also feel our defence need to be told to back their skills a bit more. We have a solid 6 man group, time to let them off the leash a little

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The comparaison is after 16 games each, so same number. I made sure I showed our relative position to other teams in order to have a full picture and it looks like we minimally stepped up offensively and collapsed defensively way more than what the board is saying. The obsession with Richards offensive statistical output and his big contract are blinding a few here about our inability to keep clean(er) sheets like last year, which I feel is a much bigger issue. This is the 3rd time in 4 games we lost the lead, I don't think it ever happened last year.

I think Richards needs to get some blame, especially for the PP, but I Girardi, McDonagh and Del Zotto can and should be better and are also accountable.

37 shots against a team that is without their 1C and PMD is way to much for the system we are playing.

Those numbers tell us that Hank stood on his head for most of last season, and we as a team did a good job to hang in there and was very lucky at times/got timely goals.

We went into the PO's and could just as well have lost against the 8th seed and the 7th seed and then did not stand a chance really against the, what, 6th seed.

Undoubtedly, out offense needs to approve. Alot. If our defense isn't among the best in the league, we will obviously miss the PO's by a wide margin.

Philly won the Atlantic one year and was the worst, or second worst, team in the league the year after (when they got JVR). It almost went by unnoticed because Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, and a couple of others, really stepped up in a hurry and made Philly instantly respectable again.

We accomplished alot last season. That in its turn do not really say as much of our ability as a team as some seem to think.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Rick Nash adds a completely different dynamic to this offense. And after watching our two abysmal performances this week, I am fully 100% confident in saying that. Look at the chances that we were "creating" tonight. Wraparounds galore. Mindless dump and chase. I miss Nash and his ability to carry the pick across the blueline, and then actually generate a scoring chance. What a concept!

He also added some completely new ideas to this team. I don't remember who the game was against, except for that it was a home game, and we were on the PK. Nash took the puck, killed time in the offensive zone, then gave the puck back to a defenseman in the neutral zone. They played catch for some more time before dumping it back in and going off for a line change. And it was probably like a new foreign concept for this team: Puck possession, even on the PK!

tl;dr: this team is clueless offensively unless we have Rick Nash healthy and playing. Get well soon!

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
Those numbers tell us that Hank stood on his head for most of last season, and we as a team did a good job to hang in there and was very lucky at times/got timely goals.

We went into the PO's and could just as well have lost against the 8th seed and the 7th seed and then did not stand a chance really against the, what, 6th seed.

Undoubtedly, out offense needs to approve. Alot. If our defense isn't among the best in the league, we will obviously miss the PO's by a wide margin.

Philly won the Atlantic one year and was the worst, or second worst, team in the league the year after (when they got JVR). It almost went by unnoticed because Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, and a couple of others, really stepped up in a hurry and made Philly instantly respectable again.

We accomplished alot last season. That in its turn do not really say as much of our ability as a team as some seem to think.

This team was better offensively last year than people give them credit for.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

We also lost key people.
Prust provided energy when the team needed a spark.
I am pretty sure, he would have made a difference against Montreal.
Dubi was a relentless forechecker. He was hustling and was a good tag team partner with Cally on the pk.
Anisimov was defensively responsible, he was out there protecting leads late in games. And every now then, he would score a timely goal.
Those 3 may not have provided offensive production, but they were key ingredients of last year's team's identity.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Rick Nash adds a completely different dynamic to this offense. And after watching our two abysmal performances this week, I am fully 100% confident in saying that. Look at the chances that we were "creating" tonight. Wraparounds galore. Mindless dump and chase. I miss Nash and his ability to carry the pick across the blueline, and then actually generate a scoring chance. What a concept!

He also added some completely new ideas to this team. I don't remember who the game was against, except for that it was a home game, and we were on the PK. Nash took the puck, killed time in the offensive zone, then gave the puck back to a defenseman in the neutral zone. They played catch for some more time before dumping it back in and going off for a line change. And it was probably like a new foreign concept for this team: Puck possession, even on the PK!

tl;dr: this team is clueless offensively unless we have Rick Nash healthy and playing. Get well soon!
The team is struggling because Nash is out, but also because Richards is struggling. Gabby has nobody to feed him the puck.
Most of Richard's passes are going to the opposition lately.
He needs to go see Stevie Wonder down in New Orleans for some voodoo magic.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta

But, doesn't that just totally make you feel bad about this team?
It does for me. To think that there is nothing without Nash, I mean, that stinks.
That's what I hate. I will not stop *****ing about it because it is sad that a team can have nothing to offer if one guy is missing. Don't tell me about Powe being off, yeah, he's okay, I'm talking reality.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I wonder what poor Nash is thinking.
He came to the Rangers because supposedly he did not have to be the guy. There are all these stars around him.
Guess again Mr Nash.

beastly115

Oct 12, 2007
Really getting tired of losing boring games. I accepted boring play when they were winning last year. Not this year.

Oh good I thought it was just me. I've been getting bored watching them this year to the point where I don't even pay attention during the game. I honestly thought I was losing interest in hockey altogether because of the lockout.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I make jokes about some of the stuff I read on these boards, but it's early in the morning and I'm wondering where my hockey team is right now.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He's very noticeable every night. Because we all say 'how didn't he bury that'. For some reason its more of an accomplishment to get the chance than it is to score.

No he's not.

It's a problem for him.

When he's not on the score sheet, he's often invisible.

Tonight, he was not on the score sheet, but he wasdangerous all night.

I can accept that. It happens. More often than not, when he plays like he did tonight, the points will be there.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah, I was not engaged in last night's game at all. Was hanging out with friends, who are all Rangers fans and we ended up playing cards with the game on in the background. Would look up every once in a while to catch some cycling and dumping. Woo. Were games really like this last year? I feel like they weren't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad