Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Ryan Mantha (D - USHL) with 104th Overall Pick

Dec 13, 2010
Project but a project with a lot of potential. Not unlike the Graves pick from last year..kid could really use 3-4 years in the NCAA but when he finally gets his game all together he could be a really good #5-6

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It looks like Mantha is going to the OHL

North Dakota released their 2014-14 roster a few days ago

http://www.undsports.com/SportSelec...00&SORT_ORDER=1&Q_SEASON=2014&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

No Mantha.

Williamson indicated he will get a clearer picture of Mantha’s plans following the National Hockey League draft.

“He’s going to get drafted to NHL. I went to the (NHL) combine and met with him and seemed to be excited about coming to the OHL,†Williamson said. “He’s just going to wait for the NHL draft and as long as there are no hiccups with an NHL team that says I prefer you to go to school, I think he’s leaning toward coming to our league.â€

Williamson envisions Mantha, the nephew of former NHL defenceman Mo Mantha, as another big body on the blue-line to go along with Aaron Haydon and Alex Mikulovich.

“I’m pretty excited about this,†Williamson said. “I think he’s going to be a real nice piece to our puzzle. I was looking for a little more size on our back end to go against some of the big forwards and being able to get (Luke) Mercer, (Blake) Siebenaler and (Vince) Dunn away from those guys.

“He’s a big, contained guy. He’s hard to play against and he skates really well. He’s not a punishing defenceman but he plays the position really well. He’s a really good passer. He’s very focused on where he wants to go and he thinks we can help him along the way.â€

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/06/02/icedogs-add-mantha

Mantha's next port of call could be contingent on which NHL organization takes a chance on him at the NHL draft this weekend in Philadelphia. The big defender is uncommitted to a NCAA school for this season. The Muskegon Lumberjacks have his USHL rights, while the Ontario Hockey League's Niagara IceDogs recently traded two priority selection picks for his rights."

"North Dakota has eight D returning," Mantha says. "I don't want to sit, I want to continue to develop. I'm keeping my options open right now. They haven't told me to go back. That's something I have to decide over the summer.

"I think they're going to decide," he says of a NHL franchise having influence on the decision of where to play as an 18-year-old. "Some teams say they won't but I think if someone has input on what is best for me, I'll really consider it."

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...racker-ryan-mantha-indiana-ice-154518283.html

The Rangers had the issue with Tambellini and North Dakota last season. The Rangers said they left the decision up to Tambellini. They did sign JT Miller who was also a North Dakota recruit.

The Rangers don't want Mantha playing in the USHL next season because North Dakota has too many returning D.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not a fan. Seems like one of those players where you try to talk about his strengths and you go "um, well....he's 6'4" and um...did I mention he's 6'4"?"

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Channeling Casey Stengel:

Mantha is only 18 and in four years he has a chance to be 22.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not a fan. Seems like one of those players where you try to talk about his strengths and you go "um, well....he's 6'4" and um...did I mention he's 6'4"?"

He's the 104th overall pick in a mediocre draft… He's big, skates well, and can pass according to scouting reports. Supposedly he's a good dude…. as good a gamble as any I guess… Were you expecting Shea Weber 2.0?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's the 104th overall pick in a mediocre draft… He's big, skates well, and can pass according to scouting reports. Supposedly he's a good dude…. as good a gamble as any I guess… Were you expecting Shea Weber 2.0?

I'm expecting a player whose biggest strength isn't his height. I look at this guy and I see a tall player. Not much else.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm expecting a player whose biggest strength isn't his height. I look at this guy and I see a tall player. Not much else.

From the scouting reports it seems he uses his height to his advantage when it comes to positioning and using his long reach w his stick. He just doesn't go for that big check on a regular basis to intimidate opposing teams players.

Apparently he skates pretty well for his size too.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The reports on his puck skills sound more encouraging than I would've thought. To our resident scouts: What are the chances he's able to improve his skating enough to be an effective pro?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Disappointed like I was with JT Miller that he's not going to North Dakota. Dave Hakstol is GREAT at developing kids and the Sioux are my favorite college team. Would have loved to have seen him go there but if they have 8 defenders returning, I can see why he would choose the OHL.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
From the scouting reports it seems he uses his height to his advantage when it comes to positioning and using his long reach w his stick. He just doesn't go for that big check on a regular basis to intimidate opposing teams players.

[COLOR="Red"]Apparently he skates pretty well for his size too.

what does this mean? Either he can skate well enough to compete in NHL or he can't skate well enough to compete. Size has nothing to do with skating. Does Brian Boyle skate well enough to compete; does Chris Kreider skate well enough to compete;Did Jarko Immonen skate well enough to compete? Players that cannot skate cannot compete regardless of size.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think getting more games against better competition will be good for him. I also think the NoDak program is slipping a bit.

They went to the frozen four where they lost 2-1 to Minny. What exactly is slipping ?

Mantha looks like a stiff, but we'll see, he's another 5 year planner.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They went to the frozen four where they lost 2-1 to Minny. What exactly is slipping ?

Mantha looks like a stiff, but we'll see, he's another 5 year planner.

I mean in their ability to develop high quality NHL players. They were gifted that group of Toews, Oshie, Zajac, Etc, and since they've turned out a very limited number of NHL caliber prospects. Nelson looks great, but he was a pretty complete player heading into school. Kristo looks like he learned next to nothing about playing in his own end there. Forbort had a lot of natural ability, but hasn't turned it into much so far. Knight is an okay looking player.

I dunno. I'm probably painting them with too wide of a brush, but I think they're developing very good college players and not much beyond that.

ness180

Jan 27, 2012
New York Rangers pick Ryan Mantha close to signing in OHL
A New York Rangers source indicated that academics were prohibiting the Clarkston, Mich. native from passing through the NCAA Clearinghouse. His OHL rights were traded from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds to the IceDogs earlier this month.
Link: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/jun...-close-to-signing-in-ohl-north-dakota-recruit

Looks like he wasn't going to make it to the NCAA either way. Which is odd because no disrespect to UND, it doesn't take much to get accepted there but then again academics isn't for everyone I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad