Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017
Slight tangent from renewal rates, but given lower than normal rewewals...

What do you think the best seats one could possibly get are -- full or partial plan, any price? Just curious. I have no insight into that.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
yeah we talked about that, here's concrete proof that it's going to affect some non renewals without the tax deduction. Effective price hike of about 20% to the small business owner

Can someone still write-off losses going forward with the new tax laws? (i.e. - Bought for $125, sold for $75, write-off a $50 loss.)? Of course I assume full-accounting....

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Can someone still write-off losses going forward with the new tax laws? (i.e. - Bought for $125, sold for $75, write-off a $50 loss.)? Of course I assume full-accounting....
If you are a ticket broker, I would think so. However, I would think you would need a tax id and also pay sales tax on your sales. I am not an accountant, but if you have one, ask him after tax season.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

It's no different than before, nothing has changed. If you have a sale, you disposed of an asset at a certain price. You deduct the COGS and related expenses, the net is your profit or loss.

But that brings up an interesting question, whenever I ate a ticket, I was told it was non-deductable because the IRS just assumes you used the ticket yourself. Should I have been deducting 50% up until last year as a meals & entertainment expense??

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I'm sure people have felt that way many times in the past. But it's all cyclical. In a few years they will have too many tickets and will make more seasons available.
I think the cycle is different now and probably broken. When the team is good again there probably won't be anything available with a high value proposition. Everything they try to sell you will be at or above market. Ideally you want to hang in there with your full seasons in the top of the 200's or in the 400's. A 1 in 25 year Stanley Cup appearance doesn't justify taking $1000's in losses every year in many seating locations

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think the cycle is different now and probably broken. When the team is good again there probably won't be anything available with a high value proposition. Everything they try to sell you will be at or above market. Ideally you want to hang in there with your full seasons in the top of the 200's or in the 400's. A 1 in 25 year Stanley Cup appearance doesn't justify taking $1000's in losses every year in many seating locations

Yeah, unfortunately I do agree with that. Sadly, beyond the emotional connection you have with the team for being a season subscriber, there is little reason to keep seasons going forward.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Slight tangent from renewal rates, but given lower than normal rewewals...

What do you think the best seats one could possibly get are -- full or partial plan, any price? Just curious. I have no insight into that.

That depends. Many would say close to the glass at center ice. Personally, while that is a great spot, I get that on TV. For me I would probably want to be between the dot and the blue line on the 8th end side where the Rangers attached twice. Sure, you sacrifice the view of the other end...but for 2/3 of the game you really get a great view of the action in the offensive zone.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Get in down to $30 on Ticket Exchange for tonight lol. Brutal.

Color me surprised that Ryan Spooner and Vlad Namestnikov haven't sparked the fanbase into buying tickets.

I've got two more games (Buffalo and Washington) left in my plan. I think I'll end up at the Buffalo game, but the Washington game might tank. It's a Monday.

I'm hoping that Andersson is up vs Buffalo, and Chytil is up vs Washington. Those guys being around might make those games sell for a little bit more.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Color me surprised that Ryan Spooner and Vlad Namestnikov haven't sparked the fanbase into buying tickets.

I've got two more games (Buffalo and Washington) left in my plan. I think I'll end up at the Buffalo game, but the Washington game might tank. It's a Monday.

I'm hoping that Andersson is up vs Buffalo, and Chytil is up vs Washington. Those guys being around might make those games sell for a little bit more.

I like your optimism. :)

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Anyone going to the happy hour tonight? I was supposed to go even though I sold my tickets. Was going to go somewhere to watch game after, but something came up. Emailed my rep to let him know in case there is a waiting list, also pointed out low prices for tonight and again mentioned how MSG used the secondary market to justify the increase in prices, so the same should be done to lower prices.

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
Emailed my rep to let him know in case there is a waiting list, also pointed out low prices for tonight and again mentioned how MSG used the secondary market to justify the increase in prices, so the same should be done to lower prices.

Will there ever be a breaking point for them to consider lower prices? Would it take multiple years of a rebuild?

Did they ever lower prices during the playoff drought between 97-04?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Will there ever be a breaking point for them to consider lower prices? Would it take multiple years of a rebuild?

They cut prices 10% across the board for the 05-06 season. Only took missing the playoffs for 7 seasons and a lockout of course. And prices went up that 10% plus some for 06-07.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
They cut prices 10% across the board for the 05-06 season. Only took missing the playoffs for 7 seasons and a lockout of course. And prices went up that 10% plus some for 06-07.

Yep. I remember. My greens went from $40 to $36.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

It's possible. But I would think it's more likely they just freeze prices for a couple years.

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY
That’s because Dolan came out and said if we don’t make playoffs I’ll cut tickets 10 percent. He won’t make that mistake again

Section311

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2008
long Island, NY

They would have to see a tremendous amount of people give up season tickets and general public sales down significantly

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
90 percent is actually low..usually it’s 95-98 percent.

Yeah, 90% is low. I have no idea how many season subscribers there are, but if there are 4,000-5,000 (controlling ~12,000 to 15,000 seats) then that's 400 to 500 subscribers canceling and releasing ~1,200 to 1,500 seats. That's quite a bit.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Yeah, 90% is low. I have no idea how many season subscribers there are, but if there are 4,000-5,000 (controlling ~12,000 to 15,000 seats) then that's 400 to 500 subscribers canceling and releasing ~1,200 to 1,500 seats. That's quite a bit.
Will be interesting to see how much inventory they release in the relocation round. They want the best locations for the partial plan and individual mark up value, but it's always possible they throw us a bone for some sort of opportunity to get better seats. Also, since they made us renew so early it would make sense to do the relocation much earlier too, soon after the end of the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->