Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sabres -- 4/3/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Despite my hatred for Quinn I wonder how much a coach over such a small sample size has an effect on the on ice product. And it's not like Knoblauch coaches peewee.
Nobody is saying we were great under Knoblauch or that we should fire Quinn to hire Knoblauch.

But he did do little things better like starts to games and periods, and keeping his lines together. That can help your offensive output.

And we certainly didn't drop off the face of the Earth like the Sabres did when they fired their coach to name some guy in the interim.

It's not a great look for Quinn. It makes him look like nothing more than an AHL coach.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Just counted really quickly but we are averaging a goal a game more with him in the lineup than without him (when he was out from 2/20-3/13). That is pretty significant. I'm not saying we don't have the firepower because we do but this year it just seems more inconsistent and feel with this lineup we should be doing more.

No doubt they are better with him. He is one of our most important players and most dynamic offensive threat. They put a priority on defense this year so the offense might not be as potent as it was last year but top third in the league, although inconsistent, is still pretty good.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This might not be popular, but without Panarin the team maybe plays with more urgency, tightening up their game, playing more straight line. He's an elite player, but im beginning to think that he is a vortex that sucks the top guys into believing they all can play that style, and it's not one that is conducive to long term success

That has to be a coaching issue if true (which I’m not sure it is).

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't care what you're talking about. I don't care how you spin it.

The kids did not play more last night than they usually do. Period. We can measure this and it's been pointed out. People still insisting they were "leaned on" more are lying.

I'm not sure who you are arguing with, it can't be me because i never said the kids played more or less the other night. How about next time don't put words in my mouth like you normally do.

Reactions: 9darter

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, they never missed a shift except for the all the times they missed shifts.

Lafreniere and Kravtsov played two fewer minutes than anybody else but you think Quinn played them more because you just think that.

This is why people post charts and ignore what other people think they see. You don't know what you just saw an hour ago.

Your charts don’t worth shit without context that you generally ignore.

Reactions: 9darter

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Riding the vets on PP1 all game made sense early on when it looked like the objective was just "feed pucks into Mika's wheelhouse 100 times until he turns the clock back to last year." And I think it was defensible later, too, when they were kinda-sorta pushing for the playoffs and whenever we'd see a PP2 cameo, it was some kind of weird disaster.

Needed all those points against Buffalo, didn't get them. Didn't even outplay them in the second game. Please use that ice time to help out the young guys who need it.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Of course it is.

He’s an extreme illustration: if a team spends the whole game shorthanded how much ice time a player who doesn’t kill penalties get, professor?
The Sabres had two powerplays last night.

Look, believe what you want.

I don't have the energy to respond to people's opinions on facts.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It's a short sample, but when your AHL coach sees the team perform significantly better than they do under the NHL coach, and revert almost immediately when the NHL coach comes back, it should probably raise some red flags.

Coming from someone who is an avid proponent of analytics, which relies on patterns to come to conclusions, your position is pretty self-serving to your previously held opinions.

Patterns can't be determined by that small a sample.

If Knoblauch's record had a lower winning percentage than Quinn's, I would have bet big money that you wouldn't have then concluded that Quinn is the better coach.

If you believe that there now exists evidence that Knoblauch is the better coach, you would also have concluded that the Rangers would be solidly in the playoffs if Knoblauch coached the entire season.

If not, you would be saying that the difference between the two coaches is worth less than 5 points over 30 games, which would make no sense.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Coming from someone who is an avid proponent of analytics, which relies on patterns to come to conclusions, your position is pretty self-serving to your previously held opinions.

Patterns can't be determined by that small a sample.

If Knoblauch's record had a lower winning percentage than Quinn's, I would have bet big money that you wouldn't have then concluded that Quinn is the better coach.

If you believe that there now exists evidence that Knoblauch is the better coach, you would also have concluded that the Rangers would be solidly in the playoffs if Knoblauch coached the entire season.

If not, you would be saying that the difference between the two coaches is worth less than 5 points over 30 games, which would make no sense.
Don't you have a gameplan to make for Tuesday, David?

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not trying to start an argument her but I don´t buy it. I am willing to bet that if the name on the back of the jersey was Georgiev, Kincaid or god forbid Lundqvist, you would be singing another tune.

If the name on the back was Georgiev we’d have lost by 5 goals. So yes Shesterkin does get the benefit of the doubt here

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Don't you have a gameplan to make for Tuesday, David?

Didn't expect you to run away from questions, but I guess you had little choice.

By the way, Knoblauch's Rangers beat the worst team in hockey (Buff) and the Flyers 3 times, I believe, a team actually playing far worse than Buffalo and they split two games with Washington.

Wow!

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't expect you to run away from questions, but I guess you had little choice.

By the way, Knoblauch's Rangers beat the worst team in hockey (Buff) and the Flyers 3 times, I believe, a team actually playing far worse than Buffalo and they split two games with Washington.

Wow!
You're just not worth my time. It's the same old shtick and nothing is going to come from engaging in it.

You have absolutely nothing to add and no point to make. You just take a hard pro-Quinn stance to agitate.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
So the call to play the kids more tonight came from up top right?

Has to be lol

Can’t wait for Howden to be back next game :thumbd:
I know, I am assuming that. Seems "up top" saw an opportunity to get some good PT for them, maybe thinking they would win regardless.

And yeah, Howden would have taken things into his own hands, and changed the outcome singlehandedly. :sarcasm:

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
I have a question. On the Sabre’s lone shootout goal it looked like the player went backwards with his body and the puck after crossing the blue line.

Doesn’t the puck have to be kept in motion towards the opponents goal line. The move he did just felt kind of weird but I wasn’t sure if it was illegal or not and I didn’t hear anyone talking about it

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Small sample indeed. I know we destroyed Philly twice with Knoblauch, but it was also under Knoblauch where we were a complete no show in a 2-1 loss to the same Flyers. And I HATE Quinn.
that was clearly a pre-hangover, the players were all depressed because they knew Quinn was coming back the next night. Its kind of like the Sunday blues

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
What are you talking about??? im talking about situational ice time mainly pp2 starting a crucial pp and Laf playing in ot and you're going on about nerd charts and minutes and dying on some imaginary hill. If you don't have a clue don't say anything, nobody will know the difference.
I’ll chime in here.

1. No one has been asking for PP2 to start PPs. Just for PP1 to to play the full two minutes every single time. People would also like to see a left handed shot in the right half wall in Strome’s spot.

2. I think everyone wanted to see Kakko playing in OT, not Laf. My main heartburn continues to be Blackwell being played in OT, he is too small and unable to win back possession 3 on 3.

Lastly, do people here actually think Quinn is a good coach, or are we just arguing over the minutiae at this point? There’s no one here that actually thinks Quinn will be here is and when this team becomes a contender is there?

Gamma82

Jul 16, 2003
Joe's Garage
I’ll chime in here.

1. No one has been asking for PP2 to start PPs. Just for PP1 to to play the full two minutes every single time. People would also like to see a left handed shot in the right half wall in Strome’s spot.

2. I think everyone wanted to see Kakko playing in OT, not Laf. My main heartburn continues to be Blackwell being played in OT, he is too small and unable to win back possession 3 on 3.

Lastly, do people here actually think Quinn is a good coach, or are we just arguing over the minutiae at this point? There’s no one here that actually thinks Quinn will be here is and when this team becomes a contender is there?
I don't think many were complaining when Blackwell assisted on Laf's 1st goal, in OT against Buffalo with Ulmark in net. Crazy that the coach thought it might work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->