Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sabres -- 4/3/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You lost me with advocating Howden back in the lineup. Hate to be blunt but the guy sucks plain and simple.

I agree completely accept that for the most part he doesn’t get scored on and he kills penalties. I have not loved the fourth line defensively at all lately and more importantly I know he’s not sitting. So I rather Blackwell come out than gauthier

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You cannot give up clean looks from the slot with traffic in front with under 3 mins to go and blame the goalie. There’s no way the middle of the ice should be available when up 2-1 with mins or secs to go. Everything should be outside. Shesterkin gets beat twice from right between the circles with traffic talk to me if he’s giving up a softee and there was ONE early this year in that spot but I’m not blaming a goalie for unacceptable breakdowns right in the slot late.

Reactions: CLW and duhmetreE

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
1/14- 4-0
2/8- 2-0
No Panarin
2/16- 5-2
2/28- 4-1
3/7- 5-1
3/9- 4-2
3/11- 4-0

Cool stat that has to say something about this team. Only two games without Panarin we lost by more than 1 goal. The two times with Panarin were opening night and another one against the Islanders. We haven't been blown out much.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Are people here complaining about a 0.925 goalie ? Ok

I guess us Rangers fans have higher standards than the rest of the league.

You cannot give up clean looks from the slot with traffic in front with under 3 mins to go and blame the goalie. There’s no way the middle of the ice should be available when up 2-1 with mins or secs to go. Everything should be outside. Shesterkin gets beat twice from right between the circles with traffic talk to me if he’s giving up a softee and there was ONE early this year in that spot but I’m not blaming a goalie for unacceptable breakdowns right in the slot late.

That shot was as unscreened as they come. If watch the over head replay you will see that Igor completely missplayed the shot.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
1. PP and PK impact.
2. Our own zone faceoffs when just like Quinn, I’d prefer another line / center to be there.
3. Otherwise Kids line never missed a shift in the rotation
Yeah, they never missed a shift except for the all the times they missed shifts.

Lafreniere and Kravtsov played two fewer minutes than anybody else but you think Quinn played them more because you just think that.

This is why people post charts and ignore what other people think they see. You don't know what you just saw an hour ago.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That is a an awful take. Did you use the eye test?
As opposed to everyone else who has concrete data on who captains the hardest?

The personalities, from afar, don't seem any different from what we have. Most captains in NHL history are just the franchise player.

Thinking these other guys are captain material but nobody on our team could ever hold it is 1) Cup bias and 2) you just want Messier.

Juuuuuust a bit of hyperbole right there folks.
He was bad in the Czech junior league.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And another thing, after every loss, somebody has to say "player said *such and such* in the post game. Team of losers, Loser mentality!"

First of all, watch something else. There's tv beyond the Rangers.

Second, show me one player in the NHL -besides Drew Doughty who was hatched from an egg and then dropped on his head- who cuts promos after the game instead of giving canned answers.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
As opposed to everyone else who has concrete data on who captains the hardest?

The personalities, from afar, don't seem any different from what we have. Most captains in NHL history are just the franchise player.

Thinking these other guys are captain material but nobody on our team could ever hold it is 1) Cup bias and 2) you just want Messier.

He was bad in the Czech junior league.

There is truth to building a narrative around a player. Seems to be more common with Ranger fans. Probably half the explanation as to why players get better when they leave, or suck when they come.

I don't really have a preference for a captain, or really care. Leaders will lead, whether there is a C on their sweater or not. People overblow the importance of the actual C.
Otherwise, I just like to bust balls regarding advanced stats.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
And another thing, after every loss, somebody has to say "player said *such and such* in the post game. Team of losers, Loser mentality!"

First of all, watch something else. There's tv beyond the Rangers.

Second, show me one player in the NHL -besides Drew Doughty who was hatched from an egg and then dropped on his head- who cuts promos after the game instead of giving canned answers.
lmao

Reactions: Machinehead

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
[insert radical changes]

upload_2021-4-4_13-32-7.png

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Shesterkin was struggling the whole game and still only allowed 2 goals.

Did you miss the refill on your anti-goalie meds or something? Your anger is misdirected.

I honestly didn't see him struggle at all, a couple of times he gave up rebounds he could have controlled but I thought he played better than the game before where the first goal he gave up was a bit of a mess and where he faced fewer chances against.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What did I miss? Are we saying Shesterkin is why they lost?

Not at all, he was one of their better players. I can probably count on half a hand the amount of times we lost because of Shesterkin in his career. In fact, I can only think of one game this year the 3-2 loss against the Pens where he gave up 2 bad goals in the third and we allowed like 17 or 19 shots. I think Shesterkin is actually more consistent in his early career than Hank was for the Rangers, even in his prime. He's given up 5 goals once so far and 4 goals maybe 2 or 3 times. She's a friggin cyborg. That said he has a terrible habit of giving up goals late in close games. And that's not a good trait for an NHL goalie. Now maybe it's just random variation. I think last year he didn't do that, but this year he's done it AT LEAST 5 times. Our other goalies did too but our other goalies suck. And if he doesn't fix it he'll be a goalie with great stats but disappointing win/loss records.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
this team wont win shit until this coach is gone. kakko riding the pine for the entire OT was a joke. the "kid line" was the best line last night and the head coach didn't recognize it. this team has so much more talent than boston and even the islanders that it's not even funny. the difference is that their coaches are great.

also re: Hajek, i was laughing my ass off at the highlight package MSG showed in the third period and every play was him in his own zone with the puck on the other teams stick, like 7 or 8 different plays. he's bad.
Kakko played in OT and was trusted with a shootout attempt.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I guess us Rangers fans have higher standards than the rest of the league.

That shot was as unscreened as they come. If watch the over head replay you will see that Igor completely missplayed the shot.

you can clearly see Miller trying to get out of the way and crossing the front. It goes by his ear toughest save to make you’re in between as a goalie.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
No Rooney has some skill sets and can score on occasion. Howden has no offensive capabilities period.

Rooney does have more offense than Howden. But Rooney, for being a 4th line center, is a bit of an adventure in his own zone. I would say Howden is better defensively. What I don't like about that fourth line right now is that they're not terribly stable in their own zone. Last few games they've been running around a bit too much and they've been a little careless in making sure the puck gets out.

I would say if our third pairing was a bit more composed and better at breaking the forecheck, some of the fourth line D-zone issues become less impactful. But one thing has become clear to me this season -- a good 4th line is composed of a very good 4th line C first and foremost. A guy who is basically like a 3rd D in his own zone, wins big faceoffs and has the speed/skill to get the puck deep. The wings are also important but less so. If you have a great 4th line C you can have a Derek Dorsett or a Daniel Carcillo without missing a beat -- esp because if need be, you can always double shift another winger late in games. But a very good 4th line center is a necessity for contenders. Right now, our best options aren't great.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It's amazing that Brett Howden's stock and defenders have increased dramatically since sitting out for a game and being out with COVID :laugh:

He's a hard working player and a nice person. Would like to see him under a different coach. He can still be a good cost controlled 3C/4C option for 3-5 years if he takes a step forward and we sell high on Strome.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Larry and the fans coached last night and we lost.... can we go back to leaning on our top players and winning now?

Reactions: kovazub94

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
the reason Messiers leadership was so important to the '94 team was because Keenan was a clown. he completely lost that team. you dont need a Messier if the coach isn't a clown. our coach is a clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->