Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sabres -- 4/3/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
I don't understand why our players "always" end up bunching together in clumps, trying little push passes at one another, back passes, chipping, etc. Are they being asked to support the puck carrier really really closely? It strikes me that many of those shifts where they're trapped in the zone, the puck comes to a clump of players near the blue line who have no outlet pass except for a back pass or slowly skating into a pair of opposing players who just stand there and cause a turnover.

These guys don't play that way because they want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: duhmetreE

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
To be fair, the kid has looked like a borderline NHL player to date. In one game, I saw more out of Kravstov than I have from Laf all season sans a couple of moments.
I have to agree....Kravs was moving his feet all the time ....it was the best part of the game watching him .I like !

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
giphy.gif

Reactions: egelband

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Why stop at Doan? Why not say Messier or some other legendary captain with multiple rings?

Not like I'm asking for a Hall of Famer.

Or for a guy that won cups.

Just a guy that had a fantastic reputation.

When you troll, at least make a better attempt.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not like I'm asking for a Hall of Famer.

Or for a guy that won cups.

Just a guy that had a fantastic reputation.

When you troll, at least make a better attempt.

If you forgot Doan has retired and just as realistic as Messier.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I’m disappointed in the entire two game set

I don’t pin either tying goal on Shesterkin that’s olafsson in the slot he’s got one of the best releases in the entire league and buzzed it by his ear.

I thought Shesterkin was great in both games although he was fighting the puck yesterday. That happens but good goalies still have good games in that situation.
Of course I’d love to see him shut the door there but this isn’t something that’s been an issue for him in his career. Wasn’t last year wasn’t in Hartford wasn’t in the khl. Couple of instances does not a career make. You want to talk about shutting the door look no further than the caps game last week shutting them out after two early goals.

I can’t be concerned with a rookie goalie playing 925 save percentage and a 2.27 gaa with great advanced stats.

My only concern with him is his health.

now as for the kids. They played great until they sat thru the second period. Quinn cannot continue to lose these kids for 10ins at a time and then be upset that they’re struggling when they get back out there.

kravtsov looked great smart responsible player who’s figured out that he can score a lot of goals from right in front and if not for a ridiculous save by a very good as usual ullmark he would have scored. He’s a much better fit on that line than Gauthier who also played really well on the fourth line which is where he should be honestly.

Blackwell is a nice story but I’d probably go Rooney Howden Gauthier going forward.

Mika just turns the lights off with Quinn. It was clear as day he was playing for knoblauch he just looks completely different under Quinn this year.
You lost me with advocating Howden back in the lineup. Hate to be blunt but the guy sucks plain and simple.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Rooney for sure. Gauthier isn’t coming out if he keeps playing the way he has the past few games. Blackwell has been very good and seems to have the coach’s trust. Rooney has been good but he and Howden do the same thing. It’ll be one or the other.
No Rooney has some skill sets and can score on occasion. Howden has no offensive capabilities period.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I don't understand why our players "always" end up bunching together in clumps, trying little push passes at one another, back passes, chipping, etc. Are they being asked to support the puck carrier really really closely? It strikes me that many of those shifts where they're trapped in the zone, the puck comes to a clump of players near the blue line who have no outlet pass except for a back pass or slowly skating into a pair of opposing players who just stand there and cause a turnover.

This team has a penchant for giving up late goals. I have lost count of how many games this year we gave up late goals in the final minutes to either lose games or forcing OT. A lot has to do with the lousy passing at times and spacing. No doubt about it. I venture to guess if we had eliminated half the games we blew at the end we would be in a playoff spot. This is on the coaching staff as much as players.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

that's our system. Isn't it beautiful

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm upset that Shesterkin has the talent that Hank has but right now he's a mental midget. And it's ok this year, but we'll go another career of a Ranger goalie that we won't win a cup if he doesn't become mentally stronger. I'm concerned about his future prospects, I really am.
I mean... expecting the team to get hall of fame goaltending every night is a bit of a high bar, no? Hank was a generational talent in net. Especially in his prime. We probably won’t see another goaltender on the team of that caliber in our lifetimes.

We need Igor to give the team a chance to win. And he did. He’ll also get better in the next few years.

I don’t think goaltending is the reason we lost this game though. It’s not like he let in two softies.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah. I would say controlled exits would be nice but even the ability to chip it out seems to disappear late in games. That's not all on the Rangers. The other team is usually desperate and has the extra skater at that point, so they're pressing.

Gaps between forwards and D were huge early in the season. Things have gone distressingly far the other way in correcting the problem.

I've personally never seen a team intentionally playing this style of close passing to advance the puck that seems to be a part of their repertoire now. It almost looks like a rugby scrum. It's a guaranteed turnover.

Reactions: duhmetreE

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Would be nice if shesty would come up
With some big saves in the final 5 minutes of these 1 goal games. If he can’t now how came we expect him when/if they get in the playoffs in the next few seasons. Too many blown games.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Right. And they never talk about it. I hope in the locker room they are. If the Rangers knew how to hold a late lead where'd they be right now? That +19 goal differential tells me solidly in playoff position.
Goal differentials are meaningless. No offense.

Running up the score in games against struggling teams like the Flyers doesn’t indicate whether a team will do well in the playoffs. It’s a meaningless statistic in this sport where you can face a goalie who is a head case and pad your stats.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Good to see the fans never change. Bummer that they lost. Making the playoffs hasn't been realistic anyway with it being Boston we're trailing.
But as they showed previous years, you keep trying for the playoffs and let things fall where they may.

Sure losing sucks, but I enjoyed watching Kravtsov, and his line looked pretty good. Kakko gets better all the time. We've got all kinds of talent.
I'm all in for this team next season. The rebuild is getting there. The fans making remarks about the GM, well good thing you're not the GM.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I’m surprised Hajek graded out like this tonight. He looked good to me. Smith, on the other hand.

Listen, I like the guy as a 7 but he shouldn’t be a fixture in the lineup.
+1 Also surprised on how Hajek graded. I thought he looked okay ‍♂️

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Would be nice if shesty would come up
With some big saves in the final 5 minutes of these 1 goal games. If he can’t now how came we expect him when/if they get in the playoffs in the next few seasons. Too many blown games.
They would have been down a few without him. Those late goals are way more on the skaters. We've got a ROOKIE goalie playing at a top ten in the league level.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
eh, Igor is 25.

I don’t really buy this “but he’s just a rookie” narrative.
Why, because it doesn't fit your woe is us narrative? He IS a rookie. He IS playing at a high level. He gave up 2 goals in 65 minutes. It's not his fault they lost. If he keeps his GAA in the low 2's, the offense should cover that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm pretty surprised that there are more than 2 people in here who are 100% okay with getting heavily out played by and losing to BUFFALO.

It's one thing if their goalie stands on his head and they get a few lucky breaks here and there. That didn't happen last night.

This season has been sunk, but they need to make some radical changes to this team with both the roster and the coaching staff.

+1 Also surprised on how Hajek graded. I thought he looked okay ‍♂️

I'm not surprised he graded out poorly, he was bad yesterday. I chuckled when MSG decided to spotlight him between the 2nd and 3rd.

Smith was worse and that pairing ended up getting killed, but he was plenty bad on his own.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Yeah. I would say controlled exits would be nice but even the ability to chip it out seems to disappear late in games. That's not all on the Rangers. The other team is usually desperate and has the extra skater at that point, so they're pressing.

Gaps between forwards and D were huge early in the season. Things have gone distressingly far the other way in correcting the problem.

I've personally never seen a team intentionally playing this style of close passing to advance the puck that seems to be a part of their repertoire now. It almost looks like a rugby scrum. It's a guaranteed turnover.
The team is very bad at creating 'layers', 'depth' and 'space' on transition/attack. It's poor to say the least.

We are so easy to defend

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
or I didn't watch the game but I'd like to file a complaint in case it turns out to be accurate.
No more like you were an annoying asshole last game and being annoying about legitimate complaints because “they won”. Well now they lost to the 8 win team they barley beat Thursday, still happy?

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
this team wont win shit until this coach is gone. kakko riding the pine for the entire OT was a joke. the "kid line" was the best line last night and the head coach didn't recognize it. this team has so much more talent than boston and even the islanders that it's not even funny. the difference is that their coaches are great.

also re: Hajek, i was laughing my ass off at the highlight package MSG showed in the third period and every play was him in his own zone with the puck on the other teams stick, like 7 or 8 different plays. he's bad.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->