Confirmed with Link: Rangers Reveal Liberty Jersey (and somehow mess it up)

Which one do you hope it's based on?

• Liberty

• 2012 Cream Winter Classic

• 2018 Navy Winter Classic

• "New York" Wordmark

• 1970's Rangers Crest

Results are only viewable after voting.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If anyone's curious, I'll share what I wrote on each of them:

BOS: Not much to say, classic Bruins jersey - 8.5/10
BUF: Like it, and wouldn't mind if they just went with these tbh - 7.5/10
DET: Again, bleh, but not sure what you're supposed to do with a Wings jersey - 3/10
FLA: A bit busy for me - 5.5/10
MTL: It's weird, but it's very, very nice. They took the risk other old teams wouldn't - 9/10
OTT: These look way better red than black. These should stick around - 8.5/10
TB: Got that dumb logo but it's retro so I can't penalize them. Other than that, this is what their jerseys should be - 7.5/10
TOR: Ugly Christmas sweater - 1/10

CAR: This whole "being a different team" thing rubs me the wrong way, but it's fine - 5/10
CBJ: It's literally a Washington Capitals jersey - 2/10
NJ: Finally went with a design that was long overdue. I believe there was an old EA game where they actually wore these, so that's cool as well - 10/10
NYI: They didn't do the project - 0/10
NYR: It's ok but they took a jersey that was already great and made it worse - 4/10
PHI: A lot going on, but it's nostalgic - 6/10
PIT: Fresh, yet nostalgic - 8/10
WSH: It's literally a Washington Capitals jersey except this time it's supposed to be - 6/5/10

ANA: So bad it's good, and it took balls to commit to it - 8/10
ARI: Best jersey in the entire set - 10/10
CGY: It's there. This jersey exists - 5/10
EDM: Second best jersey in the set - 10/10
LA: It's nice, but unsurprising - 7/10
SJ: Very busy and not feeling the grey at all - 2/10
VAN: I actually liked those back in the day and this is a nice re-up - 8/10
VGK: Pretty cool and they didn't have a ton to work with not being a "retro" team - 7/10

CHI: Like the Bruins, not much to say. A classic - 9/10
COL: Unpopular opinion but I always thought these jerseys were romanticized, the logo was always hideous, and again, being an entirely different team doesn't do it for me - 3.5/10
DAL: Most people agree that simple jerseys are good but this is a perfect example of trying to be simple for the sake of it, with a jersey that was always risky and different - 1/10
MIN: See Carolina and Colorado, but it is a nice jersey - 6.5/10
NSH: I actually love these. They look like old school Preds jerseys but cleaned up many of the problems with those sets - 9.5/10
STL: It's certainly red - 4.5/10
WPG: Pajamas - 2/10

Reactions: Harbour Dog

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I wish the new Liberty Jersey would have had a different design on the arms. Would have preferred for a red number inside of a white band around the biceps. Had they done something simple like that, it would have been pretty dope. Kinda like a version of a Team USA jersey.

Reactions: NYRangers16

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
On the first look, the jersey is a bit underwhelming. In comparison to alternatives (suggestions) it seems the missing pieces are red accents on sleeves. Let’s see how these look with hockey pants and the whole gear on. Also if the team will be winning wearing these then more fans will come around.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I warped the image a bit to see how it would look if the jersey fit better and wasn't on the awkward scrawny models body lmao

kSaCeow.jpg

rwDzygI.jpg

Reactions: Mikos87 and Cmox

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Should just bring back the 85th anniversary or any of the outdoor jerseys, were far superior than this boring mess.

Reactions: Kane One

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
If anything, I do think the jersey will look better in the full uniform. The red pants will contrast the navy blue jersey so that it won't look as bland. Also, the horrible NHLShop.com customization makes the lettering and numbers look horrible. I'm sure it'll look better with the on ice jersey stitching. Still pretty boring all things considered though and a general let down.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If anything, I do think the jersey will look better in the full uniform. The red pants will contrast the navy blue jersey so that it won't look as bland. Also, the horrible NHLShop.com customization makes the lettering and numbers look horrible. I'm sure it'll look better with the on ice jersey stitching. Still pretty boring all things considered though and a general let down.
God I hope those aren’t the actual numbers/names, they look like cheap ironed on ones that would come on a fake from China or a “jersey” they sell at Walmart. Hopefully the jerseys have actual layers of stitching

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The jersey isn't bad by any means. I just feel they could have done so much more with it. It's underwhelming if anything.

Imagine if they added a simple red cube around the NHL logo on the collar, or a red-white stripe around the waist. That would go a long way towards making this look like a game jersey rathter than a practice jersey

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
It's weird because a lot of non-Rangers fans seemingly really like this jersey.

I think we as Rangers fans are so used to having stripes or some sort of accent on the bottom of the jersey which makes the absence of a similar design on this one look "bland" to us.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm in the could have been better bucket. I could have done without the stripes, and the gray on the numbers is a little off unless the lighting in the picture is inaccurate. The netted material on the shoulder gives it more of a performance athlete gear vibe instead of a cold weather sweater look. Stitching is a little to visible.

Let's see what they do with the next one. Liberty logo looks great. The blue is a very trendy blue.

The more they push towards a lifestyle athleisure wear, the more money they will make imo. Think you have to go with both feet in here. Does Adidas have final say over the designs?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm in the could have been better bucket. I could have done without the stripes, and the gray on the numbers is a little off unless the lighting in the picture is inaccurate. The netted material on the shoulder gives it more of a performance athlete gear vibe instead of a cold weather sweater look. Stitching is a little to visible.

Let's see what they do with the next one. Liberty logo looks great. The blue is a very trendy blue.

The more they push towards a lifestyle athleisure wear, the more money they will make imo. Think you have to go with both feet in here. Does Adidas have final say over the designs?

I think Adidas gives teams a lot of freedom which is very rare for them to do. In other sports, they are very serious about their branding, even forcing teams to have 3 stripes on the sleeves. This caused some outrage over the years in Europe where several teams refused to wear 3 stripes on it and they compromised to only have it for Champions League games (Ajax is a good example).

With hockey, and the NHL, they seem to be more lenient to just let teams do what they want. Look at the other designs out there. Dallas, Arizona, LA, Vancouver, Buffalo. There's a lot of creativity put into these designs. It's just not what the Rangers do apparently. They play it safe, never take any risks

Reactions: Mikos87

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Adidas gives teams a lot of freedom which is very rare for them to do. In other sports, they are very serious about their branding, even forcing teams to have 3 stripes on the sleeves. This caused some outrage over the years in Europe where several teams refused to wear 3 stripes on it and they compromised to only have it for Champions League games (Ajax is a good example).

With hockey, and the NHL, they seem to be more lenient to just let teams do what they want. Look at the other designs out there. Dallas, Arizona, LA, Vancouver, Buffalo. There's a lot of creativity put into these designs. It's just not what the Rangers do apparently. They play it safe, never take any risks

Got it thanks. Okay cool yeah so then it was a missed opportunity. You can always do the three stripes on the bottom of the jersey with matching colors. My reaction is that I wouldn't wear it outside of a game. So that's what makes me pause a bit. I'll check out the others.

Good new is that you can always make another iteration. Bigger markets = More Jerseys = More Money imo.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I would say that the stripes from the EDM jersey are pretty snazzy looking.

In no particular order: ARI, LA, MTL, QUE, MIN, NJ, BOS & EDM are on the cusp of athleisure wear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad