Rangers retooled prospect pool

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I love how everyone that doesn't sing praises is a hater. It's like the world is black and white, guess what? It is not. The list you provided can be matched by others, it is not loaded, it is a reasonably strong pool heavily bolstered by a single player.
You literally said that nothing Gorton has done requires praise, and now you say its a reasonably strong pool.

We had nothing before.

Does that not warrant praise? or are you just hating?

Reactions: bl02

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I love how everyone that doesn't sing praises is a hater. It's like the world is black and white, guess what? It is not. The list you provided can be matched by others, it is not loaded, it is a reasonably strong pool heavily bolstered by a single player.

Uh...not that I disagree with your general sentiment, but heavily bolstered by a single player is just...wrong.

If I recall, Kravtsov, Shestyorkin, and Miller all ranked in the midseason top 50 prospects not in the NHL. Kravtsov was Button's #1! Now they add either Hughes or Kakko and probably graduate 3 of those into the NHL in September? Adding atop Chytil (who by all accounts would have been a top 5 in 2018 if he were just a hair younger) - they're in phenomenal shape for the future.

They're still easily a year or two off, and undeniably - adding Kakko or Hughes is a MONSTER add to the pool, but let's not be purposefully myopic.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
it is a reasonably strong pool heavily bolstered by a single player.

Vitaly Kravtsov just outpaced most D+1 Russian players in KHL production. Had a higher point share than guys like Kuznetsov did. Scoring is different in the NHL, not sure about the KHL. Still a top 10 prospect outside the NHL, and some had him in the top 5 or at 1 (Button).

Filip Chytil, who will be 20 at the beginning of next season, put up 23 points in the NHL as a 19 year old. He was not a top 5 pick, nor a top 10 pick, but a late first. His AHL numbers the year before compare to Pastrnak.

K'Andre Miller just was top 3 in points by NCAA Freshmen. He plays defense. Similar production to Zach Werenski.

Shestyorkin just had his best season in the KHL. His numbers are insane. His team is on of the best in the KHL, but he is part of the reason for that. If his numbers aren't to your liking, Georgiev just posted a .914 SV% on a team with little to no defense.

I didn't even bring up Lias Andersson who hasn't improved his stock since being drafted, but started to look the part late this season.

Nils Lundkvist, who had similar production in the SHL as other top NHL defenders. He could anchor the Swedish WJC defense this upcoming tourney.

That's just 6 guys. There are others. Now add Hughes/Kakko. On top of their already young NHL roster. It's going to be a top 5 pool by the summer.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I know who Kravtsov is and how he projects, he is a very good prospect, but certainly not #1 prospect in the world. Furthermore, I probably saw him play more than 90% of your board combined. Same goes for Shestryokin. The claim about SKA not playing defense is absurd. They control the games from start to finish and are camped in the other team's offensive zone most of the time given that they are two levels about pretty much all the teams save for a few of them. He faces 23 shots per game on average and has fallen flat on his face in the playoffs.

PS

Messed up the part with Georgiev and Shestryokin. Mea culpa.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Do you realize that this is from a team that didn’t have a first for four years? And no second for a few of those years too.

Before the Andersson and Chytil draft, the most recent first we made was Skjei who was at the end of the first round 4 years prior.

Given that, yes he’s done a very good job building an actual prospect pool in about 2 years.

Reactions: Gordie Howe Army

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I know who Kravtsov is and how he projects, he is a very good prospect, but certainly not #1 prospect in the world. Furthermore, I probably saw him play more than 90% of your board combined. Same goes for Shestryokin. The claim about SKA not playing defense is absurd. They control the games from start to finish and are camped in the other team's offensive zone most of the time given that they are two levels about pretty much all the teams save for a few of them. He faces 23 shots per game on average and has fallen flat on his face in the playoffs.

oooh swing and a miss. He was talking about Georgiev

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Do you realize that this is from a team that didn’t have a first for four years? And no second for a few of those years too.

Before the Andersson and Chytil draft, the most recent first we made was Skjei who was at the end of the first round 4 years prior.

Giving that, yes he’s done a very good job building an actual prospect pool in about 2 years.

My point is that those guys didn't just appear there. They were received by trading assets left by others and by the quality of the roster diminishing allowing for high picks. We'll see if he deserves credit when they'll need to return back to relevance, that's what matters, not having your prospect pool ranked highly by scribes.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
My point is that those guys didn't just appear there. They were received by trading assets left by others and by the quality of the roster diminishing allowing for high picks. We'll see if he deserves credit when they'll need to return back to relevance, that's what matters, not having your prospect pool ranked highly by scribes.
Guess who made those trades? And who’s job it is to do that?

It all matters. It’s all part of the job. He got a team that needed a rebuild and that’s what he’s been doing.

Kaapo Cabana

Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

VelvetyAgileHarrierhawk.webp

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The players listed below are the definition of loaded? You have one franchise level player there that you lucked in to.

1. Jack Hughes/Kaapo Kakko
2. Vitali Kravtsov
3. Filip Chytil
4. Igor Shestyorkin
5. Lias Andersson
Shestyorkin is arguably the best goalie prospect in the world and at the very least, top 3
Kravtsov just put up similar numbers to Tarasenko and Kuznetsov and will be over next season. Projects to be a 70 point 2 way winger
Chytil looks like a potential future top line winger
Lias has looked good since the call up and should be a good middle 6 option going forward. Great defensively
And then there’s other guys I mentioned in my post on the first page. That’s an incredible pool and certainly is loaded
Sure we lucked into Kakko, but we haven’t had that high of a pick in over 50 years. We rebuilt the “right” way and didn’t pathetically tank. We deserved Kakko honestly

Reactions: bl02

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Nor is he very good

That’s a really dumb thing to say about a kid who can’t legally drink here in the US for another 18 months.

23 points in 75 games while showing the occasional flashes of brilliance.

You deserve a timeout. Go sit in a corner. No iPad for an hour.

Reactions: Wease

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
That’s a really dumb thing to say about a kid who can’t legally drink here in the US for another 18 months.

23 points in 75 games while showing the occasional flashes of brilliance.

You deserve a timeout. Go sit in a corner. No iPad for an hour.

“Awful statistical season but flashes of brilliance”

I mean he’ll be a solid player and maybe a good second line guy but he’s overhyped imo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
“Awful statistical season but flashes of brilliance”

I mean he’ll be a solid player and maybe a good second line guy but he’s overhyped imo

We don’t know what player Chytil will develop into, so labeling him as not “very good” is straight up dumb. He’s 19 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad