Waived: Rangers Release Maxim Lapierre from PTO

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The worry was 100% justfied. If you can't see that then I seriously wonder what team youve been watching for the past 3 years.

Need I list the superior players we lost so that Tanner Glass could have a job?

Apples and oranges--one player has a contract, the other was given a PTO as a favor because the team needed to have enough veterans to dress in the pre-season games due to the World Cup schedule.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Have we really gotten to the point where we are sure AV is not going to make mystifying roster and lineup decisions?

Good to know. Must have been a productive summer while I was away.

Nothing AV has ever done has mystified me. I might not agree with some of the things you think are mystifying, but they're explainable in more than just saying "it's his guy"

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nothing AV has ever done has mystified me. I might not agree with some of the things you think are mystifying, but they're explainable in more than just saying "it's his guy"

Over the last two years, away from Dominic Moore, Glass started nearly 60% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

This is a player who put up 0.57 points/60 during that time, ranking 641st in the NHL.

For a coach who has a long resume of being a zone starts coach, and for a player who produces next to no offense and lives in the offensive zone, it's an open acknowledgement from said coach that said player sucks and needs to be babied.

And yet, he stays in the lineup. I'd love to hear the explanation.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Over the last two years, away from Dominic Moore, Glass started nearly 60% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

This is a player who put up 0.57 points/60 during that time, ranking 641st in the NHL.

For a coach who has a long resume of being a zone starts coach, and for a player who produces next to no offense and lives in the offensive zone, it's an open acknowledgement from said coach that said player sucks and needs to be babied.

And yet, he stays in the lineup. I'd love to hear the explanation.

And I've given an explanation. Repeatedly. It's all about group dynamics and personality.

I've always thought that his negatives outweigh whatever positives he brings, but I certainly get why AV likes having Glass in. It's a decision I disagree with, but it's not mysterious

*Bob Richards*

Best thing he ever did for us was get bodied by Brassard two postseasons ago.

"Take a ****in' seat, baby".

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And I've given an explanation. Repeatedly. It's all about group dynamics and personality.

I've always thought that his negatives outweigh whatever positives he brings, but I certainly get why AV likes having Glass in. It's a decision I disagree with, but it's not mysterious

"He sucks at hockey, but the boys like him."

Still seems pretty mysterious to me, but fair enough. To be fair, AV isn't the only coach left in the NHL with this mentality.

In fact one of them just coached the national team, and fit as many grinders as you can possibly fit on a national team.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Still seems pretty mysterious to me, but fair enough. To be fair, AV isn't the only coach left in the NHL with this mentality.

In fact one of them just coached the national team, and fit as many grinders as you can possibly fit on a national team.

90% sure just about every coach in the NHL balances decisions based on group dynamics with decisions based on more quantifiable elements. Honestly, besides strategy, it's the very definition of coaching.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
90% sure just about every coach in the NHL balances decisions based on group dynamics with decisions based on more quantifiable elements. Honestly, besides strategy, it's the very definition of coaching.

And what has this decision reaped? I haven't seen anything positive from it -_-

And there in lies the mystery

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009

I don't think the explanation is exactly right, though the boys must like him as much as the next guy.

The coach must see him as able to attack the defense and disrupt a bit. Just for a change of pace it might have its use, especially if done by a better player. Sigh.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think the explanation is exactly right, though the boys must like him as much as the next guy.

The coach must see him as able to attack the defense and disrupt a bit. Just for a change of pace it might have its use, especially if done by a better player. Sigh.

That last part is tied to his physicality. His locker room and bench presence is definitely a factor. His work ethic is also one, tied into the fact that the coach doesn't have to worry about Glass executing what he's asked. Last year, that was sorely needed among the forwards.

These things aren't secrets. It just requires putting a little effort into the analysis beyond "I don't like him and the coach has him in, therefore the coach is being stupid."

Again, I would have made a different decision. It's just not that hard to understand the decision that was made.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And what has this decision reaped? I haven't seen anything positive from it -_-

And there in lies the mystery

So your point is that group dynamics shouldn't even factor in to to coaching decisions and there's positives to be had from going against those dynamics?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->