Recalled/Assigned: Rangers recall Phillip Di Giuseppe from Wolfpack and assign Steven Fogarty to Wolfpack

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lettieri is--to steal a basketball term--a volume shooter. He likely will not have the opportunity to get the volume he needs playing on our fourth line. He has also shown thus far that he can't really find the space to get off his shot at the NHL level.

I wouldn't really care if we called him up, but I wouldn't expect him to do much. He's also useless if he's not scoring.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
If I recall Di Giuseppe is a really fast skater correct? Maybe he and McKegg can find some chemistry together since both can fly.
Maybe they can skate around the net a bunch with the puck? Heck, maybe they’ll surprise us all and have awesome zone entries? I mean As much as mckegg gets shit on he is a good skater and shows flashes of containing the puck.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Maybe they can skate around the net a bunch with the puck? Heck, maybe they’ll surprise us all and have awesome zone entries? I mean As much as mckegg gets **** on he is a good skater and shows flashes of containing the puck.

I prefer McKegg to Haley, and Smith up front who should replace Staal full time in my opinion

Reactions: Cmox

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Unless I missed it, Fogarty didn't go through waivers despite not being exempt which would point to Fogarty being an emergency call up at the time

Reactions: nyr2k2

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe they can skate around the net a bunch with the puck? Heck, maybe they’ll surprise us all and have awesome zone entries? I mean As much as mckegg gets **** on he is a good skater and shows flashes of containing the puck.

DiG can skate, and I thought McKegg looked effective out there. The team doesn't roll that 4th unit so it's hard to establish anything out there. But you need your grinders to throw a few hits, block shots, and provide energy. McKegg doesn't look lost or confused out there, and he plays a sound positional game.

The 4th line has been lifeless all year, so any injection to that unit would help.

Playing Haley and Smith, a guy who can't play the game outside of fisticuffs, and a guy who can't play defense.... for how many games? To me that move is idiotic at the NHL level. I don't think that's something that I want to watch to pay. The idiocy. The 40 games or so of crippling your own line-up to get what out of Smith and Haley?

Reactions: Cmox

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
At this point, I think I'd just make this my 4th line and call it a day for now.

Beleskey - Di Giuseppe - Lettieri

Adds some grit a little speed and shooting to the bottom 6.

Haley, Smith GTFO...

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I hope. I mean I can remember like two seasons maybe where the fourth line was legit. This administration is basically the old administration so I worry that they'll do a bad job with it, too. Really our fourth line has been a joke for much of the last 15 years. Part of it is the insistence on carrying goons.

Also re: Beleskey, I'm pretty sure he'd have been up if not for his cap number. I think the team wants to bank as much space as possible. If he's still around after the TDL he probably comes up.
Thanks for that, because I really think there is a legit spot for him on this team and wondered why he is buried. Just that I kind of didnt equate it into $$ issue. We need too be harder to play against. If that means tougher, than so be it. Having Beleskey on 4th is probably better than having McKegg.
Certainly better than Haley, as Beleskey has a bit of talent, albeit NOT a whole lot, granted.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Thanks for that, because I really think there is a legit spot for him on this team and wondered why he is buried. Just that I kind of didnt equate it into $$ issue. We need too be harder to play against. If that means tougher, than so be it. Having Beleskey on 4th is probably better than having McKegg.
Certainly better than Haley, as Beleskey has a bit of talent, albeit NOT a whole lot, granted.
McKegg has been super disappointing, IMO. I'm not a big Beleskey fan, but yeah, I'd take him over McKegg.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
4th line has been garbage for three years now. This team needs to address it.

I don't know what Gettinger did so wrong. He looked fine.
Agree on GETTINGER wish it could be with McKegger and DiG, but who would play center? Would be a "fast and furious" line. Lol.
I disagree with focusing on 4th line. You build your solid top 9, and let the chips fall where they may. But do think it's a necessary evil "at the proper time".

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
At this point, I think I'd just make this my 4th line and call it a day for now.

Beleskey - Di Giuseppe - Lettieri

Adds some grit a little speed and shooting to the bottom 6.

Haley, Smith GTFO...
I think there’s a chance Belesky comes up after the dust settles at the trade deadline and the Rangers figure out how much money they have left to spend,

Reactions: NYR

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'd have to go back and look at a list of the 4th lines but I feel like our 4th lines have been pretty good until recent years with the rebuild...starting with the hbo line then boyle, moore, prust, etc

Yeah, and a big trend have always been that when our 4th line have worked, so have the team.

4th line has been garbage for three years now. This team needs to address it.

I don't know what Gettinger did so wrong. He looked fine.

I like Smith in a way, but, the game is rigged for whatever linemates he have a on a 4th because its just impossible to get anything meaningful done the way that line have to play with Smith on it.

Just to play a straight forward 4th line hockey game, there is still a lot of room to be smart about how you go about it. But when Smith is out there its just total chaos and that will never pay off. I know that many feel that Smith in fact is the one that gets the most done on the ice all the time, DQ obviously feels that too. Its 'sure our 4th is maybe the worst in the league, but Smith is the one that actually make a good play here and there'. But I think that is very deceiving. The way that line plays right now, just trying to berserk the ice, sure that fits Smiths. But he drags whatever other linemate he has down with him. I think many would be surprised by just how much better like even a Gettinger-Boo-Fog line would look.

A big problem with Smith is that he totally takes himself out of the equation on the forecheck. He is the point on the forecheck. The point's premier assignment is to take away the pass up center ice. Steer the pass the defender have to make to either side of the ice, and then stay with his guy. Smith however completely disregards that side of the job. He comes in crashing after the puck, and sure he will catch a defender off guard because normally the high forechecker won't risk selling himself too easy. But waaaaay too often Smith just ends up on his but, seem to catch a rut or whatever, and its wide open for the other team to move the puck up center ice and we also lose coverage of the defender that made the pass.

Obviously DQ disagrees, but I think that Smith's ability as a high forechecker on a 4th line is way below what is acceptable. And I feel bad for Fogarthy and co., he worked so hard for his chance, and then when he gets it, its under these conditions...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad