Proposal: Rangers realistic retool

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
I'm bored so let's do this.
First we sign our RFAs:
- Chris Kreider: 3,75Mx4y (2 UFA years, he still has to prove if he's a true NHL top sixer)
- JT Miller: 3Mx3y
- Kevin Hayes: 2Mx2y
- Dylan McIlrath: 1Mx2y

That makes a roster of 11F (counting with one rookie, probably Buchnevich, and also counting with Glass, who should be demoted), 7D and 2 goalies. For a total cap of 68.4, which means 4.6 of cap space.
It is a lot more than what we had in the last few years and it can be increased in several ways:
- Glass to the AHL. Cap space = 5,55
- Trade Nash to Nashville :))), which seem to be the team most interested (only based on the reaction of their fans in some trade proposals but whatever). In return we get a 2nd round pick in 2017 and Colin Wilson (3.9M cap hit). Nashville adds 4M which is not that much, but we could discuss a deal with a retention asking for more in return. That leave us with 9,4 M in cap space which is insane for us.
- Now, since this intends to be a realistic thread I won't talk about trading Staal/Girardi, but if that is even possible the cap space number would be even more beautiful.

So now what would we do with that space? Leaving 1M for emergency callups it is 8.4 millions having to fill only 2 or 3 spots on F, or another on D since Skjei can be sent down. I'd do these signings:
For depth:
- Justin Schultz: 2.5Mx1y
- Riley Nash: 1.25Mx2y
And that leaves us with around 5 millions for a biggest signing. Our biggest issue to fix is the lack of mobility of our defense, but we'd hope that McDonagh, Schultz and Skjei is good enough for that, so we go for a fix in the second issue of last year which was the PK. We'd sign Loui Eriksson at 5.5Mx4y, which is excellent in that department (and in many others).
We'd be slightly over the cap but we could send some of these guys down if it doesn't work out in camp.

This would be the opening night roster:

Miller-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Eriksson
Wilson-Hayes-Buchnevich
Lindberg-Nash-Fast
Extra: Jensen (since he needs to be put on waivers, we'd resign him at 750K)

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Schultz
Skjei-Girardi
Extras: McIlrath, Holden

Lundqvist
Raanta

Next year we'd protect:
1G: Lundqvist
3Ds: McDonagh, Staal, Girardi (hopefully one of them waives his NMC to be exposed, since LV won't take them and we could protect Klein or McIlrath, if not he have to trade one and expose the other, to meet the requirements).
7Fs: Zuccarello, Brassard, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Eriksson and Wilson/Hayes (whoever has a better season, trying to trade the other).
Probable pick up by Las Vegas: Raanta, Fast, Lindberg or McIlrath.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
Isn't McIlrath that player that a bunch of Rangers fans were saying that he was developing very well and was comparable to Fowler? What happened to him?

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
Isn't McIlrath that player that a bunch of Rangers fans were saying that he was developing very well and was comparable to Fowler? What happened to him?

That's true but with Girardi, Staal, McIlrath and Klein our D would be very one dimensional and we'd need someone who excels at moving the puck even if he's not that good in other aspects. That's why it could be worth to sign Schultz and keep McIlrath as the 7th D, which is what AV would probably do (I'd put him over Girardi but that doesn't seem realistic).

Group Chat Legend*

Nope. Increases the cap space from 4.6 to 5.5.
900K, which is the maximum I think (since his contract is 1.4 we still carry 500K of his contract).

Ah gotcha.

Rangers should just retool over a few years, not force their hands to try and compete again next year. Better options if you wait, plus that roster isn't all that impressive

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey

He was never comparable to Fowler (kind of like an apples to oranges thing), but the reason why their names are tied n your mind is because the Rangers controversially picked McIlrath over Fowler when Fowler was the overwhelmingly favorably viewed d-man between the two.

McIlrath has been as advertised, a long-term, crease clearing tough guy project. Likewise, Fowler has also been as advertised as a mobile, good offensive defenseman. Fowler cracked the NHL very young however, and if the Rangers could go back I'm sure they'd take Fowler. With that said though, McIlrath is still a very serviceable bottom pairing guy that brings some real grit and can answer the bell to anyone. His biggest problem is AV however, he's just not a fan of him unfortunately.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
First we sign our RFAs:
- Chris Kreider: 3,75Mx4y (2 UFA years, he still has to prove if he's a true NHL top sixer)

That makes a roster of 11F (counting with one rookie, probably Buchnevich, and also counting with Glass, who should be demoted), 7D and 2 goalies. For a total cap of 68.4, which means 4.6 of cap space.
It is a lot more than what we had in the last few years and it can be increased in several ways:
- Trade Nash to Nashville :))), which seem to be the team most interested (only based on the reaction of their fans in some trade proposals but whatever). In return we get a 2nd round pick in 2017 and Colin Wilson (3.9M cap hit). Nashville adds 4M which is not that much, but we could discuss a deal with a retention asking for more in return. That leave us with 9,4 M in cap space which is insane for us.
- Now, since this intends to be a realistic thread I won't talk about trading Staal/Girardi, but if that is even possible the cap space number would be even more beautiful.

So now what would we do with that space? Leaving 1M for emergency callups it is 8.4 millions having to fill only 2 or 3 spots on F, or another on D since Skjei can be sent down. I'd do these signings:
For depth:
And that leaves us with around 5 millions for a biggest signing. Our biggest issue to fix is the lack of mobility of our defense, but we'd hope that McDonagh, Schultz and Skjei is good enough for that, so we go for a fix in the second issue of last year which was the PK. We'd sign Loui Eriksson at 5.5Mx4y, which is excellent in that department (and in many others).
We'd be slightly over the cap but we could send some of these guys down if it doesn't work out in camp.

Kreider-Stepan-Eriksson
Wilson-Hayes-Buchnevich
Lindberg-Nash-Fast

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Schultz
Skjei-Girardi

Lundqvist
Raanta

Next year we'd protect:
3Ds: McDonagh, Staal, Girardi (hopefully one of them waives his NMC to be exposed, since LV won't take them and we could protect Klein or McIlrath, if not he have to trade one and expose the other, to meet the requirements).
7Fs: Zuccarello, Brassard, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Eriksson and Wilson/Hayes (whoever has a better season, trying to trade the other).
Okay so Eriksson pretty much turned dowm Boston who pretty much offered him what you've here at $5.5M per for 4 years because he wants at least 6x6 to sign somewhere why would he take less to play in New York then Boston and I'm pretty sure on the open market Eriksson will get far more then $5.5Mx4 no way does he sign for that when he just turned down about that much to resign with Boston.

Group Chat Legend*

He was never comparable to Fowler (kind of like an apples to oranges thing), but the reason why their names are tied n your mind is because the Rangers controversially picked McIlrath over Fowler when Fowler was the overwhelmingly favorably viewed d-man between the two.

McIlrath has been as advertised, a long-term, crease clearing tough guy project. Likewise, Fowler has also been as advertised as a mobile, good offensive defenseman.

McIlrath will be nothing more than a bottom pairing dman, he is not what was advertised considering he got taken before Fowler, who at worst is a good #3

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
First we sign our RFAs:

For depth:

Kreider-Stepan-Eriksson
Wilson-Hayes-Buchnevich
Lindberg-Nash-Fast

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Schultz
Skjei-Girardi

Lundqvist
Raanta

Next year we'd protect:

Right off the bat you likely arent getting Kreider at $3.75 mil for four years with buying two UFA years.

You might be able to bridge him at $3.75 mil, but you arent getting him at that rate rolling into UFA years.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
McIlrath will be nothing more than a bottom pairing dman, he is not what was advertised considering he got taken before Fowler, who at worst is a good #3

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I said the clear consensus was that Fowler was the better overall d-man, but McIlrath controversially was picked ahead of him anyway. It was only in NYR management's mind that McIlrath was viewed as a better pick at that time.

Either way, both the Rangers and Anaheim were wrong since they both passed on Tarasenko. That's an entirely different topic though.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think you may have misunderstood what I said. I said the clear consensus was that Fowler was the better overall d-man, but McIlrath controversially was picked ahead of him anyway. It was only in NYR management's mind that McIlrath was viewed as a better pick at that time.

Either way, both the Rangers and Anaheim were wrong since they both passed on Tarasenko. That's an entirely different topic though.

Exactly, he wasn't compared to Fowler at all. It coms down to Rangers selecting Del Zotto the year before. He was our Skating, puck moving, joining the rush D-man.

On top of that, we just took Matt Gilroy (Yeah, that didn't work), he was also a guy we pegged moving the puck and joining the rush because of his skating ability. There was still hope for Staal to become a guy chipping in on the offense, and Girardi was really our rugged D-man. Rangers were losing Rozsival and Redden was playing in a position he couldn't contribute in.

The idea was to get tougher. Who is the guy protecting Hank, clearing out that crease? That's why Dylan was taken. It certainly wasn't because his skill set was compared to Fowler. If anything, I remember at least half or more Ranger fans wanting Senko over Fowler.

Dylan was a bad pick. I don't think you will find a Ranger fan who disagrees with that.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Pretty sure Kreider and Miller will not get bridge deals. Both likely going to be 4.5 and over 4 respectively

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I would rather take Brandon Pirri, Thomas Vanek, Jamie Mcginn, or Michael Grabner or at least Pirri and Brett Connoly instead of Erikkson. In three years we will all be like with the SAME nash situation with a little less money to deal with.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kreider will a long term deal and Gorts should offer max 8 yrs
start low, add guaranteed increase per
will wind up w. 3,x to start and finish around 4.5 ish avg

Miller, have to see what #s he is open to

McIl, don't be crazy but don't be penny wise, pound foolish stingy either

Hayes not long term but more than 1-2 yrs

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Nice effort and well reasoned OP.
That lineup, if attainable, is pretty solid imo.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Right off the bat you likely arent getting Kreider at $3.75 mil for four years with buying two UFA years.

You might be able to bridge him at $3.75 mil, but you arent getting him at that rate rolling into UFA years.

Pretty sure Kreider and Miller will not get bridge deals. Both likely going to be 4.5 and over 4 respectively

sorry I effed up see prior post

I would rather take Brandon Pirri, Thomas Vanek, Jamie Mcginn, or Michael Grabner or at least Pirri and Brett Connoly instead of Erikkson. In three years we will all be like with the SAME nash situation with a little less money to deal with.

Vanek has nothing lef
Grabnernot so much either.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Kreider will a long term deal and Gorts should offer max 8 yrs
start low, add guaranteed increase per
will wind up w. 3,x to start and finish around 4.5 ish avg

Miller, have to see what #s he is open to

McIl, don't be crazy but don't be penny wise, pound foolish stingy either

Hayes not long term but more than 1-2 yrs

I just don't think Kreider would do that.

If he could just find a middling level of consistency, he could hit 30 goals. He scored most of his 20+ in the first and last 15 games.

IF he hit that plateau, his agent would be looking for a big contract.

As such, I think they will settle on a 2 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->