Prospect Info: Rangers ranked #1 by The Athletic

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not me, I'm hoping we land a 1C and can then trade Zibanejad someday for a 1D. Andersson or Chytil slots in as the 2C long term.

There is a whole lot of wishcasting in this post. I have extreme doubts either Chytil (who has yet to show he’s a center at the NHL level) or Andersson who has yet to show he’s a 3C let alone a 2C at the NHL will ever be the player Zibanejad is right now. And Zibanejad is only going to get better with Panarin and Kakko on his wings. And frankly, with Miller, Trouba, Fox, Lundkvist and Robertson in the cold, getting a 1D is not really my concern.

Get me a legitimate highly skilled center to slot in behind Zibanejad, and this team is more than good to go.

Reactions: Stasis

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There is a whole lot of wishcasting in this post. I have extreme doubts either Chytil (who has yet to show he’s a center at the NHL level) or Andersson who has yet to show he’s a 3C let alone a 2C at the NHL will ever be the player Zibanejad is right now. And Zibanejad is only going to get better with Panarin and Kakko on his wings. And frankly, with Miller, Trouba, Fox, Lundkvist and Robertson in the cold, getting a 1D is not really my concern.

Get me a legitimate highly skilled center to slot in behind Zibanejad, and this team is more than good to go.

To me Chytil is primed to be a high end center in the NHL I’m a few years but it’s really not an issue. To me the question is not Zibanejad ability to be 1C or 1C(B) if someone like Chytil were to take over. It’s forking out a 7-year contract at $9-10m when he’s 29.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
To me Chytil is primed to be a high end center in the NHL I’m a few years but it’s really not an issue. To me the question is not Zibanejad ability to be 1C or 1C(B) if someone like Chytil were to take over. It’s forking out a 7-year contract at $9-10m when he’s 29.

I’m not convinced he’s a center.

Reactions: Trxjw

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
You’ll see the error in your ways shortly.

If Chytil gets Kreider on his wing, look out. If he gets Kreider and one of Kakko/Kravstov/Buch? He’ll excel, I think.
That would be fantastic, having a solution to probably the biggest question mark in the entire lineup solved without having to go outside the organization. I'm with you though I think Fil has the capabilities to excel as a center.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You’ll see the error in your ways shortly.

If Chytil gets Kreider on his wing, look out. If he gets Kreider and one of Kakko/Kravstov/Buch? He’ll excel, I think.

To quote Jeff Gorton at the end of the year when asked about Chytil being a center, “the jury is still out.”

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
After a peak at Traverse I’d be pretty comfortable with letting Kravstov ride shotgun to Panarin and Zbad where he can use his creativity and be the “least” of the opposing team’s worries, giving him some space to be dangerous. He’d undoubtedly thrive with those guys. Couldn’t see him not approaching 50 points on that line.

Kaako drives play more. I wouldn’t at all mind a second line of Kreider, Chytil, Kaako. This is not exactly chump change. Chytil should take a step and Kreider is a good vet who creates space. I think these two as our top lines would be quiet good.

Run Lemieux and Buchnevich on the wings on the third line. You can rotate any and all of Strome, Howden, Andersson and Namestnikov through center. Start with Strome probably. Lemieux has upside and his energy is contagious and would rub off well on all of those guys who might need a little extra kick in the pants, as he seemed to be a good influence on Buch last year. I like keeping them together. With a little chemistry that’s a very solid third line.

Fourth line is Namestnikov, Howden/Andersson, and Fast. I don’t like burying a kid on the fourth line but Namestnikov and Fast aren’t plugs like some fourth lines and they both have good two-way games. Could be a nice responsible line that takes advantage of some softer matchups.

We could definitely roll four lines with a fairly good distribution. Certainly not equal, but we don’t need to limit our fourth line to 6 minutes a game.

Reactions: egelband

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
upload_2019-9-11_8-52-30.png

upload_2019-9-11_8-52-43.png

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/st...ols-top-prospects-breakouts-more-all-31-teams

Chris Peters has the Rangers with the #1 prospect pool.

1-Rangers
2-Kings
3-Avs
4-Habs
5-Devils
6-Van
7-Flyers
8-Ducks
9-Hawks
10-Sens

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
when u can bring KK, VK, k'andre, fox and igor as your top 5, thats impressive.

thats 5 legit top guys right there

2 top line forwards.
2 top 4 dmen
and a young netminder with #1 upside.

I've been down on the draft resume in the past- especially the gordie clark picks, but the recent picks have been excellent.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Reactions: jas

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm ok with his rankings of our top ten but disagree with the tiers. I think Shesty, Lundkvist, and Robertson are all A's and Rykov and Hajek are B's.
I think Robertson could very well be an A, but needs to show us why in his D+1 season.

People were all over talking up Keane after he was drafted, and I think he's kind of middling at this point.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Corey Pronman did a story about the prospect tournaments. With regard to the Rangers, he said he had received much criticism from Ranger fans about his rankings of Barron, Lundqvist, Rykov and Reunanen. He reiterated his skating concerns about Barron and Rykov but said he could have ranked Reunanen a half tier higher based on his skill level, hockey sense and his Liiga play. Bumping him a half tier higher would have moved his ranking from 22 to the 10-15 range. That's really more consistent with most of the other rankings. I still think he is too low on Barron and Rykov. The good news is that in five years we will know who is correct.

He also talked about Adam Fox who he said had a great tournament with some scouts he talked to saying he was the best player at the tournament. He also said Fox clearly is a top four defensemen because of his skill and sense although he noted that some scouts still had concerns because of his size, strength and skating. I don't see his skating holding him back but he will have to get stronger to be able to handle the defensive aspects of his position.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Corey Pronman did a story about the prospect tournaments. With regard to the Rangers, he said he had received much criticism from Ranger fans about his rankings of Barron, Lundqvist, Rykov and Reunanen. He reiterated his skating concerns about Barron and Rykov but said he could have ranked Reunanen a half tier higher based on his skill level, hockey sense and his Liiga play. Bumping him a half tier higher would have moved his ranking from 22 to the 10-15 range. That's really more consistent with most of the other rankings. I still think he is too low on Barron and Rykov. The good news is that in five years we will know who is correct.

He also talked about Adam Fox who he said had a great tournament with some scouts he talked to saying he was the best player at the tournament. He also said Fox clearly is a top four defensemen because of his skill and sense although he noted that some scouts still had concerns because of his size, strength and skating. I don't see his skating holding him back but he will have to get stronger to be able to handle the defensive aspects of his position.

I can accept him being lower on Rykov than others if it wasn't for the claim that he can't skate. if anything thats probably the best part of his game

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
My thing with Andersson is that the draft sucked anyway. It's not like it was 2003 where we picked Jessiman and everyone else picked a Hart candidate.
Totally agree...I wanted brannstrom at that spot and woulda been fine with necas but even then I rarely bring it up. I rarely bring up where he was drafted and who was drafted after him. It's also worth noting that none of lias, necas or brannstrom were off the board picks at that spot so it's not a huge deal.
It's not usually my style. I'm strictly talking about him as a prospect and what I'm seeing from him... Nothing more or less.
There's still some time with this kid..but not a ton...I figure he's got 1 year... 2 at most to start showing some improvement in his game... If he doesn't start inproving I'd bet we see a trade.

Reactions: Berserk and jas

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Pronman released his tanking of his top 123 prospects in the league. No real surprise

Kakko#2 in the "Elite/Special Bubble" tier

Kravtsov #21 in the "High End" tier - down from #17 (also not accusing him of anything but there are a lot of 2019 picks ahead of him, this seems like recency bias and I also don't like his writeup of Kravtsov).

Fox #39 in the "High End/Very Good Bubble" tier up from 64

Miller #48 in the "Very Good" tier, up from not being ranked at all.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Pronman released his tanking of his top 123 prospects in the league. No real surprise

Kravtsov #21 in the "High End" tier - down from #17 (also not accusing him of anything but there are a lot of 2019 picks ahead of him, this seems like recency bias and I also don't like his writeup of Kravtsov).

No Lundkvist is a big miss imo

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
No Lundkvist is a big miss imo
The vast majority of his analysis in the final list is basically cut-and-paste from his team rankings; in which he had Nils as a disgraceful #9 (behind Matthew Robertson, Zac Jones, and Joey Keane). He got roasted on this as well as his rankings of Barron and Reunanen.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Come to think of it, Pronman's analysis seems to really hate d-men that are under 6 feet and not offensively gifted.

It explains why he hates Erik Brannstrom and Nils.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

Ranking Podkolzin ahead of Kravtsov (at this point, anyway) is ridiculous.

Reactions: kovazub94

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Come to think of it, Pronman's analysis seems to really hate d-men that are under 6 feet and not offensively gifted.

It explains why he hates Erik Brannstrom and Nils.

To be fair, impact NHL D who are sub 6' and not offensively gifted are kinda rare.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Pronman ranked goalie prospects; Shesterkin is 3rd behind Thatcher Demko and Spencer Knight.

Garbage take, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad