Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just saw this. Nice to see both being considered for a spot. It would be awesome to get a look at them against the top talent of their age group. K'Andre had a nice WJC-18.

Keane is somebody I know nothing about, unfortunately, outside of stats and the very few videos you can find of him. But, he looks good... looks pretty fast with his head up and able to control the puck. Passing looks good and, in the few video looks I saw, decent defensive positioning. Stat wise, his jump from age 17 to 18 is definitely promising. If he's hitt PPG status in his 19 yr season I'm going be excited.

Granted that some kids hadn’t been on the ice since April, too much shouldn’t be read into it, but Joey Keane destroyed prospect camp. He was really good there, possibly the best D and there were many good Ds there.

What is the opposite of a black swan? He could be it! ;) Seriously though, he did look exciting there, will be interesting to follow him there.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Reloaded the defense big time.

LD

Miller
Hajek
Lindgren
Rykov
Gross
Ragnarson

RD

Lundkvist
Pionk
Keane
Day
Bigras

I like. Now we need more offense. 1st line LW should be the target. RW got saturated this draft.

Kaapo Kakko is a left handed RW ... like Kravstov, right?

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Reloaded the defense big time.

LHD

Miller
Hajek
Lindgren
Rykov
Gross
Ragnarson
Bigras

RHD

Lundkvist
Pionk
Keane
Day

I like. Now we need more offense. 1st line LW should be the target. RW got saturated this draft.

Kaapo Kakko is a left handed RW ... like Kravstov, right?

Day is left-handed. Unless you meant right defense and not right-handed defenseman, in which case you should move Bigras over there too.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I did mean right defense, but still thought of right-handed, thanks for setting it straight.

Bummer, so we could use another RHD prospect. LW is now the most wanted position. Offense in general.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I did mean right defense, but still thought of right-handed, thanks for setting it straight.

Bummer, so we could use another RHD prospect. LW is now the most wanted position. Offense in general.

I'm less concerned about the number of players who are righty than players who play the position. Plenty of lefties are good right defensemen when they come up playing that side, but it's a difficult transition to make when someone is already into their career.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Rangers are in full rebuild mode. I don't see Chytil or Andersson spending time in the AHL unless they struggle a lot in the pro's. I also expect at least 1 or 2 defenseman to make the team. They didn't go out and sign a bunch of vets in UFA. There are many spots open.
I dont have the optimism you have that Anderson and Chytil are ready for primetime. Chytil has a ton of Talent but is the Toolbox ready. Anderson needs to develop another gear or he will bust. Gordie really blew it. Should have picked Mittlestadt. I expect Brenden Smith to make the team and be first pair LH defenseman. He will be paired with Shattenkirk. Brady Skeij will be paired with Neil Pionk. I liked the way DeAngelo was starting to come around then sprained the Ankle. He will be paired with Marc Staal to start the season. At some point in the season Libor Hajek will take Staal's job.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
I dont have the optimism you have that Anderson and Chytil are ready for primetime. Chytil has a ton of Talent but is the Toolbox ready. Anderson needs to develop another gear or he will bust. Gordie really blew it. Should have picked Mittlestadt. I expect Brenden Smith to make the team and be first pair LH defenseman. He will be paired with Shattenkirk. Brady Skeij will be paired with Neil Pionk. I liked the way DeAngelo was starting to come around then sprained the Ankle. He will be paired with Marc Staal to start the season. At some point in the season Libor Hajek will take Staal's job.

Would I have also preferred Mittlestadt over Anderson? Yea, but to say he "really blew it" is a little of an over exaggeration. I really don't know where you are getting that opinion that Anderson looks like a possible bust. He's looked like he will definitely have at the least a solid "average" NHL career. Looked solid at the Worlds at such a young age playing against a lot of NHL competition. It's still way too early, but Chytil at 21 is looking like when of the better picks in that 1st round.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Literally nothing Andersson has done since the draft indicates he's at a serious risk of busting.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think he got a hat trick in the end, Yeah?

I honestly think the Rangers got a steal in him. A pleb doesn't get to play 30+ games with men as a 17 year old.
Honestly, in those clips, his ability to protect the puck is way more impressive than his finishing. Had it on a string there sometimes double and triple covered.

Reactions: Ola

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think he got a hat trick in the end, Yeah?

I honestly think the Rangers got a steal in him. A pleb doesn't get to play 30+ games with men as a 17 year old.

He was on the unfortunate end of being 3 days too old and was in last year's draft. He was born 4 days earlier than Brady Tkachuk, and as we know, he was eligible for the first time in this past draft. So he was a D+1 player.

Who knows what happens if he was born a few days earlier and scouts were really focused in on him, playing in a men's league and being eligible for the first time. His numbers do not look much different than those of Chytil's from the Czech league, and we know that Liiga > Czech.

They had to get a good look at him from watching Virta and Reunanen playing there last season. I'm not sure he'll play with him but Kaapo Kakko will be on his team this upcoming season, not to mention, they're is a good chance they are both on Finland for the WJC. Would be nice to see him get a top role on both teams.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
And Mittelstadt hasn’t really done anything to prove he’s a better prospect than Andersson (if anything Andersson’s D+1 was better than Mittelstadt’s) but “GORDIE REALLY BLEW IT GUYS”
Yup, it's a classic case of the guy we didn't pick being better because we didn't pick him. Same thing with Wahlstrom and Kravstov.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The game is available at leijona.fi. I saw a bit of it. Another game will be streamed tomorrow. I really like what I saw from Lauri Pajuniemi. Think we might have gotten a steal in him. He played on the 3rd line 5 on 5 and on the top PP unit. He moves really well, I could be overrating him a bit, short sample size and all, question on how good and prepared the Czech were, but he is one of the better skating NYR prospects I've seen in a while (Mike York?). Like top speed and that is great, but this kid moves perfect which also is a lot easier if you are 6'0 compared to someone like Chytil or even Kravtsov. Always having speed under his skates, moving freely in 4 directions. Skates like a drone moves, that is what you want.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Joey Keane impressed me a ton right of the bat. Lauri Pajuniemi looks really intriguing as well. I was a big fan of Vitaly Kravtsov and K'Andre Miller going into this draft. K'Andre probably needs a lot of time, but he should become a very good player hopefully. I like Nils Lundkvist, had him late 1st were we took him. I don't love him, but time will tell what he will amount to.

Seems like Clarke potentially just might have destroyed the 18' draft.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Joey Keane impressed me a ton right of the bat. Lauri Pajuniemi looks really intriguing as well. I was a big fan of Vitaly Kravtsov and K'Andre Miller going into this draft. K'Andre probably needs a lot of time, but he should become a very good player hopefully. I like Nils Lundkvist, had him late 1st were we took him. I don't love him, but time will tell what he will amount to.

Seems like Clarke potentially just might have destroyed the 18' draft.
Yes, and even some of the other guys have the potential to really open some eyes. Like Nico Gross, for example, who was pretty well-regarded, like an early-second round guy from what I understand, before having a really rough first season in North America. He has tools, if he turns it around he could be a really nice pick. A lot of people have said a lot of nice things about Ragnarsson, especially comparing his age and production against other players. Riley Hughes seems like an interesting pick--unheralded US prep kid with a lot of skill, totally raw, production hasn't matched the tools. Not dissimilar to Morgan Barron who never put up big numbers before being drafted.

Only picks I don't get are Lindbom and Kjellberg. Lindbom is actually probably a good prospect, I just hate where he was picked. Kjellberg I don't get at all--no one really has anything on him, he went from mid-50's on Euro-skaters in CSS mid-term rank to unranked in the final list. The fact that he has nothing written about him, plus the negative review I did read of him, his shitty production, and his dad working here, makes me feel like this is a highly suspect pick.

All in all though the players we got are looking increasingly attractive.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yup, it's a classic case of the guy we didn't pick being better because we didn't pick him. Same thing with Wahlstrom and Kravstov.

That might be true if there weren't plenty of us who had Mittelstadt ranked higher well ahead of the actual draft.

That being said, Mittelstadt being an elite prospect doesn't preclude Andersson from being a very good one in his own right.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That might be true if there weren't plenty of us who had Mittelstadt ranked higher well ahead of the actual draft.

That being said, Mittelstadt being an elite prospect doesn't preclude Andersson from being a very good one in his own right.
You ranking him higher doesn’t mean he’s definitively better and I have no idea why everyone thinks he’s suddenly elite. He did really well in a 7 game sample against other kids, otherwise this year wasn’t elite by him by any standard

Reactions: pblawr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad