Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don’t know if it’s similar, at least so far. SKA would not try to obtain Kravtsov from Traktor as they did with Buchnevich (I think this ship has sailed). If Buchnevich stayed with Several he’d be on a top line or second, at worse. A season before Buchnevich got a little unlucky (read “screwed”) because he attended Russia’s camp for its juniors and lost his spot initially due missing Several camp. I hope it doesn’t happen to Kravtsov

Not what I meant. I meant the year Buch got traded, he played in the WJC because Severstal sucked. All I was saying is that if Kravtsov is not a big producer for Traktor this year and/or Traktor has a bad year in the standings, we will most likely see him in the WJC in December.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Rangers are in full rebuild mode. I don't see Chytil or Andersson spending time in the AHL unless they struggle a lot in the pro's. I also expect at least 1 or 2 defenseman to make the team. They didn't go out and sign a bunch of vets in UFA. There are many spots open.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But does it change that much with just 3 months of hockey played?
I'm not liking their chances.

Players miss out on the SS for varying reasons. It could be personal, medical, contractual obligations or just coaches wanting to try different groups of players. The SS isn't anything special. It's not a prestigious tournament. It's basically a meaningless exhibition but people put more emphasis on it due to it being right after the draft.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Rangers are in full rebuild mode. I don't see Chytil or Andersson spending time in the AHL unless they struggle a lot in the pro's. I also expect at least 1 or 2 defenseman to make the team. They didn't go out and sign a bunch of vets in UFA. There are many spots open.

Assuming Smith does get his game together to some degree this coming season, there won’t be much room for anyone on the left-side, barring injuries. Skjei and Staal are guaranteed roster-spots, and I’d rather see Claesson as the 7th defenseman over someone like Hajek or Lindgren who could get a larger role in Hartford. I’m of the mindset that a defensive-minded d-man should be given time to marinate against top-defensemen at every level along the way, and Hartford is a good league for the development of physicality and space-management. If, say, Hajek blows the doors off and shows that he’s fully capable of a spot on the Rangers, then that’s all well and good, but I wouldn’t rush to say that there are spots on defense open for a prospect when defensive deployment is the single-greatest area of need for the team to improve-upon. Putting a defensive prospect in a system which lacks a steady defensive foundation is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: pblawr

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Only thing to remember with Smith is that he has played on the right before, including for us. So if he makes it back, he's not necessarily blocking anyone on the left.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Only thing to remember with Smith is that he has played on the right before, including for us. So if he makes it back, he's not necessarily blocking anyone on the left.

Thate leaves DeAngelo as the odd-man out on the right, then, and he isn’t waiver-exempt. I’d rather run with the six of Skjei - Shattenkirk, Smith - Pionk, Staal - DeAngelo with Claesson as the 7th man. It won’t be a good defense, but it will probably be the most capable of acclimating to a fresh defensive system compared to one with both rookies and guys playing their off-side.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thate leaves DeAngelo as the odd-man out on the right, then, and he isn’t waiver-exempt. I’d rather run with the six of Skjei - Shattenkirk, Smith - Pionk, Staal - DeAngelo with Claesson as the 7th man. It won’t be a good defense, but it will probably be the most capable of acclimating to a fresh defensive system compared to one with both rookies and guys playing their off-side.

Re. Smith, I generally agree with your 6D but we need to keep in mind that the way last season went for Smith (and with a new HC), he completely lost a benefit of a doubt, if you will, so does not have any advantage against anyone he'll be competing for a roster spot. Just as likely that Smith is out of line up and Claesson or Gilmour or O'Gara or Bigras etc take the spot. Then, there'll be injuries...

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Re. Smith, I generally agree with your 6D but we need to keep in mind that the way last season went for Smith (and with a new HC), he completely lost a benefit of a doubt, if you will, so does not have any advantage against anyone he'll be competing for a roster spot. Just as likely that Smith is out of line up and Claesson or Gilmour or O'Gara or Bigras etc take the spot. Then, there'll be injuries...

I think that Quinn will lean more on veterans while the new defensive system is put in place, since there will be a number of young D-men on the team regardless (Skjei, Pionk, and most likely DeAngelo). I would hope that Smith comes back and is capable of at least third-pairing duties while Skjei acclimates to being on the top-pairing.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Virta to the KHL confirmed. I actually like this move. There aren't a lot of home run forwards on Slovan so he could really get some good minutes.

Reactions: Ola

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
For whoever is interested:

I watched a few of his videos a few weeks ago, they’re pretty decent for additional information on players, but I think he relies too much on stat lines for guys to fill out his sketches on them (which I guess isn’t the worst thing to do if you’re going to talk about every single drafted player this year)

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

Just saw this. Nice to see both being considered for a spot. It would be awesome to get a look at them against the top talent of their age group. K'Andre had a nice WJC-18.

Keane is somebody I know nothing about, unfortunately, outside of stats and the very few videos you can find of him. But, he looks good... looks pretty fast with his head up and able to control the puck. Passing looks good and, in the few video looks I saw, decent defensive positioning. Stat wise, his jump from age 17 to 18 is definitely promising. If he's hitt PPG status in his 19 yr season I'm going be excited.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Do we think that Chytil will get released for the WJC?
If he's playing with the Rangers full-time, I don't think they will.

If he's starting the season with the Wolf Pack...I could see him being in Hartford until WJC, play in WJC, then be with the Rangers.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Just saw this. Nice to see both being considered for a spot. It would be awesome to get a look at them against the top talent of their age group. K'Andre had a nice WJC-18.

Keane is somebody I know nothing about, unfortunately, outside of stats and the very few videos you can find of him. But, he looks good... looks pretty fast with his head up and able to control the puck. Passing looks good and, in the few video looks I saw, decent defensive positioning. Stat wise, his jump from age 17 to 18 is definitely promising. If he's hitt PPG status in his 19 yr season I'm going be excited.

Is there a prejudice or a perception of prejudice against Americans playing in Canadian juniors when making selections for Team USA for WJC?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Is there a prejudice or a perception of prejudice against Americans playing in Canadian juniors when making selections for Team USA for WJC?
I don’t think so, if there is a USA prejudice for international tournaments it’s that they overvalue size and leadership

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
As mentioned earlier, Lundkvist was also named for team Sweden in the WJC. So that makes three NYR prospects in initial WJC camps. Still waiting to hear on Swizterland (Gross) and Russia (Kravtsov).

Lindbom was not selected and is putting more salt in the wound for NYR's 2nd round :shakehead

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As mentioned earlier, Lundkvist was also named for team Sweden in the WJC. So that makes three NYR prospects in initial WJC camps. Still waiting to hear on Swizterland (Gross) and Russia (Kravtsov).

Lindbom was not selected and is putting more salt in the wound for NYR's 2nd round :shakehead
We've been over this before (not sure which thread) but it's not something to get worked up about because the goalies selected are all older and have more clout. The only one you could say Lindbom deserves to be in over is Ersson, but he's almost a full year older.

Not something worth getting mad about.

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Gross will 100% be on the Swiss roster he is like their best dman. Kravtsov i would put as a lock if politics didn't come into play so much, but if Traktor lets him go then I think Kravtsov is a lock for the top-6 role there.

Reactions: haveandare

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
We've been over this before (not sure which thread) but it's not something to get worked up about because the goalies selected are all older and have more clout. The only one you could say Lindbom deserves to be in over is Ersson, but he's almost a full year older.

Not something worth getting mad about.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Irishguy42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad