Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes. And it wasn't as if he was flat out dominating in the AHL either. He was good, but he still has room to grow even in that league.

He did really well in Hartford though. He was almost from the start their most dangerous offensive forward. He also took a few high hits last year--missed a lot of games---some of them from a concussion and sometimes because McCambridge didn't want him playing 3 in 3 nights. I'm very cautiously optimistic that there's a chance he could become a legit 1st line NHL center. IMO he and Kravtsov both have very good shots at that and my bar is a little bit higher than some others around. To me a legit 1st liner really needs to consistently get beyond the 60 point threshold. The closest thing we have to that is Zuccarello.

The other thing is it's not like he was playing with top notch linemates in Hartford either. Considering he started the season as a 17 year old he had a great year. He looks like he's bigger now and he is going to be more comfortable and more acclimated. I still think he'll be between New York and Hartford this year.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
My opinion is that:

- Prospects should be put on a team based on what's best for their development, not based on what the NHL roster looks like.
- The top 6 forwards we've brought up through the AHL like Zuccarello and JT Miller needed to score a point-per-game in the AHL before they were successful in the NHL. Even Jesper Fast scored almost a point-per-game in the AHL before he stuck in the NHL. While the 0.6-0.7 ppg that Chytil and Andersson posted in the AHL last year are great numbers for 18 & 19 year olds, they don't indicate that Chytil or Andersson are ready to transition to the NHL yet.
- It is totally fine if prospects aren't top-6 NHL forwards before they can legally buy a drink. Chytil and Andersson will still be ahead of a lot of guys who turned into very good NHL players if they improve on their production next year in the AHL.

It's also very tough for players to transition from a junior league to the NHL. Dylan Strome scored over 2 points-per-game in the OHL and he couldn't stick in the NHL last year. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect guys like Hajek and Howden to do better than he did.

Personally, I will be happy if Chytil, Andersson, Howden, and Hajek all have good AHL seasons that show continued development.
That is a very poor criteria to go by to indicate whether or not a player is ready for the NHL.

Reactions: haveandare

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
That is a very poor criteria to go by to indicate whether or not a player is ready for the NHL.

Guys who are going to be high-scoring NHL players should be dominant in the AHL and that dominance should manifest itself in point-production

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My opinion is that:

- Prospects should be put on a team based on what's best for their development, not based on what the NHL roster looks like.
- The top 6 forwards we've brought up through the AHL like Zuccarello and JT Miller needed to score a point-per-game in the AHL before they were successful in the NHL. Even Jesper Fast scored almost a point-per-game in the AHL before he stuck in the NHL. While the 0.6-0.7 ppg that Chytil and Andersson posted in the AHL last year are great numbers for 18 & 19 year olds, they don't indicate that Chytil or Andersson are ready to transition to the NHL yet.
- It is totally fine if prospects aren't top-6 NHL forwards before they can legally buy a drink. Chytil and Andersson will still be ahead of a lot of guys who turned into very good NHL players if they improve on their production next year in the AHL.

It's also very tough for players to transition from a junior league to the NHL. Dylan Strome scored over 2 points-per-game in the OHL and he couldn't stick in the NHL last year. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect guys like Hajek and Howden to do better than he did.

Personally, I will be happy if Chytil, Andersson, Howden, and Hajek all have good AHL seasons that show continued development.

A couple things--until recently Ken Gernander was coach in Hartford. He had this bad tendency to turn forwards out to be exactly like he was---a checking grinder. Fast was never going to be a big scorer. Check his yearly shots on goals--AHL/NHL. He was always going to be a role player and Jesper is good at it. I look at Nieves kind of same way--I just don't think he's going to be quite as good--someone you can bump up a line or two like you can with Jesper. People don't give Jesper enough credit. He's a really good player--he's just not a big point producer.

The other thing is the AHL is a hard league to run numbers up in. It's not like 10-15 years ago. Very few point per game players from year to year and a lot of them are more than less career AHL'ers who pretty much have things figured out to that level but have not been able to take it up another level to the NHL. They're good where they are but no further. Basically forwards don't dominate offensively in that league anymore. 50/60 point seasons are big years for just about everybody and anybody. If they can produce well at an early enough age--pretty much every NHL team that has any hole for them at all is going to bring them up and try to put them in a situation they can succeed in. As for the NHL point stats are often inflated for players who are lucky enough to get a gig with an elite player. I expect both Chytil and Andersson to play quite a bit in Hartford this year but they're not long for that league. By 19-20 I suspect it's going to be NHL for both of them the rest of the way.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Guys who are going to be high-scoring NHL players should be dominant in the AHL and that dominance should manifest itself in point-production
And how about all the dominate offensive NHL players who went right to the NHL? They all didn't need to prove that they could score at a PPG ratio in the AHL...

They came to camp and they outperformed players for a roster spot, just like Chytil could do at training camp.

Reactions: Kovalev27

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
And how about all the dominate offensive NHL players who went right to the NHL? They all didn't need to prove that they could score at a PPG ratio in the AHL...

They came to camp and they outperformed players for a roster spot, just like Chytil could do at training camp.

I think we're getting into semantics a little bit here. I don't think there's any question that guys who were dominant offensive NHL players would have scored a lot if they had played in the AHL.

It's possible that Chytil could take a leap in his development over the offseason and show up to training camp ready to produce in the NHL, in which case he obviously wouldn't need to go the AHL. But his production last year didn't indicate he's at that point yet and I think that's the most reasonable starting point for our expectations of him next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It was a pretty dumb question so you got a dumb and obvious answer. Wouldn't expect anything other than that from you.

Always on the defensive. Makes me wonder. Anyway, Chytil definitely has a chance to make the team, but I don't think it's a given. As I stated before, people are expecting too much and setting themselves up for disappointment.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Rangers take a goalie in the Second round and he doesnt even make the camp for Sweden's under 20 roster.
Great pick Gordie

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers take a goalie in the Second round and he doesnt even make the camp for Sweden's under 20 roster.
Great pick Gordie

Which means nothing. They took 3 goalies who are all older than Lindbom. Let's see what the team looks like in January.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

Great pick Gordie

No Ragnarsson or Lindbom. It won't be fun watching just Lundkvist in this WJC like it was last tournament with Lias.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Doesn’t KHL teams release players to the WJC?? I was sure that they did, meaning that Kravtsov should play. NL has a good shot. The Swiss kid. KAndre for the US? He could get consideration. Will he play in Kamloops?

Chytil can play for the Cech too, you never know, the WJC is in NA again right?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Doesn’t KHL teams release players to the WJC?? I was sure that they did, meaning that Kravtsov should play. NL has a good shot. The Swiss kid. KAndre for the US? He could get consideration. Will he play in Kamloops?

Chytil can play for the Cech too, you never know, the WJC is in NA again right?

WJC is in Vancouver this year, Ola.

And yes, the KHL releases players for this tournament.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think it'll depend on Traktor's season, similar to Buchnevich the year Severstal traded him to SKA.

I don’t know if it’s similar, at least so far. SKA would not try to obtain Kravtsov from Traktor as they did with Buchnevich (I think this ship has sailed). If Buchnevich stayed with Several he’d be on a top line or second, at worse. A season before Buchnevich got a little unlucky (read “screwed”) because he attended Russia’s camp for its juniors and lost his spot initially due missing Several camp. I hope it doesn’t happen to Kravtsov

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
But does it change that much with just 3 months of hockey played?
I'm not liking their chances.
It does change, for sure. I'm certain if you put last year's rosters side-by-side there'd be a lot of turnover. Last season we had both Gettinger and Day for Team USA in the SS and neither made the WJC, just as an example.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad