Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
On Bereglazov, HF's criteria on Europeans has always been this: "European players who sign their first NHL contract at or above the age of 22 have three seasons from the time they sign that contract to meet the above criteria." So he would certainly be a prospect according to [the now-defunct] HF main site.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What? Did you even check what his average TOI was? 13 mins and it got closer to 17 mins later in the season. Not sure what ice time you expect a 17 year old to get.
Seems like you just made up your own argument for him coming over, which would be imo be a wrong decision given he should be Zlin's 1C/2C next year.

Did you read the post I was responding to?

The person claimed he didn't score many points. You aren't going to score that many more points in his role than he did if you are playing 13 per game, even if you play a little more later in the season. I was only making the point that we aren't talking about a player who plays a lot, and thus thats why I think his point totals in the Extraliga don't matter that much for the 2016-17 season. If he plays a bigger role next season, it'll matter.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So 7 new guys added to the team today....

1 (7) C/LW: Lias Andersson (SWE) (5'11"/198lbs., Shot: Left, HV71/SHL)
1 (21) C: Filip Chytil (CZR) (6'1"/192lbs., Shot: Left, Zlin/Czech)
4 (123) D: Brandon Crawley (USA) (6'1"/205lbs., Shot: Left, London/OHL) * Overager x2 *
5 (145) D: Calle Sjalin (SWE) (6'1"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Ostersunds/Division 1)
6 (157) C/LW: Dominik Lakatos (CZR) (5'11"/179lbs., Shot: Liberec/Czech) * Overager x2 *
6 (174) F: Morgan Barron (CAN) (6'2"/201lbs., Shot: Left, St. Andrews College/HS-CA) * Cornell commit 17/18 season *
7 (207) C/RW: Patrik Virta (FIN) (5'10"/181lbs., Shot: Right, TPS/SM-Liiga) * Overager x3 *

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=214318
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236806
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=258636
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266116
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195562
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195024
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=98096

Not a bad group!! Euro and overager heavy, but it looks good!!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Props to whoever did all the work. You did a great job. Any chance of getting a list broken down by position instead of by location?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where is everyone going to play this season? I'd think Andersson gets a shot in NHL camp. If he's not ready, back to the SHL. I think Chytil will probably play in the Extraliga. I think Crawley is an interesting case. He clearly seems AHL or ECHL ready. Does he go back for another junior season? Sjallin probably will stay in Sweden, likely with Leksand in the Allsvenskan. I wonder if they bring Lakatos over to the AHL this season or wait another season. Barron is Cornell. Does Virta stay in Finland? I think so.

Also, we drafted probably another two players who will play in the WJC this year, Andersson and Chytil. Sjalin might have a chance, although it probably is more likely that he'll play next season, not the upcoming one. So we really should have at least two in the WJC's this upcoming season, and then probably one more when you consider the chances of Day, Gettinger, Sjalin and Wall. Would not be bad to have 3 in the WJC's this year, I'd take that.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We have more guys skating in the Euro league than we have for quite sometime, even if Andersson and/or Chytil were to play over here.

Virta and Reunanen might play together is Reunanen can actually stick with the big club.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Props to whoever did all the work. You did a great job. Any chance of getting a list broken down by position instead of by location?

On the first page of this thread I added a table that just lists all of the prospects in the system. It's sortable, you just click the column header you want and it will sort. So you can break it down that way.

EDIT: I just changed it so it's broken down into groups for easier viewing.

Last edited:

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
hey nyr2k2, just wanted to pop in and say I really appreciate the work you put into these. It's so useful.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Nice work nyr2k2. Prospect pool is slowly starting to look decent again. RW is certainly an area that we'll need to start developing, but there's at least some depth at every other position now, plus some relatively young guys already in the NHL

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hey my pleasure, guys. Glad someone gets some use of it! Even if no one did, I'd do it for my own use and amusement. :laugh:

Also as far as the C/LW/RW designations go, keep in mind they're fluid. A guy may be on the RW one game then back to center the next night. I try to list them by what they play most frequently, or if I'm not sure, by what the team lists them as.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Chytil will be 2nd line center in Czech Republic and play in World Juniors and other events. Let him go for one more year there. Looks like a pretty shy kid, I don't know if he'll enjoy top minutes with a team called the Swamp Rabbits.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he plays in the top six over there, that to me is preferable to him coming here. Let him spend another year maturing in his home country while simultaneously preparing for a move to the States. He can come for development camp and maybe Traverse and get his feet wet and then go home to work on what the Rangers tell him he needs to.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The more I watch Virta highlights, the more I love the pick!!

Also, if some miraculous reason that Morgan Barron doesn't play for Cornell in the Fall, his CHL rights belong to the Saint John Sea Dogs!!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thoughts on our draft.

Rangers: B. I liked the strategy of taking mostly Europeans. This was a very good European draft, not a good NA draft. Smart strategy, and I like that we took 5 players who will probably play in men's leagues this season. I prefer players who play in men's leagues to players in junior leagues, if talent is equal. They didn't pick the players I wanted, but they are the scouts, I am not. Seems like they picked a number of good players.

Lias Andersson: Okay pick, he'll be a good NHL'er. Upside seems kind of limited, but I'll take a 2C with the 7th pick. Unlikely there will be that many around that pick better than him.

Filip Chytil: Very good pick. Late birthday, big riser at the end of the draft. Like his potential.

Brandon Crawley: I'm unsure what to think. He seems very underrated, but if he's not, its not a big upside pick, considering he's a DFD and he's a double overager.

Calle Sjalin: Really liked this pick. Productive player. Plays a typical Swedish D game. Very young for this draft.

Dominik Lakatos: Good pick. Triple overager, but he's been very productive in Extraliga. Should be NHL ready within two or three seasons.

Morgan Barron: The one pick I didn't really like. Doesn't seem to have much potential, probably hoping for a 4th liner at best. And even then, if he turns into a good player, he could very well sign with anther team by finishing his four years in college.

Patrik Virta: Seemed like an okay pick. Seems to have some talent, although he's not the tallest player. Productive, but he is a triple overager. Not a bad pick with a 7th rounder.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
The more I watch Virta highlights, the more I love the pick!!

Also, if some miraculous reason that Morgan Barron doesn't play for Cornell in the Fall, his CHL rights belong to the Saint John Sea Dogs!!

Hey hey hey. Stop all that talk right now.

It's tough having to root for Anthony Angello knowing he's a Penguins draft pick. Let me just have this one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
ESPN's Corey Pronman grades our draft. Its behind a paywall, so I'll only post what was written about our team.

New York Rangers: B

Organizational assessment: I see the traits the Rangers valued in Lias Andersson as a strong two-way center with skill. He's shown offensive dominance in flashes, but I'm not sold on the upside being at a level worthy of the No. 7 pick. The Filip Chytil pick is more reasonable to me, even if I had him a few slots lower, due to his talent and the way he's trending; I wish I saw more dominant performances from him when I scouted him. However, I thought the Brandon Crawley and Calle Sjalin picks did bring a little value to this class. While I think the Rangers could have done better -- as my overall read on a class with two first-rounders is just fine -- they did bring in talent. For a very light farm system coming into the weekend, things changed for the better.

First-round picks: Andersson was a solid piece for HV 71 and Sweden's World Junior team this season. All he has done is produce wherever he's gone the past few seasons. He won't dazzle with high-end dekes, but there is a lot of skill to Andersson's game. He makes quick decisions, has a quick shot, sees his options well and has good puck skills. He can be a standout offensive player, though that isn't always the case. Andersson might be below average in size, but he's tough and strong for a player his age, and he can kill penalties adequately. I don't love his skating, but he isn't dragging anvils all over the ice, and considering all the other positive attributes in his offensive game, you can live without game-breaking speed.

Chytil was a regular in the top Czech league as a bottom-six forward for his team, despite being one of the youngest players eligible for the 2017 draft. It was hard for me to get a read on Chytil this season. On the one hand, I see a player with a fair amount of talent. On the other, I never saw him take over a game when playing against his age group, and he was often the best player on the second-best line more than being a game-changer. Chytil is an impressive skater who can be tough to check when he's coming through the neutral zone with speed. His stick skills are above average, and I watched him create chances out of nothing. He moves the puck around fine and is creative offensively. Off the puck, I'd like to see more from him in terms of grit and awareness.

Notable Day 2 picks: Crawley is a personal favorite of mine. He's very smart defender, with decent feet and hands, and while he's not a highlight generator, he always seems to make a difference on the ice. Sjalin stood out to me whenever I saw him play for Sweden. He's a smart two-way defenseman without standout speed or skill, but he still jumps into the attack and is useful on the power play.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/sto...ft-grades-analysis-draft-class-every-nhl-team

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It either starts tomorrow or Tuesday.

If it starts tomorrow, then they would release the roster and whatnot today.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
1. Buchnevich- RW
2. DeAngelo- RD
3. Andersson- C/LW
4. Shestyorkhin- G
5. Bereglazov- RD
6. Chytil- C
7. Graves- LD
8. Day- LD
9. Huska- G
10. Zborovskiy- D
11. Wall- G
12. Pionk- D
13. Nieves- C
14. Gettinger- W
15. Kovacs- W

Better or worse top 15 than this time last year?

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
1. Buchnevich
2. DeAngelo
3. Andersson
4. Shestyorkhin
5. Bereglazov
6. Chytil
7. Graves
8. Day
9. Huska
10. Zborovskiy
11. Wall
12. Pionk
13. Nieves
14. Gettinger
15. Kovacs

100% better than last year

They have legit forward prospects now. Nieves is no longer the best forward prospect haha

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
1. Buchnevich- RW
2. DeAngelo- RD
3. Andersson- C/LW
4. Shestyorkhin- G
5. Bereglazov- RD
6. Chytil- C
7. Graves- LD
8. Day- LD
9. Huska- G
10. Zborovskiy- D
11. Wall- G
12. Pionk- D
13. Nieves- C
14. Gettinger- W
15. Kovacs- W

I don't know how this could be worse. I've never been one to agree with the idea our prospect pool is always garbage, but they've done a nice job this year restocking. That's a real solid and well rounded list of prospects.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Chytil will be 2nd line center in Czech Republic and play in World Juniors and other events. Let him go for one more year there. Looks like a pretty shy kid, I don't know if he'll enjoy top minutes with a team called the Swamp Rabbits.

I know it's early but I was just coming to ask about the WJC for this coming January. I agree with you that Chytil will be a given, but does anyone here who is more familiar with the younger guys have a guess whom else might be playing in the WJC this season potentially?

Edit: I guess Andersson too is probably likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->