Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Some of these guys are probably their idea of AHL depth, especially with the possibility that you easily have 6-8 guys who may be splitting some time between there and The Rangers.

Rather than signing free agents for depth, they keep guys they feel are at least AHL leve tested.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They handled that exactly as I'd have guessed with the exception of Fogarty. And I still think he'll be an NHL player to some degree; I just thought we'd let him go and he'd have to make it elsewhere.

I've said since we acquired O'Gara that I thought he could be a very useful depth piece in a better-structured defensive system. They obviously liked O'Gara enough after scouting him to pick him as part of the trade, so it shouldn't be surprising that they'd want to give him at least a full year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm happy they're keeping O'Gara. Thought he looked solid as the games passed after the deadline and got used to the speed of the NHL. Big body who uses his reach well. He'd be my depth d-man for sure, although I'm thinking the Rangers go into the season with a TON of cap space so perhaps they keep both Gilmour and O'Gara on the NHL roster as #7 and #8.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They handled that exactly as I'd have guessed with the exception of Fogarty. And I still think he'll be an NHL player to some degree; I just thought we'd let him go and he'd have to make it elsewhere.

I've said since we acquired O'Gara that I thought he could be a very useful depth piece in a better-structured defensive system. They obviously liked O'Gara enough after scouting him to pick him as part of the trade, so it shouldn't be surprising that they'd want to give him at least a full year.

to me Ryan Graves and McIlrath were far superior players compared to O'Gara and they did not get much of a chance. He played for 4 years for Yale up to 2016, I am guessing either very smart kid or his parents got connections. He is kinda similar to Marc Staal's current version, but somehow worse. Will be 25 in July.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I'm happy they're keeping O'Gara. Thought he looked solid as the games passed after the deadline and got used to the speed of the NHL. Big body who uses his reach well. He'd be my depth d-man for sure, although I'm thinking the Rangers go into the season with a TON of cap space so perhaps they keep both Gilmour and O'Gara on the NHL roster as #7 and #8.

You also forgot Kampfer and Bigras. What is the point of this depth? we are rebuilding, if there is an injury, I want the likes of Hajek, Day, Lindgren to be called up.

By the way what about Sproul we will not be qualifying him?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You also forgot Kampfer and Bigras. What is the point of this depth? we are rebuilding, if there is an injury, I want the likes of Hajek, Day, Lindgren to be called up.

I forget what the average number of defensemen a NHL team uses throughout a season but the number is high.

Hajek, Day and Lindgren will moat likely be getting solid minutes in the AHL next year. No need to rush them.

I also think it's not out of the realm of possibility that should the team be bad again, they could move guys like Shattenkirk, Staal or Smith if they had suitors. In which case, they will need depth

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Not very high on Fogarty, don’t see him developing into something useful outside of intangibles. Would rather keep that contract slot open....

he is a 4th line player/call-up we might need him if we start trading more players. How did he look in his 1 game? I am guessing he is a Blair Betts type with inferior offensive ability?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

None of our young defensive prospects have shown they're ready for NHL duty in any capacity. Part of a good rebuild is not just throwing kids into the NHL before they're ready. If they're ready and push their way up then fine. Guys like O'Gara and Bigras and Kampfer will be gone in a year if they prove they're not NHL players and the kids prove they're ready. It's foolish to go into a season assuming that your young players will be ready to go and not having backups ready in case they're not. There's no problem having a few veteran guys for protection and depth.

Sproul is UFA so we can't qualify him. We'd have to sign him to a new contract.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
There is really nothing wrong with qualifying players, if they run into the 50 contract limit or the 90 reserve list limit there is almost always ways to trade away a couple contracts.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Right, Sproul, also Catenacchi, didn't meet NHL games played threshold, for their age/career, to remain RFA.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was hoping Gilmour would be the 7 th D. Skjei, Shattenkirk, Staal, Pionk, Smith and DeAngelos as the regulars. But who knows?:dunno:

Also, Rykov could easily show that he deserves into that top 6.

By all accounts, his game would suit Quinn's ideology and, in my mind, translate better than Bereglazov's.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also, Rykov could easily show that he deserves into that top 6.

By all accounts, his game would suit Quinn's ideology and, in my mind, translate better than Bereglazov's.
Rykov has another year under contract in the KHL so he can't come until next season.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
He has been released from his contract.

Lol, I'm way out of the loop on those guys.

I get that he isn't under contract, but I thought we had an understanding that we would bring him back for camp this year?

EDIT - we terminated it just a couple months ago!? I must be losing my mind; don't remember that at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->