Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Reactions: Joey Bones

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I clicked on it expecting the worst but I don't see anything wrong there. AV did treat him like shit and is anyone at all surprised that he's enjoying his time in Tampa much moreso than he did here?

I think we're seeing now why the Rangers weren't too upset with letting him go... once the games start mattering more he becomes a liability.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My issue with Miller is where he says "yeah it became a real negative atmosphere when management said no one was safe", but Miller was the only guy who flat out looked like he no longer gave a damn and was going through the motions at best. He threw in the towel and didn't even deserve to be on the ice with how he was playing. Not every player on the team did that.

Miller may have had his ups and downs under AV but he was still treated like an important scoring forward for the majority of his time here

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/the-rangers-other-trade-chip-found-hockey-heaven/

As per Larry Brooks, Hajek was the centerpiece of the McDonagh trade.

Think this was already assumed, but yeah....
When the Lightning joined the McDonagh Derby, the Rangers homed in on Libor Hajek, the 20-year-old defenseman whom Tampa Bay had selected 37th overall in 2016. General manager Steve Yzerman refused to part with him until Miller became part of an expanded conversation in which Vladislav Namestnikov was then added to the mix.
This is why it shouldn't be looked at as a Miller-Namestnikov swap. There were 5 other pieces involved.

My issue with Miller is where he says "yeah it became a real negative atmosphere when management said no one was safe", but Miller was the only guy who flat out looked like he no longer gave a damn and was going through the motions at best. He threw in the towel and didn't even deserve to be on the ice with how he was playing. Not every player on the team did that.

Miller may have had his ups and downs under AV but he was still treated like an important scoring forward for the majority of his time here
I honestly couldn't care less. Easily the least attached I've been to any player during the AV era, and did absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
This is why it shouldn't be looked at as a Miller-Namestnikov swap. There were 5 other pieces involved.

I honestly couldn't care less. Easily the least attached I've been to any player during the AV era, and did absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

His performance in the playoffs with us is the most damning part of his resume. He can play at a very high level but he is a very moody player. Playoff series require consistency.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Heh

Miller can enjoy hockey heaven for a couple more weeks until Yzerman ships him off to Vancouver cause they don’t want to pay him

5m+ is a lot of money for a guy who scored fewer post-season goals in his career than Brady Skjei did in a single game. The only other player I know off the top of my head with 1 post-season goal in 43 games is Darroll Powe hahahahaha

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
People get obsessed with one part of the trade and it's literally all they talk about when it comes to this

I think a big reason for that is that the trade quite possibly could turn out to be a real stinker. Or Hajak turns out to be the best player moved or Howden blows everyone away by being able to take his game completely to the NHL without losing much or we pull a rabbit out of the hat with one of the picks. But it could also turn out to be a real stinker. Time will tell. And its not a good trade to blow...

I made several posts about trading JT Miller before this deal was made. I wrote this in November 17 for examples:
Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines
I’ve watched JT Miller closely the last while. Always been a big fan of him. I am a little concern that he is running into a wall offensively in some offensive situations. And it shows in his POs stats, 1 goal in his last 48 PO games. I think he was a bit hurt last season, but still.

He is 24 y/o. Great pedigree, high pick, great international resume. No flaws. 60 pts potential. In terms of value — he is a gem. And he will be paid like it on a long term deal with deal protection after the first year (or is it he second?). 5.5m per? 6m per?

We discuss dealing Zucc, not resigning Nash and so forth. Just playing with the idea, if we plan to resign Nash and trade Miller — what could we get for him? A top young wing on an ELC would be pretty great to have in the system.

But I have never been a big Namestnikov fan. Is the hockey sense there? To play a fast game all must all of it is about being smart. 3 Hagelins on the ice would not in any way play fast hockey. You need to position your self well, make the best decisions with the puck. Create speed by how you move the puck.

Hajak is a good prospect, but he need to have the same physical development as Skjei have had to become a star in the NHL. He is still young, Skjei needed what 4 years + 1 in the AHL. Can Hajak beef up and get the lateral movement Skjei have? He could become a star if he does, if he doesn't there are no guarantees that he become a good NHLer. LD, there are 2 good LDs out there for every good RD. Or winger/center for that matter too.

Howden is a great attitude guy and great guy to have in the system on a rebuilding team. Solid pickup. But I am not at all sold on his ability to bring offense to the NHL at center ice. Time will tell. If not, I see him more as a potential character PF winger.

The 1st could quite possibly be in the range that was a 2nd round pick just a few years ago. Its a very late 1st. Winning a Cup isn't easy. When we traded for MSL, Yzerman got a conditional 1st if we made the conference finals if I remember correctly. In the same context Gorton got a conditonal first not if Tampa gets to the ECF, not if Tampa gets to the SCFs, but if Tampa -- wins -- the Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
5m+ is a lot of money for a guy who scored fewer post-season goals in his career than Brady Skjei did in a single game. The only other player I know off the top of my head with 1 post-season goal in 43 games is Darroll Powe hahahahaha

Correction, its 1 goal in last 51 PO games. ;)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So Moose Jaw is out. They were #2 in the final CHL rankings. Soo may go out--they're 3-3 and play a home game tonight to decide that series. They were ranked #1 in the final CHL rankings.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think a big reason for that is that the trade quite possibly could turn out to be a real stinker. Or Hajak turns out to be the best player moved or Howden blows everyone away by being able to take his game completely to the NHL without losing much or we pull a rabbit out of the hat with one of the picks. But it could also turn out to be a real stinker. Time will tell. And its not a good trade to blow...

I made several posts about trading JT Miller before this deal was made. I wrote this in November 17 for examples:
Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

But I have never been a big Namestnikov fan. Is the hockey sense there? To play a fast game all must all of it is about being smart. 3 Hagelins on the ice would not in any way play fast hockey. You need to position your self well, make the best decisions with the puck. Create speed by how you move the puck.

Hajak is a good prospect, but he need to have the same physical development as Skjei have had to become a star in the NHL. He is still young, Skjei needed what 4 years + 1 in the AHL. Can Hajak beef up and get the lateral movement Skjei have? He could become a star if he does, if he doesn't there are no guarantees that he become a good NHLer. LD, there are 2 good LDs out there for every good RD. Or winger/center for that matter too.

Howden is a great attitude guy and great guy to have in the system on a rebuilding team. Solid pickup. But I am not at all sold on his ability to bring offense to the NHL at center ice. Time will tell. If not, I see him more as a potential character PF winger.

The 1st could quite possibly be in the range that was a 2nd round pick just a few years ago. Its a very late 1st. Winning a Cup isn't easy. When we traded for MSL, Yzerman got a conditional 1st if we made the conference finals if I remember correctly. In the same context Gorton got a conditonal first not if Tampa gets to the ECF, not if Tampa gets to the SCFs, but if Tampa -- wins -- the Cup.

Just a few things re: the players we got back from the Lightning:

On Namestnikov, he was switched from playing LW on a high-octane line to being shoehorned into C on a bad team with a mish-mash of linemates. IMO, he does read plays well and plays much quicker as a LW, and I think that’s where we’ll see him end up in the future. Similar to Miller, he can play C, but his game is much better when at W. Maybe it’ll be different under a new coach?

Hajek is basically the same size as Brady Skjei (an inch shorter and pound lighter) and already has really good mobility. I started watching WHL when I was in college because of McIlrath (lol), and Hajek is one of the more intriguing dmen I’ve seen in a while. The defense is there, the transition is there, but idk how well that offense will show up. It’s basically what’s gonna separate him from being a Mattias Ekholm or a McDonagh. His dominance at the WJC in all situations gives me hope, but I still want to see more.

Idk why you keep mentioning PF and Howden in the same sentence. It’s really not his game at all, and he’s more of a slippery, rangy type of player that always has his motor going and just knows how to play the puck. It’s similar to Stepan where he just knows what/where his assignments are and he knows how to faciliate play with the puck in the offensive zone. The biggest question is how well his offense translates, but so far, he’s produced at every level he’s played, and I can see him being a 20-20 linchpin type of player that’s a top PKer, top match-up C, etc. Hell, ya may as well start envisioning a Lias-Howden duo out there late in games locking players down.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

That isn't true. Zucc also played like dog shit after Gorton said no one was safe. Miller became a whipping boy around here for being inconsistent with AV f***ing with his development. Buchnevich would be the next one if we didn't fire AV.

Reactions: pld459666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->