Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think you guys are starting to get a feel for what I like about Howden.

As for Woo, he’s a kid I’ve particularly liked for a while now. Before he got hurt, I had him in the top 15. The injury derailed his season and you have to take that into account, but he’s an under the radar talent that could play a solid, if unspectacular game for many years

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

As for Woo, he’s a kid I’ve particularly liked for a while now. Before he got hurt, I had him in the top 15. The injury derailed his season and you have to take that into account, but he’s an under the radar talent that could play a solid, if unspectacular game for many years
Howden isn't flashy but man he's always in the right spot to make a play and scores big time goals or even make big time plays that drive production.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Howden isn't flashy but man he's always in the right spot to make a play and scores big time goals or even make big time plays that drive production.

He’s an incredibly smart player. He has very good, but not necessarily great individual skills. Unfortunately, I think his skills are almost undervalued because his awareness, positioning and drive are so noticeable.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
He’s an incredibly smart player. He has very good, but not necessarily great individual skills. Unfortunately, I think his skills are almost undervalued because his awareness, positioning and drive are so noticeable.
What impresses me the most are just his awareness of the play as it develops. We use "hockey IQ" sometimes too much, but he really is a good demonstration of high hockey IQ.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gropp plus Barzal numbers. ;)

Yeah, but OTOH Howden was only 3rd on his team in PPG and the leaders had 130 pts in 70 games and 113 in 60 (Halbegachs and Burke) compared to Howdens 75 in 50. Burke has 21 pts in 13 games in the POs compared to Howdens 15.

So it’s not like Howden is leading his team alone.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, but OTOH Howden was only 3rd on his team in PPG and the leaders had 130 pts in 70 games and 113 in 60 (Halbegachs and Burke) compared to Howdens 75 in 50. Burke has 21 pts in 13 games in the POs compared to Howdens 15.

So it’s not like Howden is leading his team alone.

Burke is also a kid who tends to add to his numbers after the critical moments have passed. He’s skilled player, but he’s the type who adds a couple of points late in a 6-1 game.

On many nights, Howden is very much the critical player on that team - faceoffs, harder assignments, shifts with little margin for error. What makes him an interesting prospect is that he prpduces points, but it’s not the only thing that makes him impactful.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Burke is also a kid who tends to add to his numbers after the critical moments have passed. He’s skilled player, but he’s the type who adds a couple of points late in a 6-1 game.

On many nights, Howden is very much the critical player on that team - faceoffs, harder assignments, shifts with little margin for error. What makes him an interesting prospect is that he prpduces points, but it’s not the only thing that makes him impactful.
Are you growing past your original ceiling on him?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Are you growing past your original ceiling on him?

My original ceiling for Howden in his draft year was a third line center.

Last season (D-1) and this season (D-2), he showed me he has a shot at being a second line guy. That was my belief at the time of his acquisition. I am still comfortable with that.

I would also add that I think his potential value goes beyond his offensive production. So even if his self-generated production falls on the lower end of a top six player, he brings enough elements that he could easily make up for it in other ways and not be miscast next to a more offensive minded linemate.

So in that regard, while I think his ceiling is more in the second line range, it’s not really what I focus on. I’m more focused on whether his game can translate successfully to the NHL, and in that regard I like his chances.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Seems every tweet about Howden is where he ties or gives his team a go ahead. Can not notice it.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I’ve seen a lot of Woo and this kid will not be more than a bottom pairing dman, sure, you’re entitled to your own opinions and prospects are a crapshoot/I’m not credible enough to have a say in this but, Woo is overrated defensively and isn’t creative offensively. He can throw some nice hits and play physical but his defense doesn’t impress me and I’m glad other people have caught on. I have him ranked closer to the 3rd round than the 1st

Reactions: Joey Bones and Ola

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’ve seen a lot of Woo and this kid will not be more than a bottom pairing dman, sure, you’re entitled to your own opinions and prospects are a crapshoot/I’m not credible enough to have a say in this but, Woo is overrated defensively and isn’t creative offensively. He can throw some nice hits and play physical but his defense doesn’t impress me and I’m glad other people have caught on. I have him ranked closer to the 3rd round than the 1st

That’s fair.

Personally, I like his upside, and think his offensive game is worth keeping an eye on.

Reactions: Ola

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That’s fair.

Personally, I like his upside, and think his offensive game is worth keeping an eye on.
I think if you were to like Woo, you’d want a safe player. Woo is a defense first guy and I don’t see creativity there. His skating is meh, his shot is ok, doesn’t skate the puck up the ice etc. when all of those are missing I don’t think you can expect offensive upside from him. You just hope for his decent defensive game to progress and translate to the NHL. I’d be fine if we picked him late, late 2nd, not 1st round though. For defense we should be aiming for high potential guys, have enough potential middle pairing-bottom pairing guys. To each his own though

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005

Well, that's pretty hard to ignore.

One thing I've always wanted more of and thought we lacked a bit of are guys that score when we REALLY need the goals.

Great to see our guys doing their homework on some legit looking talent.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think if you were to like Woo, you’d want a safe player. Woo is a defense first guy and I don’t see creativity there. His skating is meh, his shot is ok, doesn’t skate the puck up the ice etc. when all of those are missing I don’t think you can expect offensive upside from him. You just hope for his decent defensive game to progress and translate to the NHL. I’d be fine if we picked him late, late 2nd, not 1st round though. For defense we should be aiming for high potential guys, have enough potential middle pairing-bottom pairing guys. To each his own though

Not sure I would classify him as safe, so much as developing. There are lot of elements there that are works in progress.

For the first third of the season he was scoring at nearly a ppg pace and taking command of offensive flow.

For me, he’s the type of defenseman you draft with the hope that the pieces keep developing. He’s not the finished product like the top guys, but his current level is right in the mix of other players who went on to have very good post-draft development.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Not sure I would classify him as safe, so much as developing. There are lot of elements there that are works in progress.

For the first third of the season he was scoring at nearly a ppg pace and taking command of offensive flow.

For me, he’s the type of defenseman you draft with the hope that the pieces keep developing. He’s not the finished product like the top guys, but his current level is right in the mix of other players who went on to have very good post-draft development.

Didn't he also miss a ton of time with a concussion though? You could view that either way, either as a further risk, or as the reason for the lower stats and less complete game (think McIlrath with the knee injury losing a year of development)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Woo slips to the second round, I'd be fine using one of the picks on him pending the Rangers have both those picks.

If a Names/Spooner/Zuc is traded, he'd also be a guy I'd use on one of those acquired picks. I've seen a little of Woo and I see a very pissed off Brady Skjei. Would be nice if he can be one of the Rangers rats that they haven't developed in years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Didn't he also miss a ton of time with a concussion though? You could view that either way, either as a further risk, or as the reason for the lower stats and less complete game (think McIlrath with the knee injury losing a year of development)

It definitely had an impact on his season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad