Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just realized that Chytil, Andersson, Hajek, Howden, Day and Gettinger all are on sliding contracts this season. This could benefit NYR in the potential Seattle expansion draft (barring any rule changes).

Also weird to think that they could all be in Hartford next season, along with Ronning and possibly a kid from this draft.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Kids from the NCAA are little more of the exception. We have 3 on our roster (Hayes, Vesey, Gilmour).

Junior kids are more worrisome IMO. There I would prefer an UDFA over one that was drafted and left unsigned.
The rangers have had much more success with NCAA free agents than major junior free agents.

You forgot Neal Pionk so the Rangers have four.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'll take the Rangers chances with NCAA free agents and euro kids than CHL free agents

Gorton makes his money in this first two markets. They have some of the best scouts there

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
There's an important distinction to make between guys like Hayes and Vesey and a guy like Gilmour. Hayes and Vesey were guys whose teams WANTED to sign them, but the players themselves chose not to sign and instead went the free agency route. The guys that refuse to sign are usually pretty highly-regarded players, who choose not to sign because they know they'll get a lot of interest. Butcher and Kerfoot this summer for instance. Gilmour was a guy that probably would have taken a contract from Calgary, but the Flames just chose not to sign him.

And there is another category of guys never drafted like Neal Pionk.

I did a post in the last month of drafted senior NCAA players who had not yet signed and could go the free agency route. I agree with you that some of these guys are highly regarded and are worth seeing if they sign with the team that drafted them.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hartford would be pretty stacked with Chytil, Andersson, and Howden down the middle.
And if Nieves isn't on the NHL roster, he'd be down there, too. I know he doesn't excite anyone, but he's certainly a good AHL player. You also have Fogarty, if he's qualified, who is a good 3/4C.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
We could leave them all in Hartford and let them tear up the AHL it’d be better for their confidence to go on a long AHL playoff run rather than a long horrible nhl season

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We could leave them all in Hartford and let them tear up the AHL it’d be better for their confidence to go on a long AHL playoff run rather than a long horrible nhl season

I know there's this burning desire to get this kids up and in the NHL, and obviously that is the goal. But I look at a guy like Nylander, who went back down for an additional 30 some odd AHL games in his D-2 season, before moving up to the NHL permanently. There's nothing wrong with that.

I could see a situation where the kids come up in a steady procession, when they're ready.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My bet would be Chytil. Lessen his responsibilities on the ice. Let him focus more on his offensive skillset.

I think Chytil on the wing makes the most sense in an Alain Vignealt system, where the emphasis on skating is primarily at the wing position.

Whether that's the case with our new coach is unclear. The new guy may want a good skating guy like Chytil to play more north-south and carry the puck more than our current centers are asked to (Think Matt Duchene, Matt Cullen style center iceman)

Reactions: RGY

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Chytil on the wing makes the most sense in an Alain Vignealt system, where the emphasis on skating is primarily at the wing position.

Whether that's the case with our new coach is unclear. The new guy may want a good skating guy like Chytil to play more north-south and carry the puck more than our current centers are asked to (Think Matt Duchene, Matt Cullen style center iceman)

Hopefully AV is gone end of this season.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I know there's this burning desire to get this kids up and in the NHL, and obviously that is the goal. But I look at a guy like Nylander, who went back down for an additional 30 some odd AHL games in his D-2 season, before moving up to the NHL permanently. There's nothing wrong with that.

I could see a situation where the kids come up in a steady procession, when they're ready.
Yeah, like you’ve said, these things are a process and there will be bumps along the way. That’s what 19 and 20 year olds do; they make mistakes and then grow from them. As much as I want our kids to rip the league a new one next year, I still view the next true window as the 20-21 season when Shesty gets a year under his belt. Each kid should he hitting their stride around that time.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Lukko opened their playoff campaign against Assat and lost 2-1. Reunanen--shockingly!--did not play in the game.

I know we have his rights for another two years, but we have to think about bringing him over at this point.

He doesn't get ice-time where he is, unless he's just not playing well enough to earn it. You have to wonder if the organization might step in this summer and help him go somewhere where he will play. Dressing an getting no ice-time or being scratched isn't going to help him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK about Tarmo. I'm always the "patience" preacher who never writes off anyone. Tarmo is young, and he has been jerked around. He's been jerked around because he's playing in competitive leagues where teams need to win. And he just hasn't produced, even in Mestis. He doesn't produce points and apparently his various teams haven't seen enough defensively to keep him out there. What is he at this point?

He signed for three years with his new club, IIRC. My gut tells me he never signs a deal with us and eventually settles in the NLA or something. Though, we did bring over Calle Andersson for a bit. Who knows.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Something in my gut tells me that at least one is going to find their home on the wings.
I would keep Chytil at center unless he fails miserably there, and Andersson/Howden are just wired to be centers.

I'd quicker move Zibanejad or Hayes to wing; but we'll get to that when we do.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I would keep Chytil at center unless he fails miserably there, and Andersson/Howden are just wired to be centers.

I agree. Certainly if all are in the AHL next season, would like them all at C to develop. But I doubt that they all will be anyway.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Hayes at wing is terrible. Maybe something will change but I doubt it. If all Chytil/LA/Howden prove themselves at C’s we have to trade Hayes which I wouldn’t want but we’d have to. LA and Howden are natural C’s. Chytil is our only shot at an elite 1C although he’d be the best at wing

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

This all becomes moot when the Rangers get Alex Turcotte next year.

:naughty:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Moose Jaw won 2-1 in a SO last night. Howden was scoreless. He did go first in the shootout and scored, which technically goes down as the winner. With the victory, Moose Jaw wins the WHL regular season title.

Gettinger and Soo won the regular season title in the OHL. They have won 53 of their 65 games and are 21 points ahead of the next best team. Playoffs start soon.

Reactions: Joey Bones

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Hayes at wing is terrible. Maybe something will change but I doubt it. If all Chytil/LA/Howden prove themselves at C’s we have to trade Hayes which I wouldn’t want but we’d have to. LA and Howden are natural C’s. Chytil is our only shot at an elite 1C although he’d be the best at wing

I would trade anyone for the right return, but Hayes might be the last Ranger I would look to deal.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Moose Jaw won 2-1 in a SO last night. Howden was scoreless. He did go first in the shootout and scored, which technically goes down as the winner. With the victory, Moose Jaw wins the WHL regular season title.

Gettinger and Soo won the regular season title in the OHL. They have won 53 of their 65 games and are 21 points ahead of the next best team. Playoffs start soon.

He won 19 of 25 faceoffs. Around 56% for the season which is damn solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad