Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hughes is a long shot. If he makes it he makes it and if he doesn't he doesn't. I would think at the very least he's going to need 2 years at Northeastern U. after this year and the probability is more than that--and maybe a year or two in the minors. So his landing in the NHL time if it happens will probably be around 24 or 25. At least he should be physically mature by then. If I were giving him advice I'd tell him to take the Carl Hagelin route---work on his skating, endurance and two way game. Guys entering the NHL at that age usually aren't going to be top 6 forwards.

Every org needs guys to stack in the NCAA and come up as sprinkles later on. A lot of the Rangers success in the late 80s/early 90s is because they had an influx of NCAA guys come in and either contribute or were assets.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Every org needs guys to stack in the NCAA and come up as sprinkles later on. A lot of the Rangers success in the late 80s/early 90s is because they had an influx of NCAA guys come in and either contribute or were assets.

When a team picks a player late--they usually know the guy is kind of a long shot. I don't have issues over 6th and 7th rounders. They're almost always players that need to take another step in development.....and sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. It's too early to get a good read on Hughes. To me we should have a pretty good read on him somewhere around the mid to tail end of his sophomore year at Northeastern U. But for now he's playing with a very good linemate in Newhook. I don't think Hughes' numbers are spectacular. Steven Fogarty's BCHL numbers were somewhat better--he was always over a point a game (if I remember correctly)-----but league's also change--coaching methods change and I really don't want to read into them that much. Hughes' numbers so far are pretty good.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I looked into this over the last few years: find guys that are ~ppg USHL players in their draft year and have them go play college hockey. It’s how Pitt, Chicago, and Boston have had a constant influx of solid depth players that can play aggressive north-south games

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I looked into this over the last few years: find guys that are ~ppg USHL players in their draft year and have them go play college hockey. It’s how Pitt, Chicago, and Boston have had a constant influx of solid depth players that can play aggressive north-south games

This reminds me that we should have drafted Alex Steeves.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't post much

I hope Miller is playing this weekend. Him and Keane are very exciting defensive prospects. (Rykov too but he clearly has no future with the team)

Ok. Back to lurking.
Miller played last night and is playing again at 8pm EST tonight:thumbu:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
What does the future of this defense look like to you?

Not sure, but Rykov I don't see part of it, it just reminds me of Valentenko, Kondratiev, Zborovskiy, Bereglazov, etc. They just don't really work out for us. Also Pashnin.

and with Staal here, Skjei, Smith, Hajek, Lindgren, Crowley, Day, Ragnarsson, Miller, Gross, etc. I just don't see it.

By the time he adjusts to NHL size rinks in AHL, Hajek, Lindgen and Crowley will fill out all the openings.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Not sure, but Rykov I don't see part of it, it just reminds me of Valentenko, Kondratiev, Zborovskiy, Bereglazov, etc. They just don't really work out for us.

and with Staal here, Skjei, Smith, Hajek, Lindgren, Crowley, Day, Ragnarsson, Miller, Gross, etc. I just don't see it.

By the time he adjusts to NHL size rinks in AHL, Hajek, Lindgen and Crowley will fill out all the openings.
I’ll say this: his game is nothing like those other Russian defensemen you’ve listed. I don’t really want to get into where he fits in on the heirarchy of LD’s but I’m pretty sure Rykov has spent a decent amount of time on the right side. And he’s got as good of a chance as Hajek to make it, I don’t know why people think Lindgren is a great prospect and I’d put money on being able to totally write off Crawley soon

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I’ll say this: his game is nothing like those other Russian defensemen you’ve listed. I don’t really want to get into where he fits in on the heirarchy of LD’s but I’m pretty sure Rykov has spent a decent amount of time on the right side. And he’s got as good of a chance as Hajek to make it, I don’t know why people think Lindgren is a great prospect and I’d put money on being able to totally write off Crawley soon

Nobody can even agree what his game is, to me he is a defensive Dman, somebody claimed he is offensive Dman.

I like Crawley's and Lindgren's hard nose physical brand of hockey with good skating ability. I feel comfortable with them, they know how to play on smaller ice surfaces already. Rykov looked like somebody that they used to stay way back and then this season they decided they don't need him and sent him down and then traded him, so it doesn't look too good for him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Just curious, can you describe what it is about Rykov that reminds you of those players in particular?

Similar situation we get excited about these Russian Dmen and then they fizzle out before we even get a chance to trade them for anything. So this time I rather trade him now let him play or fizzle out elsewhere cause we don't even have a spot for him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Nobody can even agree what his game is, to me he is a defensive Dman, somebody claimed he is offensive Dman.

I like Crawley's and Lindgren's hard nose physical brand of hockey with good skating ability. I feel comfortable with them, they know how to play on smaller ice surfaces already. Rykov looked like somebody that they used to stay way back and then this season they decided they don't need him and sent him down and then traded him, so it doesn't look too good for him.
He’s a two way guy, he’s good in his own end and a very good passer.

You may like their style and feel comfortable with that kind of player, but these two specific players just aren’t that good. Rykov’s team wouldn’t play him because they have more defensemen than they Rangers and knew that Rykov isn’t a long term piece for them, he got traded and now he’s a top pairing guy getting 20+ minutes a night and playing well

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He’s a two way guy, he’s good in his own end and a very good passer.

You may like their style and feel comfortable with that kind of player, but these two specific players just aren’t that good. Rykov’s team wouldn’t play him because they have more defensemen than they Rangers and knew that Rykov isn’t a long term piece for them, he got traded and now he’s a top pairing guy getting 20+ minutes a night and playing well

I am sure Bereglazov was also playing over 20 minutes a game in KHL that doesn't really mean that much see Malik, Staal and Girardi. I am sure if Rykov is a really special player the SKA would have not only played him but tried hard to re-sign him, and Sochi should try to re-sign him if they think he is that great.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I am sure Bereglazov was also playing over 20 minutes a game in KHL that doesn't really mean that much see Malik, Staal and Girardi. I am sure if Rykov is a really special player the SKA would have not only played him but tried hard to re-sign him, and Sochi should try to re-sign him if they think he is that great.
How do you know they haven’t?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Based on what?

(I know it's based on pure xenophobia but i'm asking anyway)

Based on other LD prospects and players ahead of him on the depth chart.

(you know it is based on xenophobia? you should get checked for schizophrenia.)

Not sure, but Rykov I don't see part of it, it just reminds me of Valentenko, Kondratiev, Zborovskiy, Bereglazov, etc. They just don't really work out for us. Also Pashnin.

Guy gets accused of xenophobia, says it's not xenophobia, then goes on to list a bunch of players Rykov reminds him of, who didn't work out and just happen to be the same nationality as Rykov. Then proceeds to list nearly every other defenseman in the organization who he thinks is ahead of Rykov, all of whom, surprise surprise, are not of that same nationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad