Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is it reasonable to think that he has the potential to be a top 4 guy?

I think so, based on how he’s grown over the last 12 months and what he’s shown.

He’s a smart player, if not necessarily one whose skills jump off the page. Not as toolsy as Miller or Hajek, but probably on the higher end of the hockey sense spectrum in the system.

Reactions: Fvital92

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I would honestly rather a guy like Huska who is/was a project go to a program like UConn, which has improved every year by the way, where he get's to be the man, work through his struggles without worry for his job, and face a lot of rubber. So far he's done all 3. The guy who played is a frehsman and played probably the worst team in the ECAC (sorry @Irishguy42). It's not surprising he won. Huska will be fine. Providence is a much much better team than UConn. No need to panic.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
UConn doesn’t have the coaching the winning program or the team around him to make him a better player. This concept that it’s good for a goalie to play for a horrible team and face a ton of rubber is not accurate. Winning and being in winning situations playing in games that matter. Playing in front of defenses that you can trust so you can play your game and trust your technique is way more important for developing a goaltender than this old school mentality of just facing a lot of rubber.

Reactions: Ola

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
UConn doesn’t have the coaching the winning program or the team around him to make him a better player. This concept that it’s good for a goalie to play for a horrible team and face a ton of rubber is not accurate. Winning and being in winning situations playing in games that matter. Playing in front of defenses that you can trust so you can play your game and trust your technique is way more important for developing a goaltender than this old school mentality of just facing a lot of rubber.

I don't know--I think it depends on the player. Matt O'Connor was a big deal coming out of Boston U. and completely flopped. OTOH Cam Talbot played for U. of Alabama-Huntsville. I don't know if playing for a weak UConn hurts Huska and I'm not sure that seeing all the extra rubber helps him. I think the assessment of whether or not to give him a contract is going to end up with what Benoit Allaire and the Rangers scouts think about how he's played and whatever progress they can project him making if and when he turns pro. There are things to look at with goalies--how they move around in the crease--their ability to dampen shots and not give up rebounds. Their reflexes--their technical skills--their overall ability to focus for 60 minutes and not let goals (particularly bad ones) get to them. There is a lot of mental and psychological shit right there. The Rangers have done a good job of keeping quality goaltending in the backup position and in the pipeline but they've also had a bunch of misses. I like Huska and I like that Wall so far has looked really good this year but they're still very much wait and see. I think Georgiev could be a very good goalie and Shesterkin has just been lights out in the KHL this year (last I looked 8 straight wins and a .963 save %).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
We keep hearing questions about the numbers Shesterkin puts up on a loaded SKA team. The bigger question to me is whether the limited number and quality of shots he faces (more so in prior seasons like 2017-2018) would hurt his development. I’d rather Shesterkin played for a less prominent KHL team.

The point is I don’t think playing for U Conn hurts Huska in terms of his development as long as gets instructions and practice he needed, including based on advice from the Rangers.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
We keep hearing questions about the numbers Shesterkin puts up on a loaded SKA team. The bigger question to me is whether the limited number and quality of shots he faces (more so in prior seasons like 2017-2018) would hurt his development. I’d rather Shesterkin played for a less prominent KHL team.

The point is I don’t think playing for U Conn hurts Huska in terms of his development as long as gets instructions and practice he needed, including based on advice from the Rangers.

Would two or three times a year be a reasonable estimate for the number of sessions Huska gets with Allaire?

And I assume Shesty may of only had one or two ever?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Pronman posted his top 100 players under 25 on the Athletic. Buch came in at #75, Skjei at #82.

ADA and Pionk were honorable mentions.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

this isn't a great example because SKA is SO much better than the competition. if huska were playing for a solid program like BC or whoever against other solid programs that would make a lot more sense. he'd get what he needed. going to UConn in its infancy to get destroyed every game and face 40 shots with guys running around isn't productive.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don't think huska can get any time with allaire against NCAA rules I believe.

he should have left UConn a while ago.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Why? For most college hockey players, getting a college degree is more important than risking everything in the hope they might be a pro athlete earning enough to last a lifetime.

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yeah that's my thinking as well, but then NCAA guys can pay their own way to prospect camp, so he could in theory get some time there, right? Otherwise, yeah, there couldn't be any contact really.

He's fine at UConn.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Are you speculating or you know? There are rules in place to make sure there are no financial involvement or participation in pro events but I doubt he's precluded from talking to the team that drafted him. How's this different from being allowed to participate in rookie camps if a prospect can play for his own expenses?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Are you speculating or you know? There are rules in place to make sure there are no financial involvement or participation in pro events but I doubt he's precluded from talking to the team that drafted him. How's this different from being allowed to participate in rookie camps if a prospect can play for his own expenses?
I don't know the specific rules. Like, I know that we couldn't fly Allaire up to UConn for a 1-on-1 coaching session. But why can Allaire coach him at prospect camp? Maybe because he was drafted? I honestly don't know. The NCAA is incredibly inconsistent on these things.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
That's unfortunate. I understand wanting to keep "professionals" from playing in the NCAA, but it seems like some of the limits placed on the guys that can play are much too strict.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I said I don't think

but I don't suspect he is paying allaire to coach him on the side. that's the only way It would be ok. he hasn't paid his way to any development camps.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Did anyone post anything about Ryan Mantha, formerly our prospect, moved onto Edmonton? Apparently he had a blood clot in his eye, which made him blind in one eye during the middle of a shift. He had to have heart surgery and while he can see peripherally he can't see straight ahead. How f***ing scary is that? It could be career-ending.

EDIT: This happened at the end of last season, to be clear. I just read about it today.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did anyone post anything about Ryan Mantha, formerly our prospect, moved onto Edmonton? Apparently he had a blood clot in his eye, which made him blind in one eye during the middle of a shift. He had to have heart surgery and while he can see peripherally he can't see straight ahead. How ****ing scary is that? It could be career-ending.

Career-ending isn't even the worst that comes to mind. Partial blindness will affect him for the rest of his life if it isn't fixed in surgery

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Career-ending isn't even the worst that comes to mind. Partial blindness will affect him for the rest of his life if it isn't fixed in surgery
Yeah they said the blood clot was in the retinal artery and the blockage could choke cells and kill them, which would result in permanent blindness. That's I guess the issue, whether or not he can get any of that straight-ahead vision back naturally, because there's not a whole lot that can be done medically. He had been really good as a rookie apparently, which really sucks for a guy whose dream was to make it. Sounds like he would have. Hopefully he still can.

Also Daniel Walcott who was once our guy before we traded him to Tampa for the pick the eventually became Tyler Nanne, injured his shoulder and is out six months. He was apparently going to wear the C for the AHL affiliate and was their leader and had an outside chance at getting some games with TBL. Sucks for him as well.

Ryan Graves is being Ryan Graves out in Colorado. Zborovskiy is stuck playing in the VHL after starting in the KHL. Brad Morisson is 2-1-3 in his first 6 AHL games. Keegan Iverson went to play Canadian College. Nezejchleb is being mediocre in the Slovak league. Calle Andersson plays in NLA and Thomas Spelling is in Denmark where he has become a star. Ceresnak and his weird hairline play in the Czech league. Christian Thomas left to play in the SHL. Ethan Werek finally went overseas to the Czech league after never making the NHL. Daniel Maggio is now an AHL goon. Tomas Kundratek has been in the KHL for the past 3 years and now plays for Kunlun. And this concludes your roundup of guys you haven't thought about for a while.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah they said the blood clot was in the retinal artery and the blockage could choke cells and kill them, which would result in permanent blindness. That's I guess the issue, whether or not he can get any of that straight-ahead vision back naturally, because there's not a whole lot that can be done medically. He had been really good as a rookie apparently, which really sucks for a guy whose dream was to make it. Sounds like he would have. Hopefully he still can.

Also Daniel Walcott who was once our guy before we traded him to Tampa for the pick the eventually became Tyler Nanne, injured his shoulder and is out six months. He was apparently going to wear the C for the AHL affiliate and was their leader and had an outside chance at getting some games with TBL. Sucks for him as well.

Ryan Graves is being Ryan Graves out in Colorado. Zborovskiy is stuck playing in the VHL after starting in the KHL. Brad Morisson is 2-1-3 in his first 6 AHL games. Keegan Iverson went to play Canadian College. Nezejchleb is being mediocre in the Slovak league. Calle Andersson plays in NLA and Thomas Spelling is in Denmark where he has become a star. Ceresnak and his weird hairline play in the Czech league. Christian Thomas left to play in the SHL. Ethan Werek finally went overseas to the Czech league after never making the NHL. Daniel Maggio is now an AHL goon. Tomas Kundratek has been in the KHL for the past 3 years and now plays for Kunlun. And this concludes your roundup of guys you haven't thought about for a while.

Speaking of former Ranger prospects: I saw Andrew Yogan a few months ago here in Vienna. He now plays in the Erste Bank Liga here and scored in the game I attended.

Reactions: nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad