Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why wouldn't he be? He's still under contract with the Rangers and playing in Hartford, where he is doing well. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets called up at some point.
Eh, he's getting up there in age...will be 26 by the end of the season.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I agree with nyr2k2. I have seen Hartford play in person each of the last five years. In those years the three players that stood out were J. T. Miller, Skjei and Pionk. I was confident that all were going to be NHL players and I am not surprised by their NHL performance. Hartford has not been very good over the last couple of years so you can't judge the players just by their output.

Huh? Pionk was great last year with the Wolf Pack. His production wasn't where it is right now, but that's due to usage, the fact that Hartford was ****, and probably a lot of luck. But if you watched a decent bit of the Pack last year, you knew he was their best all-around defenseman last year. And honestly, it's really just the points that picked up in the NHL--he's definitely a worse defender, and depending on who you believe he's a train wreck.

Skjei's rookie season in the AHL was pretty damn good. IMO he was as good in the NHL his rookie year as he was in the AHL his rookie year there (talking relative to the league). It seemed like a natural progression to me. He had a lot of points his rookie year in the NHL, but as many people pointed out to me the offense was inflated unsustainably by secondary assists, which proved to be the case. He seems to have settled in as a 25-30 point guy, which again is what he was in the A.

I don't know. I've watched a lot of AHL games over the years and I just don't see it.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Nils Lundkvist played 15.09 in a 2-1 loss for Luleå, his play was a bit up and down but overall i think he played fairly well, Luleå were dominated for the first two periods. He was on the ice for both goals against, for the first goal he was overaggressive and got spun around at the boards which gave his guy the space to setup a goal with a great pass. For the second goal he was abandoned in front of goal 1 on 3 and they passed it around him and scored. He's much more aggressive on D this season which has it's ups and down but i quite like it, he just needs to get better at winning the battles. Offensively he was quiet for the first two periods like all of Luleå, in the 3rd he had one great zone exit + rush which ended with him shooting the puck, was deflected over though, he had another shot blocked late with the goalie pulled.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gross had an assist and was +3 last night. Keane also had an assist.

Statistically Gross is having a much better year. I tried watching an Oshawa game a few weeks back, but I only saw one shift in like 5 minutes and there were better things to watch. :laugh:

Reactions: Joey Bones

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I thought that was a good pick. I liked him in the u18 and u20 wjcs. Thought it was a good value pick at that spot.

The draft is looking much better than it did the weekend of. Keane looks like a steal. Miller and Kravstov obviously look great.

Lundkvist is a weird one he’s been up and down doesn’t seem to be getting the ice and of course the lindbom puck was horrendous. Those two picks bother me with how much talent was available in those spots.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I thought that was a good pick. I liked him in the u18 and u20 wjcs. Thought it was a good value pick at that spot.

The draft is looking much better than it did the weekend of. Keane looks like a steal. Miller and Kravstov obviously look great.

Lundkvist is a weird one he’s been up and down doesn’t seem to be getting the ice and of course the lindbom puck was horrendous. Those two picks bother me with how much talent was available in those spots.
Wait, why don’t you like the Lundkvist pick?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Gross had an assist and was +3 last night. Keane also had an assist.

Statistically Gross is having a much better year. I tried watching an Oshawa game a few weeks back, but I only saw one shift in like 5 minutes and there were better things to watch. :laugh:
I wish I could remember where I heard or even read it, but it was a whole big thing about Gross and how (sort of like Keane) was having a lot of trouble transitioning to the CHL last season

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Lundkvist has played every SHL game possible. The few games he played in SuperElit were on days the SHL team didn't play. He's been a consistent SHL player at the age of 18. That's huge. He's producing as well. Only 2 defensemen have had more points at this age as Lundkvist since 1995: Victor Hedman and Rasmus Dahlin

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I hated the Lindbom pick, too, but only because of where he was taken. He could still end up being a good player. Unfortunately he has been injured all year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I hated the Lindbom pick, too, but only because of where he was taken. He could still end up being a good player. Unfortunately he has been injured all year.

It’s not that I don’t like him. I feel it’s been a weird start to the season for him. And I didn’t love the pick at the time.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
What’s his average toi with the big club?

First round pick in his d+1 year I was hoping for more than third pairing or 7th dman mins which he’s basically gotten to start the year

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

First round pick in his d+1 year I was hoping for more than third pairing or 7th dman mins which he’s basically gotten to start the year

Average TOI is 12:04, as a "true" 18 year old in the 3rd best league in the world, producing well too and his underlying numbers are improving after a tough start.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

You can see the fluctuations in his TOI here: #27 Nils Lundkvist

Just having a regular spot in the SHL at 18 is very good for him. Also consider he didn't turn 18 until about a month and a half before the season. He's a very young 18. And his production, relative to other players at his position and age in the SHL, is excellent.

If he were in the U.S. he'd be playing in the CHL and probably putting up huge numbers against teens. Instead he's playing in a league way above the CHL leagues, with men, guys that have extensive NHL and AHL experience in many cases.

Reactions: kovazub94

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Soooo basically exactly like I said it’s been an up and down start for him. And he’s not getting much ice time.

Didn’t bash the kid. Said it’s been a weird stsrt for him

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Soooo basically exactly like I said it’s been an up and down start for him. And he’s not getting much ice time.

But you're saying it in such an incredibly negative way for no reason other then the fact you didn't like the pick on draft day.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

12 minutes per game is good ice time for him.

Most 18 year old defensemen out of Sweden will be playing Allsvenskan, unless they're absolute studs. Lundkvist isn't an absolute stud but he's good enough to be a fixture in an SHL lineup.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

He's also been playing forward a couple times

Agreed it's weird

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's also been playing forward a couple times

Agreed it's weird
Eh, they were down a few forwards and needed reinforcements. You can either try your J20SE team (there's no AHL equivalent for the SHL teams) or have someone like Lundkvist play forward. He did it and even recorded a couple points IIRC. Just reinforces his natural skill.

IMO, the ice time fluctuations are totally normal. He has had a pretty typical season for a young 18 year old defender in the SHL. The only thing that was in any way different was the two games he spent at forward, which honestly, I think is a positive reflection on the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad