Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Poll: #21

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
G Igor Shestyorkin won the #20 spot. LW Chris McCarthy is added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. C J.T. Miller
2. D Brady Skjei
3. LW Anthony Duclair
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. RW Jesper Fast
6. LW Pavel Buchnevich
7. C Oscar Lindberg
8. D Conor Allen
9. RW Danny Kristo
10. RW Ryan Haggerty

SECOND TIER

11. G Brandon Halverson
12. C Adam Tambellini
13. LW Marek Hrivik
14. C Boo Nieves
15. D Ryan Graves
16. LW Ryan Bourque
17. D Petr Zamorsky
18. C Keegan Iverson
19. D Mat Bodie
20. G Igor Shestyorkin

Igor Shestyorkin
Goalie -- Catches Left
Born Dec 30 1995 -- Moscow Russia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 187

2013-14 Spartak MHL 23GP 1.42 GAA .947Sv%

1398446792_b_igor-shesterkin.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hughes, Tommy
Kantor, Michael
Missiaen, Jason
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
Walcott, Daniel
Yogan, Andrew

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Was thinking of going with Skapski, but his poor playoffs scared me off. Having a decent, but unspectacular season in your last season of junior eligibility isn't all that impressive. That the Rangers felt the need to bring in a star AHL goalie shows they think it is unlikely he can be a starter this year in Hartford.

Went with St. Croix. Sucks that he didn't make the AHL last season, but if he did, he would've been a top-10 prospect for us, and we are talking about #21 here. He is just a year removed from scoring 200 points in his final two junior seasons. He has a very high ceiling, though he's a huge risk. Still at this point, I am going with the only prospect who can be a top-6 player.

Add Hughes... because establishing yourself as a top-4 AHL defenseman as a rookie is a lot more impressive than people realize.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Nejezchleb, add Walcott. Look Walcott up people. High speed defenders with offensive skill sets and a sharp development curve are about as good as it gets at this part of the poll. He stood out at prospect camp too.

Check out his bio:

Daniel Walcott is a pretty amazing story. He moved around a few times while a teenager, meaning that nobody really saw him consistently enough to scout him accurately. As a result, he was forced to play for Lindenwood University in the ACHA, which isn’t even Division I hockey. Wanting to return home, he managed to sign with Blainville-Boisbrand Armada of the QMJHL. He quickly made a name for himself and was selected to represent the QMJHL at the Subway Super Series.

http://nyrangersblog.com/2014-articles/summer-2014-new-york-rangers-prospect-rankings-36-25.html

Plus, if he makes it we can nickname him the Medicine Show.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Skapski. Yes, his playoffs were mediocre, but it's hard to judge a kid (especially a goalie) based on such a small sample size in juniors where he can make the POs and then face a talent disparity equivalent to an AHL team playing against an NHL squad. Plus, if you actually look at the games, he had a terrible first round but recovered to play much better in the second round.

Round 1: 1-1-1, 5.25 GA, 0.832 Sv %
Round 2: 2-3-0, 2.88 GA, 0.912 Sv %

Add the Medicine Show. (I was going to pick him before the nickname, but that just sealed it for me.)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
My issue with Walcott is that the Rangers want him back in juniors. If you can keep up even in the ECHL, you stay in the pros. (ECHL is far superior to the juniors in terms of not just maturity, but even the talent of the average player).

While it's true that defensemen take longer to develop, being an overager isn't a great thing. Hughes was also an overager, but then he came in to play really well in the AHL. If Walcott can do that, we'll talk, but for now, Hughes has done something Walcott is only hoping to do.

Also, why not Noreau ahead of Walcott? Not only did he not need an overager season, he is huge (bigger and tougher than even McIlrath), and the big blueliners take longer than anyone else to develop.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
****, I don't know. There's a lot of guys that are interesting in their own right with little to separate them.

I wanted to go Skapski (I'm a fan of his potential), but I actually went with McCarthy. Sounds from reports like he does enough of the little things that he could stick as a solid bottom six guy, if the offense doesn't develop enough to become his calling card way.

Add Tommy Hughes. He's not a sexy player, but he is a guy that at 21 held his own defensively on a ****** AHL team. I feel like he's a pretty safe bet to have a career at least as a seventh defenseman in the NHL. He's a true stay-at-home defensive defenseman, not a mean guy but strong enough to clear out a crease.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
MSC people! highest upside. Add Nicholls. big ppg+ 3 of 5 years in the WHL. only 22. Decent 1st year in the ECHL. He needs to make AHL this season (along with MSC) and pull off similar numbers. I feel like because both MSC and Nicholls played in the E last season, they are automatically being disregarded.

ECHL is not the kiss of death. Besides Girardi; Desharnais (he killed it in the ECHL), Burrows (3 seasons!), Ryder, and Peverley are a few of the more noteable ECHL grads I found.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I know the top end is not what it once was (not surprising given the pick situation) but this list honestly has some pretty good depth.

We are at 21 and still adding/voting for players who at least have some type of upside as an NHLer, many of whom were mid round picks. Not exactly Chris Chappell.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
My issue with Walcott is that the Rangers want him back in juniors. If you can keep up even in the ECHL, you stay in the pros. (ECHL is far superior to the juniors in terms of not just maturity, but even the talent of the average player).

While it's true that defensemen take longer to develop, being an overager isn't a great thing. Hughes was also an overager, but then he came in to play really well in the AHL. If Walcott can do that, we'll talk, but for now, Hughes has done something Walcott is only hoping to do.

Also, why not Noreau ahead of Walcott? Not only did he not need an overager season, he is huge (bigger and tougher than even McIlrath), and the big blueliners take longer than anyone else to develop.

Why is this analysis based SOLELY on Walcott going back for an OA year?

If you look at his development curve, it means nothing. This was his first year in the Q and he's only 169 pounds. This isn't a conventional development path. Why do you think he fell to the 5th round?

It doesn't make him a traditional overager. He's relatively small and has only been in the league one year. You can't just look at the tag "overager" and write him off.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012

You voted for Shestyorkin ahead of Skapski despite the fact that Skapski has proven more and he's earned a contract. Your logic is contradicting. Have you ever even seen Walcott play, or are you just making things up as you go along?

mti79

May 11, 2007
Voted for Nejezchleb. Add Nicholls.... would've gone with the Medicine Show (so good) but I'm committed to getting Nicholls added.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
You voted for Shestyorkin ahead of Skapski despite the fact that Skapski has proven more and he's earned a contract. Your logic is contradicting.

What exactly has Skapski done that Shestyorkin has not? Both played in junior leagues. The Canadian juniors are superior to the Russian juniors, but Shestyorkin put up far better numbers, over a goal less per game. Shestyorkin's numbers were very rare for the Russian juniors because he was exceptionally good, while Skapski put up a solid, but unremarkable performance in the regular season, then was weak in the playoffs.

So again what exactly has Skapski done? Particularly given that he's two years older.

Oh and here's one difference: Shestyorkin played in the KHL, the second best league in the world, and was very competent in his 9 starts there. Skapski has yet to play a game against adults. So if anything, Shestyorkin is more proven despite being two years younger.

Last edited:

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Went with the Canadian err Czech again.

Add Hayes. Still too soon? ...Fine, add Missiaen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00