Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There is certainly value in having a steady stream of goalies able to contribute on their ELCs or cap controlled contracts.

That said however if Shesty is as good as I think he is (Vezina caliber) they'd be foolish to let him walk in UFA unless some other kid in the system is already an obvious star.

Yeah, and with goalies, I think a lot of focus has been on teams managing to win cups with an unproven goalie. And there is no doubt, you can get that performance from many candidates out there. An AHL center can never play a game like McDavid, but there are surely 100 goalies out there that can play a perfect game for 60 minutes in the NHL.

BUT, I also think it’s easy to look past the huge number of teams that over the years just are killed completely by poor goaltending. That never can establish themselves as stronger teams because they didn’t get that goaltending, that confidence as a winning team.

Ultimately I think it comes down to taking it case by case. There is no right or wrong.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The Rangers are going to draft goalies until they find another Georgiev type. Reason why is they can trade Georgiev if they feel they have that guy and get a good return. Drafting goalies or signing UFA goalies if they impress can net you 2nd and 3rd round picks. Those can be valuable. I think the organization feels they have so many young forwards and d men that taking goalies who start to impress other teams can get them those kind of picks. Which can be used to fill out the lower lines when the cap becomes an issue. The Barron picks are very rare. You don't see many picks past the top 3 rounds pan out. Hank was a miracle pick. If you look at most of our team they all were picks in the top 3 rounds. Once in a while you get the St. Louis or Panarin guys who weren't even drafted and you wonder what scouts were looking at. However, you need to hit on those top 3 round picks if you want to win cups.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The Rangers are going to draft goalies until they find another Georgiev type. Reason why is they can trade Georgiev if they feel they have that guy and get a good return. Drafting goalies or signing UFA goalies if they impress can net you 2nd and 3rd round picks. Those can be valuable. I think the organization feels they have so many young forwards and d men that taking goalies who start to impress other teams can get them those kind of picks. Which can be used to fill out the lower lines when the cap becomes an issue. The Barron picks are very rare. You don't see many picks past the top 3 rounds pan out. Hank was a miracle pick. If you look at most of our team they all were picks in the top 3 rounds. Once in a while you get the St. Louis or Panarin guys who weren't even drafted and you wonder what scouts were looking at. However, you need to hit on those top 3 round picks if you want to win cups.

I actually think there are more basic reasons why NYR keep drafting goalies.

1 - IF Shesterkin turns out to be great, he will need to get paid. If he gets paid, backup goalie will need to stay cheap. If we have to pay Shesty over 5m any time soon, we will want to keep the backup spot as close to min ELC as possible.

2 - If Shesty doesnt turn out to be the long term solution, we need more options in the system. Not drafting a goalie for a year or two means at some point there will be a gap in the system. And since goalies don't usually hit, that 1-2 year gap can quickly turn into a 3-4 year gap. Aka the Richter to Hank gap. Something like that could really hurt our contention window.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What is the latest word when the WHL and OHL are starting up again? Stinks not have have a few of our top prospects not playing hockey in juniors yet.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What is the latest word when the WHL and OHL are starting up again? Stinks not have have a few of our top prospects not playing hockey in juniors yet.

WHL season is going to start Jan 8th...teams can assign players to Junior A, Junior B or under 18 teams that are playing to get them into games...that was from a few days ago

The latest I found on the OHL was from 9/17 that said they are still targeting a 12/1 start date with camps opening on Nov 15th.

not sure if either league has addressed the issue of crossing the boarder as they have teams in the US.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
WHL season is going to start Jan 8th...teams can assign players to Junior A, Junior B or under 18 teams that are playing to get them into games...that was from a few days ago

The latest I found on the OHL was from 9/17 that said they are still targeting a 12/1 start date with camps opening on Nov 15th.

not sure if either league has addressed the issue of crossing the boarder as they have teams in the US.
Thanks!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He led all forwards in ice time on his SHL team? Wasn't he playing on the 4th line..is he on the 1st line now? I didn't think he had anymore near the skill to be playing a 1st line role in the SHL.

He was listed on the bottom line in their Twitter graph, yes. But he ended up playing 16:45. Today, the team published a video talking about his increased minutes and bigger role. It's interesting to see how this plays out

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
He was listed on the bottom line in their Twitter graph, yes. But he ended up playing 16:45. Today, the team published a video talking about his increased minutes and bigger role. It's interesting to see how this plays out
I think it's great he led the Fs in icetime, but how the hell do you do that with only 16:45?! Icetime must have been insanely balanced among all lines for that to be the case.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Devon Levi was a goalie that I was hoping we'd take a late flyer on. Flatout dominated the CCHL, and had glowing reports from an international tourney (WJC-A, or something, I don't know all the names).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if him and Garand are neck and neck for the starter spot at the WJCs.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Devon Levi was a goalie that I was hoping we'd take a late flyer on. Flatout dominated the CCHL, and had glowing reports from an international tourney (WJC-A, or something, I don't know all the names).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if him and Garand are neck and neck for the starter spot at the WJCs.

Surprised how many representatives from 2019 draft are still eligible.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Henriksson was scoreless. He has 3 assists in 11 games, and IIRC two were secondary assists on ENGs. That's really disappointing, to me. Yeah, I know, he's 19 and playing regular (and important) minutes in the SHL. He'll be 20 in February. While I wouldn't exactly say the clock is ticking, you really would like to see the production start catching up to the perceived upside.

If you combine his Allsvenskan and SHL career, he has 5 assists in 34 games. Again, he has youth on his side, but the concern with him is does his combination of lack of size and lack of high-end skating prevent him from succeeding against top-level competition. Hopefully it clicks and he starts to produce, but I have some (well-stated) reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->