Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well, if you ask me, suspensions in the NHL are a joke and not nearly enough to serve their purpose. The NHL reminds me of governments trying to discourage smoking by raising the price of a pack of cigarettes by 10 cents
Adult smoking rate in the US is at an all-time low. I quit this year after 20+ years of smoking. Partly because of my health but also because in my state they're so damn expensive.

I agree the NHL is often too lenient, but what I see overseas is too harsh.

Actually I think with the NHL the larger problem is consistency and as @kovazub94 said, too much emphasis on whether the other guy got hurt.

Anyway, a game or two for Edstrom, max. His hit wasn't predatory. Not going for the puck and just trying to knock the other guy off the puck is a legitimate play in my book. My book isn't what counts, though, and I get that. I just think this is silly.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
RE: Hit, look the NHL system is kind of a joke, Mainly because of how wildly inconsistent it is and a little less so for the leniency. However, 5 games for that hit is a bit much. A game would have sent the message there. Heck just kicking him out should have done the job.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I just looked up a pack of cigarettes in NY state it's about $13. Never mind Cancer and emphysema if that doesn't get you to stop nothing will.
Found this sidebar amusing.

In the early 1960s, I used to go to the corner store and get my grandfather cigarettes. When the price went up from $.25 to $.30 he quit dead cold after two packs a day for over 50 years. I’ll be damned if I’m paying 30 cents for a pack of cigarettes he said.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Found this sidebar amusing.

In the early 1960s, I used to go to the corner store and get my grandfather cigarettes. When the price went up from $.25 to $.30 he quit dead cold after two packs a day for over 50 years. I’ll be damned if I’m paying 30 cents for a pack of cigarettes he said.

A postage stamp will go up a cent or two and loads of people go ballistic.....but there's always a window clerk to take it out on if someone wants to. How gas prices will fluctuate though but really how do you yell at a minimum wage cash register clerk about that? There probably are some that do. I do remember postage stamps at around 15 cents and gasoline well under a $1 a gallon before OPEC was a thing and the oil embargo. Times change---unless they've died most people haven't given up on cars though.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
A postage stamp will go up a cent or two and loads of people go ballistic.....but there's always a window clerk to take it out on if someone wants to. How gas prices will fluctuate though but really how do you yell at a minimum wage cash register clerk about that? There probably are some that do. I do remember postage stamps at around 15 cents and gasoline well under a $1 a gallon before OPEC was a thing and the oil embargo. Times change---unless they've died most people haven't given up on cars though.
Oh Bones, I remember when postage stamps went from 3 to 4 cents. There was an uproar. And the first tank of gas I ever bought was 27.9 cents per gallon.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Oh Bones, I remember when postage stamps went from 3 to 4 cents. There was an uproar. And the first tank of gas I ever bought was 27.9 cents per gallon.

Back then that letter from NYC was expected to make it to its destination in Los Angeles or San Francisco or wherever in two days. Quite an efficient operation before they lost their planes just for one thing.

But I seem to remember eating full meals at McDonalds for less than a buck.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Fair enough. Though I think the 'high speed' part is.kind of a mitigating factor. I do hate the third-man pastngs but in this case it seemed to me the play turned really quickly and right into our giant oncoming.
But it’s not a bad lesson to teach a guy to be careful on those hits.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Sure but 5 games????!!!
Glad he’s getting the lesson now, though. Incidentally, this is where leagues are going - rightly, in my opinion - regarding the third-man hits. It’s cool too be third-man to seal off the player from the puck but it has to be done really carefully. It always baffled me when fans were like ‘he’s eligible to be hit so he had better keep his head up’ and shit like that. How can a guy deal with one checker on one side and then a f***ing train coming in from the other side. But I guess people just like seeing brain injuries. I love a great one-in-one hit. Two rams seeing who’s stronger. That’s cool and exciting. And actually, when you know contact is coming it’s pretty safe.
But the third-man train wrecks need to stop. Especially when they’re coming from the opposite direction.

that said, I think this play was more bad luck than intent. But the big fella really needs to be more careful.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Well, if you ask me, suspensions in the NHL are a joke and not nearly enough to serve their purpose. The NHL reminds me of governments trying to discourage smoking by raising the price of a pack of cigarettes by 10 cents
It’s amazing that the players association nearly always protects the aggressor in these things. I understand there are practical reasons but ethically it’s dogshit.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Back then that letter from NYC was expected to make it to its destination in Los Angeles or San Francisco or wherever in two days. Quite an efficient operation before they lost their planes just for one thing.

But I seem to remember eating full meals at McDonalds for less than a buck.
I'm old enough to remember when burgers went from 15 to 18 cents!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Adult smoking rate in the US is at an all-time low. I quit this year after 20+ years of smoking. Partly because of my health but also because in my state they're so damn expensive.

Cigarette use is low in the US, but vaping has skyrocketed and is causing harm to young, adolescent minds. It's quite unfortunate, TBH.

Nonetheless, congrats on quitting!! :)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I read this from the SHL and then watched the hit. The hit was not what I expected... Maybe there are other angles, but I don’t agree at all with some of those points.
Yeah. It really seems to me the play was going one way, there was a turnover causing play to quickly reverse, exactly when Edstrom was right in the guy’s face. He should have just shoved the guy, instead choosing to blast him. Bad choice. But I don’t agree that it was premeditated or predatory. Just a bad decision. Maybe there was more to it we’re not aware of. But if not, it looks like the league overstepping a bit. All that said, I’d still err on the side of more rather than less supplemental discipline. Hopefully a good lesson is learned.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah. It really seems to me the play was going one way, there was a turnover causing play to quickly reverse, exactly when Edstrom was right in the guy’s face. He should have just shoved the guy, instead choosing to blast him. Bad choice. But I don’t agree that it was premeditated or predatory. Just a bad decision. Maybe there was more to it we’re not aware of. But if not, it looks like the league overstepping a bit. All that said, I’d still err on the side of more rather than less supplemental discipline. Hopefully a good lesson is learned.

Yeah, and honestly, I don’t think there is much power at all behind that hit. If they want to call it high and reckless, sure. I can’t tell but he could have caught the other guy on the chin. 1-2 games. But he doesn’t catch him and that is why he has to reach out. And when you reach out you never get any power behind the hit. You can tell by how the other guy goes down, it’s more like he is clipped in the face by a high stick. He drops to the ice. The suspension’s motivation makes it sound like Edström comes in at full speed and blind sides someone tied up with someone else along the boards.

More time to practice I recon, but 5 games is a long time...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There was no way you could tell if he got his shoulder or head from the video. Either way 5 games is absurd.

Unnecessary hit on a defenseless player that has a high risk of injury. I would have given him 2 or 3 games but I can at least understand their reasoning. If you want to eliminate certain hits from the game, a 5-game suspension is probably going to be more effective than a 1-game suspension

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
5 games seems a bit excessive but like Kreiderman said, im sure they are trying to prove a point

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
5 games seems a bit excessive but like Kreiderman said, im sure they are trying to prove a point
I never liked the logic. If you have rules and criteria in place that outline what constitutes an illegal hit and the punishment for it, you go by that. If you want to "prove points" and "establish what isn't tolerated" then you do that through tightening the rules and spelling out that these types of things will earn a minimum of five games. You don't do it by taking a hit that many seem to agree was a game or two, max, and then suddenly make it five, as that just seems arbitrary. And arbitrariness is what makes the NHL's system so ridiculous.

It's like if the punishment for stealing twenty dollars of candy and cigarettes from a convenience store was up to a year and a $500 fine, but then you go on trial and they say, "Well, we want to make a point, so we decided the punishment is now five years in jail." Making a point is fine, but the parties involved need to know how the punishment works before you dole it out.

JMO. I guess it's not a big deal. My fear is always that if you get overzealous with the punishment you change the behavior more than intended and a guy like Edstrom becomes afraid to use his size and physicality entirely.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I never liked the logic. If you have rules and criteria in place that outline what constitutes an illegal hit and the punishment for it, you go by that. If you want to "prove points" and "establish what isn't tolerated" then you do that through tightening the rules and spelling out that these types of things will earn a minimum of five games. You don't do it by taking a hit that many seem to agree was a game or two, max, and then suddenly make it five, as that just seems arbitrary. And arbitrariness is what makes the NHL's system so ridiculous.

It's like if the punishment for stealing twenty dollars of candy and cigarettes from a convenience store was up to a year and a $500 fine, but then you go on trial and they say, "Well, we want to make a point, so we decided the punishment is now five years in jail." Making a point is fine, but the parties involved need to know how the punishment works before you dole it out.

JMO. I guess it's not a big deal. My fear is always that if you get overzealous with the punishment you change the behavior more than intended and a guy like Edstrom becomes afraid to use his size and physicality entirely.

I'm not sure if this is outlined in their rules or if this is an exception by SHL standards. I know by NHL standards it seems excessive but as I alluded earlier, I feel the NHL is way too lenient when it comes to suspensions.

Here's an example of another hit that got a 5-game suspension

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Not sure if it has been posted here in all the Edström suspension discussion, but Calle Själin had a assist in his first league game according to Eliteprospect.

He is only a 5. rounder from the pre-letter days, but still only 21. If he can stop getting injured all the time it will be interesting to follow him this year.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

I think you bring up a good argument also. But unfortunately its impossible to have a clear cut criteria for a hockey hit that is completely subjective to the decision maker.

Reactions: nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->