Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
All depends on what scouting report you read. Basically, a big player who does everything well but nothing elite. Well rounded is how I would describe him. Every once in a while you get one of those guys who gets 35-40 points in college or juniors, 35-40 points in the AHL, 35-40 points in the NHL. Because they are willing to win puck battles in the corners, pay the price to get garbage goals or capitalize on players turning the puck over. I see him as that. Worst case scenario is he becomes one of the better 4th line players in the league which we desperately need. Our 4th lines have been a trash can for years that never contributes. While the big club has a lot of talent, there are a lot of players on it that aren't the brightest with decision making. I don't know what the heck Brooks was looking at when he said Howden played well and was noticeable. He was noticeable because he sucked.

Rangers are very patient with prospects but next year IMO is Howden's last chance to take a big step up otherwise I see him getting dealt. He needs to win at least 53+% of his draws to start.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Rangers are very patient with prospects but next year IMO is Howden's last chance to take a big step up otherwise I see him getting dealt. He needs to win at least 53+% of his draws to start.

I think, for as many players as they've been patient with, they've also been impatient with others. Specifically first rounders.

They rushed Lias. They soured on JT far too soon. They gave up on Graves. Screwed Sjkei's development. They likely rushed Kakko a year too soon. They didn't set VK's expectations enough. While they've let our young D flourish as puck movers, they've not install a system to help them flourish as defenders -- you know the thing they're supposed to do FIRST.

I think it's been a very mixed bag.

In any case, I think MB is coming out at a decent time. I am very intrigued by what he could potentially bring to a bottom 6 role. But I have no problem if he's in the AHL (or whatever there is next year) all season. Make him force his way up.

Finally, this rebuild will fail if we are jettisoning 22 and 23 year olds because they haven't reached their potential yet. Brett Howden's game will be more effective IFFFFF he can built up his strength. He's a bottom 6 guy and if he can't win board battles he's not long for the NHL. To me, it's not even his skill set or his game that I have a big issue with. It's his inability to win battles consistently. That's a physical strength issue.

What I would love, going forward:
1. John Tortorella back. Perfect guy to instill the right system for this team. To help develop our young D and bottom 6 and he demands accountability. I think Quinn has only succeeded 70%. But has really failed to install a more robust team D system this team will need to get to the next level. (young team that are playoff perennials). Our accountability culture MUST be heightened as more kids turn pro. It's just so crucial.
2. I want us to focus on drafting big, fast, strong forwards. (Like CBJ and STL previously did under JD) Once we identify our top 4-5 go to core offensive players. The rest of the lineup just needs to be truculent to give those guys the space to use their skill. We need a team build for the post-season, not the regular season. As enjoyable as the Czechmate Rangers were at times they were never going anywhere.
3. Leave Nils, VK and K'Andre to cook and develop for another year.
4. Treat next year as another transition year.
5. We need a new Barb Underhill. There are just too many kids that we've drafted that need an extra step. Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, (Lias). These guys all have great skating ability but could get better with their speed/first step. We need to make power skating a priority. Especially if we continue to draft truculence. Many of the bigger guys need to add a step once they turn pro.
6. Finally, strength. We need to be drafting kids that are highly motivated when it comes to wanting to improve. Kids that put in more effort than anyone else when it comes to diet/fitness and strength training.

Ok, my rant is over. But I will say that evidence suggests that the team is not yet where it needs to be based on what JD preached when he came in.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Agree quite a few of our players could use a little improvement on their skating. Torts was an idiot. He ran players into the ground and they were dead before the playoffs started. He ruins any offense of offensive players. The answer probably is the coach we have for the Pack who is very talented. However, not ready to give up on Quinn yet. Not sure we rushed Lias. You can't predict a mental breakdown. His game could have done fine in the pro's. It was his head that was a problem. I stand by drafting Schneider. In 3-4 years our d on the right side will have Lundkvist and Fox. That's it. I don't see Trouba here for many reasons after 4 years. I don't think TDA will be here 2 years from now. I believe the Rangers are going to target at least 2, young forwards that are playoff types and use players like Georgiev, TDA, Fast, Strome and some prospects to trade for those forwards. Barron is a playoff type from his scouting reports. Any forward they draft will probably be 3-4 years away. This team needs to win starting next season. I still believe that Kopitar has a few special years left. If you can get L.A. to take Staal or Smith in a deal for him it's a win. I think he would be fabulous developing the likes of Kakko, Kravtsov and Chytil. Chytil is not a center. That experiment should be over.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Can anybody give me some info on Barron?

This is not a view of him, but a view of the views of him if you get what I mean.

The potential is there — but staying with the pace and staying relevant on a shift by shift basis is a huge challenge for guys built like him. He is obviously talented and a good player. But nothing is a given.

It comes down to this. Staying with the pace and skating at the NHL level is only partly about skating. A few can also make up for a lost step by making better reads and getting moving in the right direction before the other players out there at the highest level.

I am sure he is a great add to the organizational depth and will help in HFD no matter what. But no matter how “good” he is, it will amount to nothing if he can’t do a lot better than the average kid that comes up and knocks on the door to the NHL at reading the play and pursuing the puck.

With that said — I don’t mind the odds at all. It’s not like we drafted him top 5. Everyone have questionmarks and challenges. But my point is just, I’ve watched a lot of video of him and read all the reports. Anyone saying that they are sold on his skating, I think are underrating the challenges these guys face in the NHL. Just look at Nolan Patrick...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
My no one asked prediction for this season is that our bust out prospect that rockets up the prospect list will be Karl henriksson

Reactions: Ola and LaffyTaffy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Power Five conferences talking about no football in the Fall. One would think that doesn't bode well for hockey. Jones, Ciccolini, Hughes, and Kjellberg will have tough decisions.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Power Five conferences talking about no football in the Fall. One would think that doesn't bode well for hockey. Jones, Ciccolini, Hughes, and Kjellberg will have tough decisions.
All w just one/frosh season played, All but Jones late picks, long shots
I think Hughes, Cicc just wait it out

Not familiar, how high a level could Kjellberg playn Sweden and retain NCAA eligibility?

Jones most interesting, could a team in Euro league, like Swiss, tempt him to turn pro?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
All w just one/frosh season played, All but Jones late picks, long shots
I think Hughes, Cicc just wait it out

Not familiar, how high a level could Kjellberg playn Sweden and retain NCAA eligibility?

Jones most interesting, could a team in Euro league, like Swiss, tempt him to turn pro?

NCAA is strict. You can't even get a stipend in the major juniors and still be eligible. I don't know the precise answer to the question though- guys like Hagelin and Kjellberg only played "J20" before coming to the NCAA- I can't imagine that, for example, the Allsvenskan where he would likely be playing would let him return to the NCAA.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Any word on how Ragnarsson was looking through 2019-2020? I'm sure I missed the update here.

Is he still a legitimate prospect?

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
With that said — I don’t mind the odds at all. It’s not like we drafted him top 5. Everyone have questionmarks and challenges. But my point is just, I’ve watched a lot of video of him and read all the reports. Anyone saying that they are sold on his skating, I think are underrating the challenges these guys face in the NHL. Just look at Nolan Patrick...
Agreed.

Reactions: Ola

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Any word on how Ragnarsson was looking through 2019-2020? I'm sure I missed the update here.

Is he still a legitimate prospect?
I thought he looked okay the few times I caught him. Fairly good defensively, good skater, can carry the puck well. This was in Allsvenskan after Rogle decided they didn't need him. He'll be with Timra again this season. He needs to have a good year to get another shot at playing in the SHL or earning an ELC. He still has the talent to make it, but he can't ever stay healthy, and he needs to play more consistently. We still have basically two years to make a decision on him, so we'll see. Still a prospect, but more of a fringe-type at this point.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I thought he looked okay the few times I caught him. Fairly good defensively, good skater, can carry the puck well. This was in Allsvenskan after Rogle decided they didn't need him. He'll be with Timra again this season. He needs to have a good year to get another shot at playing in the SHL or earning an ELC. He still has the talent to make it, but he can't ever stay healthy, and he needs to play more consistently. We still have basically two years to make a decision on him, so we'll see. Still a prospect, but more of a fringe-type at this point.

Yeah, can't really argue here. Ragnarsson has slowly reached Calle Själin territory, but you can't win them all.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
For guys like Miller, Nils, Robertson, Barron and whoever is 1st rounder....wherever they decide to play, their seasons are set to start earlier than the NHL is that correct? We could call them up in March and they may still get half a season with the club but still had time to learn and develop.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
For guys like Miller, Nils, Robertson, Barron and whoever is 1st rounder....wherever they decide to play, their seasons are set to start earlier than the NHL is that correct? We could call them up in March and they may still get half a season with the club but still had time to learn and develop.

possible but i don't see first year pros as getting key roles too soon,
especially not Miller (still learning on D) or Lundkvist (not signed).

Figure the slightly older more experienced prospects- Gettinger/Kravstov, Hajek/Reunanen get opportunities sooner,
Richards, Barron could fit a late season need;
after WHL season ends, Robertson might jump Miller in the LHD fill-in queue

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Miller and Barron, the AHL guys, that season is tentatively slated for an early December start. So not necessarily much if at all earlier than the NHL. Same for someone like Robertson in the WHL (it's WHL or NHL for him).

The European leagues and KHL will start much earlier than the NHL. NCAA hockey would be spring but likely not at all. Canadian Junior and AHL will probably start around the same time as the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Miller and Barron, the AHL guys, that season is tentatively slated for an early December start. So not necessarily much if at all earlier than the NHL. Same for someone like Robertson in the WHL (it's WHL or NHL for him).

The European leagues and KHL will start much earlier than the NHL. NCAA hockey would be spring but likely not at all. Canadian Junior and AHL will probably start around the same time as the NHL.
I have the solution. Henrik retires and goes to play a year in Frolunda. As a parting gift, we let him bring Baron, Miller, Kravtsov, Lafreniere (after he is officially ours) on loan to start their season! They can all crash in his mansion.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have the solution. Henrik retires and goes to play a year in Frolunda. As a parting gift, we let him bring Baron, Miller, Kravtsov, Lafreniere (after he is officially ours) on loan to start their season! They can all crash in his mansion.

I know this is a joke, but I would seriously consider loaning Barron, Kravtsov an Miller our overseas together

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

What exactly is the situation with regards to Reunanen. Certainly would've been in a normal camp, but will he be playing in Liiga and will they recall him for camp even with the potential to send him back?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I think, for as many players as they've been patient with, they've also been impatient with others. Specifically first rounders.

They rushed Lias. They soured on JT far too soon. They gave up on Graves. Screwed Sjkei's development. They likely rushed Kakko a year too soon. They didn't set VK's expectations enough. While they've let our young D flourish as puck movers, they've not install a system to help them flourish as defenders -- you know the thing they're supposed to do FIRST.

I think it's been a very mixed bag.

In any case, I think MB is coming out at a decent time. I am very intrigued by what he could potentially bring to a bottom 6 role. But I have no problem if he's in the AHL (or whatever there is next year) all season. Make him force his way up.

Finally, this rebuild will fail if we are jettisoning 22 and 23 year olds because they haven't reached their potential yet. Brett Howden's game will be more effective IFFFFF he can built up his strength. He's a bottom 6 guy and if he can't win board battles he's not long for the NHL. To me, it's not even his skill set or his game that I have a big issue with. It's his inability to win battles consistently. That's a physical strength issue.

What I would love, going forward:
1. John Tortorella back. Perfect guy to instill the right system for this team. To help develop our young D and bottom 6 and he demands accountability. I think Quinn has only succeeded 70%. But has really failed to install a more robust team D system this team will need to get to the next level. (young team that are playoff perennials). Our accountability culture MUST be heightened as more kids turn pro. It's just so crucial.
2. I want us to focus on drafting big, fast, strong forwards. (Like CBJ and STL previously did under JD) Once we identify our top 4-5 go to core offensive players. The rest of the lineup just needs to be truculent to give those guys the space to use their skill. We need a team build for the post-season, not the regular season. As enjoyable as the Czechmate Rangers were at times they were never going anywhere.
3. Leave Nils, VK and K'Andre to cook and develop for another year.
4. Treat next year as another transition year.
5. We need a new Barb Underhill. There are just too many kids that we've drafted that need an extra step. Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox, (Lias). These guys all have great skating ability but could get better with their speed/first step. We need to make power skating a priority. Especially if we continue to draft truculence. Many of the bigger guys need to add a step once they turn pro.
6. Finally, strength. We need to be drafting kids that are highly motivated when it comes to wanting to improve. Kids that put in more effort than anyone else when it comes to diet/fitness and strength training.

Ok, my rant is over. But I will say that evidence suggests that the team is not yet where it needs to be based on what JD preached when he came

in.
Nah I don’t think Torys being back would help. That ship has sailed. Also his style of hockey doesn’t get you too far in the playoffs anymore as we have seen

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What exactly is the situation with regards to Reunanen. Certainly would've been in a normal camp, but will he be playing in Liiga and will they recall him for camp even with the potential to send him back?
I would expect him to be loaned to a Liiga team. If the AHL ends up having a season (they should be starting up around the time the NHL is starting) then I think they'd bring him back, let him go through camp, and send him to the AHL afterwards.

If there's no AHL season I would think they probably just loan him out and leave him there.

Reactions: Tawnos and Leetch3

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I know this is a joke, but I would seriously consider loaning Barron, Kravtsov an Miller our overseas together

Again, its a joke, sure, but dont most European leagues have limits on # of imports can be on a roster?

NYR, with the finances to do it, should have an officail affiliation/farm team in like the DEL or Extraliga, as a place to stock prospects that might be too young for the AHL, or on bad teams elsewhere in the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad