Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He’ll be 22 by the time the season starts.

Development is pretty much over.

Age doesn't mean everything when it comes to development. Suggesting that he's a finished product when he has never played above the NCAA level is ridiculous. He will grow as a player just by virtue of playing at a higher level. Or he won't and he'll never be an NHL player, but it has nothing to do with his age.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Age doesn't mean everything when it comes to development. Suggesting that he's a finished product when he has never played above the NCAA level is ridiculous. He will grow as a player just by virtue of playing at a higher level. Or he won't and he'll never be an NHL player, but it has nothing to do with his age.

Considering his weight for his height and age, he’s as good as he gets physically. His point totals aren’t going to ramp up because he’s suddenly playing with NHLers, will have similar point totals over an 82 game season. Having him marinate down on the farm that won’t play this year isn’t possible, he’s in sink or swim territory.

Considering how the team has handled development for the last decade, it might be his best bet.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Considering his weight for his height and age, he’s as good as he gets physically. His point totals aren’t going to ramp up because he’s suddenly playing with NHLers, will have similar point totals over an 82 game season. Having him marinate down on the farm that won’t play this year isn’t possible, he’s in sink or swim territory.

Considering how the team has handled development for the last decade, it might be his best bet.

this is next level Bullshit.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Physically, he might be as developed as he can be, though even then, it's likely that he can make improvements in both training and diet. Maybe he gets to the NHL and realizes he needs to add a step, so he slims down a bit.

Mentally, he still has a lot of development left. If nothing else, he has to learn what will work at this level and find ways to contribute beyond just scoring. Players don't just magically know everything once they reach a certain age. Hell, Zib is still developing at 27.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Im not really eager to continually take prospects with some upside and bury them on the 4th line getting 10 minutes a game. If we're talking about prospects in the mold of Gettinger, Fontaine, Edstrom who might not have much upside but can fill a useful role than sure but a kid like Barron, no.

I think your setting expectations a little too high for Barron. Im a big Barron fan but he probably tops out as a 3rd liner. Probably more than just a plug in role guy but not a ton more than a Brendan Lemieux as far as contribution

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Physically, he might be as developed as he can be, though even then, it's likely that he can make improvements in both training and diet. Maybe he gets to the NHL and realizes he needs to add a step, so he slims down a bit.

Mentally, he still has a lot of development left. If nothing else, he has to learn what will work at this level and find ways to contribute beyond just scoring. Players don't just magically know everything once they reach a certain age. Hell, Zib is still developing at 27.
This site is so obsessed with youth that many fans here would rather win the draft lottery than the stanley cup. Players are constantly developing, even into their 30’s. Things like poise, leadership, hockey IQ, etc are constantly being developed as a player ages, one of the reasons veteran presence/leadership/intangibles actually matter regardless of whether it’s something pudgy millennials who never played hockey can plot on a fancy chart. If we’re in game 7 OT I would rather have Crosby on my team than McDavid.

Another reason I hope to God we don’t move DeAngelo or Lemieux, they are both a hockey players hockey player. Lindgren too. I love how much character & swagger this team has compared to the milquetoast Rangers of the last decade. Those kind of players are the reason we come back when we’re down 4-0 against MTL, nearly from 6-0 against EDM, etc

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
This site is so obsessed with youth that many fans here would rather win the draft lottery than the stanley cup. Players are constantly developing, even into their 30’s. Things like poise, leadership, hockey IQ, etc are constantly being developed as a player ages, one of the reasons veteran presence/leadership/intangibles actually matter regardless of whether it’s something pudgy millennials who never played hockey can plot on a fancy chart. If we’re in game 7 OT I would rather have Crosby on my team than McDavid.

Another reason I hope to God we don’t move DeAngelo or Lemieux, they are both a hockey players hockey player. Lindgren too. I love how much character & swagger this team has compared to the milquetoast Rangers of the last decade. Those kind of players are the reason we come back when we’re down 4-0 against MTL, nearly from 6-0 against EDM, etc
Of course you'd rather win the lottery, because that would give you a better shot at winning multiple Cups down the road.
Just kidding, but that's the thought process some people have.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I think your setting expectations a little too high for Barron. Im a big Barron fan but he probably tops out as a 3rd liner. Probably more than just a plug in role guy but not a ton more than a Brendan Lemieux as far as contribution
My expectations aren't different from yours I just see more value for their development in letting these kids play a larger role down in the A first

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Until McDavid goes coast to coast on you and shatters your face.

I don't think anyone would rather win the draft lottery than the cup, that is absurd. I'd rather win the draft lottery than get knocked out in the first 2 rounds though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I'd rather have Justin Williams than either of them in game 7 ;)

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
My expectations aren't different from yours I just see more value for their development in letting these kids play a larger role down in the A first

If the Rangers knew how to develop players, you might have a point. Plenty of evidence demonstrates otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->