Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Leslie's Top 20
Pre-Draft Rangers Top 20 Prospects - NY Sports Day

remarkable pipeline rebuild, to have top 20 with no room for guys like
Skinner, Henriksson, Wall, Ronning, Ciccolini, Lindbom and more

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
relatedly, the QO deadline should be interesting,
some of you may have seen how teams are renouncing guys at greater levels than typical

Obvi Buch, Shesty, Chytil and even Hajek get QO's

every reason to expect Huska, Gettinger and Ronning get QO's

most likely non-QO's Crawley and Fontaine,

these guys seem to be maybe
Rykov (but little downside, and in past they did QO Klingberg, Jensen)

Newell? seems a marginal prospect, and lots of F's added since he signed,
but coach KK used him a lot last season

Henriksson should of course be in there and not at the end either (around 6-10). Probably an oversight? But great depth!

Reactions: Ranger Ric

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Hey guys, I watched Berrard in the world juniors. Kid was a menace. I went to go check out how he's doing in College and the point totals were disappointing. I am assuming it was a lack of ice time. If anyone has any insight, I would like to hear about it. Thank you!

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Hey guys, I watched Berrard in the world juniors. Kid was a menace. I went to go check out how he's doing in College and the point totals were disappointing. I am assuming it was a lack of ice time. If anyone has any insight, I would like to hear about it. Thank you!

i wouldn't read much into it
it was a weird NCAA/Hockey East season to begin with
in NCAA hockey, it is not uncommon, in deeper programs, for freshman to get limited opportunities
Prov has been strong at recruiting, and results, most of these ~10 years since Nate arrived
actually his 10 points in 19 games, and enough ice time to rack up 16PIM, are pretty respectable for his situation

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Always trust your eyes over the statline in the NCAA.

It's a great developmental league but offensive production in it is super sketchy in terms of translating to the pros. Especially with the 18-19 year old kids.

Theres a million and one examples I could get into, but I'm only ever really concerned if a prospect in the NCAA isn't playing regularly.

I could tell, for example, that Max Campbell and Aaron Bogosian were ECHL level players and that Hagelin was not, just by virtue of watching how they played the game.

Reactions: Ola

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Team Canada summer showcase: U18 standouts and World Junior roster projection

LW Brennan Othmann: Othmann didn’t play with prominent lineups and took his turn as a 13th forward but was still consistently making things happen offensively. His outside speed looks improved and he beat his guy wide more often than not. And while he can drift to the perimeter in possession, I thought he did a good job feeding pucks into the interior to create chances (and goals) for his linemates.

G Dylan Garand: Garand was good. He looked like a returnee and never seemed bothered or panicked in the net, which each of the other four did at times.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I am actually pretty excited about the Korczac pick the more I look into him. I actually think, based off what I have read, that he has a slight chance of becoming a top 6 center. Not a high chance I guess, but still. Perhaps a bit of the Brayden Point path. Also a 3rd round pick if I remember correctly.

Othmann still can turn out to be a great player, regardless of whether or not that pick was "good asset management" or not

I am actually a bit hyped about Henriksson too. Don't know how far he will go, but he's a nice chip to have in the bank.

If Morgan Barron can repeat his past season's AHL success, he's going to be a steal and a great piece for the future. AHL was much weaker last season than most years so player performance might not have the same significance it usually does. Saw a lot of young players put up nice AHL numbers last season who might not have otherwise. But I did think he was more prepared to play center than seems to be the case. Which is fine, we still could use a winger like him in the long run. All though, I think they still have idea of grooming him at center.

A lot of people seem very, very high on Robertson. And I am not necessarily down on Robertson, but I am not sure the offensive potential is quite there. Which is fine, we still need Dmen like him. I just wouldn't rank him ahead of Jones in the overall landscape of Ranger D prospects. Jones seemingly has a much higher offensive ceiling. But I do think what Robertson does bring to the table could eventually make him as valuable to us as Miller. And Miller, I am not sure is as locked into our future as many think. I totally think in the right situation, right trade scenario, we could see Miller traded before both Jones and Robertson. In part because we do have Jones and Robertson. And I think Jones has a higher offensive ceiling than Miller and Robertson a higher defensive ceiling than Miller, which kind of puts Miller in a weird position. All though Miller, theoretically, could bring a higher combination of offense and defense than either Jones or Robertson. It's going to be interesting seeing how all these young defenders turn out. I doubt anything is written in stone beyond Lindgren, Fox and Lundqvist though and probably Schneider as well. It's a shame we can't get rid of Trouba sooner, because Schneider might be ready sooner than expected. Patience will be necessary. I would honestly rather see Schneider brought along slowly on the right side, than experimented with on the left side before he's progressed to a point where he has the right side NHL ready.

Lamb could also prove to be an absolute steal in this draft. Unconventional path and production in high-school. It's a giant question mark how his skills will carry over to college when he goes. I think Minnesota. Which is a really good sign that he's going to be playing for such a prolific college team. He'll have every opportunity to jump many players drafted ahead of him. Wouldn't be crazy considering what guys like Fox, Jones, Barron and even Vesey did after they were drafted.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I am actually pretty excited about the Korczac pick the more I look into him. I actually think, based off what I have read, that he has a slight chance of becoming a top 6 center. Not a high chance I guess, but still. Perhaps a bit of the Brayden Point path. Also a 3rd round pick if I remember correctly.

Othmann still can turn out to be a great player, regardless of whether or not that pick was "good asset management" or not

I am actually a bit hyped about Henriksson too. Don't know how far he will go, but he's a nice chip to have in the bank.

If Morgan Barron can repeat his past season's AHL success, he's going to be a steal and a great piece for the future. AHL was much weaker last season than most years so player performance might not have the same significance it usually does. Saw a lot of young players put up nice AHL numbers last season who might not have otherwise. But I did think he was more prepared to play center than seems to be the case. Which is fine, we still could use a winger like him in the long run. All though, I think they still have idea of grooming him at center.

A lot of people seem very, very high on Robertson. And I am not necessarily down on Robertson, but I am not sure the offensive potential is quite there. Which is fine, we still need Dmen like him. I just wouldn't rank him ahead of Jones in the overall landscape of Ranger D prospects. Jones seemingly has a much higher offensive ceiling. But I do think what Robertson does bring to the table could eventually make him as valuable to us as Miller. And Miller, I am not sure is as locked into our future as many think. I totally think in the right situation, right trade scenario, we could see Miller traded before both Jones and Robertson. In part because we do have Jones and Robertson. And I think Jones has a higher offensive ceiling than Miller and Robertson a higher defensive ceiling than Miller, which kind of puts Miller in a weird position. All though Miller, theoretically, could bring a higher combination of offense and defense than either Jones or Robertson. It's going to be interesting seeing how all these young defenders turn out. I doubt anything is written in stone beyond Lindgren, Fox and Lundqvist though and probably Schneider as well. It's a shame we can't get rid of Trouba sooner, because Schneider might be ready sooner than expected. Patience will be necessary. I would honestly rather see Schneider brought along slowly on the right side, than experimented with on the left side before he's progressed to a point where he has the right side NHL ready.

Lamb could also prove to be an absolute steal in this draft. Unconventional path and production in high-school. It's a giant question mark how his skills will carry over to college when he goes. I think Minnesota. Which is a really good sign that he's going to be playing for such a prolific college team. He'll have every opportunity to jump many players drafted ahead of him. Wouldn't be crazy considering what guys like Fox, Jones, Barron and even Vesey did after they were drafted.

Great post. Very thoughtful. I too think Barron's future lies at center. The size/skill package he possess seems to be what the rangers are looking for as far as bottom 6 players go.
The only difference we seem to have is that I’m real high on Robertson. He moves the puck very well. He’s got a good head on his shoulders. I do agree though that he probably won’t be lighting up the stat sheet. But that’s ok in the grand scheme of things. I feel the same way about Miller’s future is Robertson hits his ceiling. He won’t be as fast, but I think he’ll be a better overall defender, especially in 1 on 1 situations.
I’m happy to hear about your thoughts on Korczac. It would be great if we can find another diamond in the rough. What type of player does his style compare to in your opinion?
We both agree Othmann will be solid, even if their were better options taken after him.
With Trouba’s deal set up the way it is, and Schneider and Robertson in the system, I think the 2 most likely trade candidates are Miller and Lundkvist on the blue line. Not because their not great prospects, but we have others to assume the positions that offer a different style of play. I don’t think lundkvist will ever truly be able to stretch his wings here, mainly because fox will be playing in all the situations that we would need lundkvist in to truly optimize his talents.
I think the people thinking that they are going to park Schneider in Hartford for multiple years are in for a rude awakening, he’s headed for the NHL like a freight train and is not far off at all. Imo, maybe half to a full year in the A at most. He’s going to be stepping into top 4 duty as soon as they can move trouba in 3 years imo. Kid is the total package.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Great post. Very thoughtful. I too think Barron's future lies at center. The size/skill package he possess seems to be what the rangers are looking for as far as bottom 6 players go.
The only difference we seem to have is that I’m real high on Robertson. He moves the puck very well. He’s got a good head on his shoulders. I do agree though that he probably won’t be lighting up the stat sheet. But that’s ok in the grand scheme of things. I feel the same way about Miller’s future is Robertson hits his ceiling. He won’t be as fast, but I think he’ll be a better overall defender, especially in 1 on 1 situations.
I’m happy to hear about your thoughts on Korczac. It would be great if we can find another diamond in the rough. What type of player does his style compare to in your opinion?
We both agree Othmann will be solid, even if their were better options taken after him.
With Trouba’s deal set up the way it is, and Schneider and Robertson in the system, I think the 2 most likely trade candidates are Miller and Lundkvist on the blue line. Not because their not great prospects, but we have others to assume the positions that offer a different style of play. I don’t think lundkvist will ever truly be able to stretch his wings here, mainly because fox will be playing in all the situations that we would need lundkvist in to truly optimize his talents.
I think the people thinking that they are going to park Schneider in Hartford for multiple years are in for a rude awakening, he’s headed for the NHL like a freight train and is not far off at all. Imo, maybe half to a full year in the A at most. He’s going to be stepping into top 4 duty as soon as they can move trouba in 3 years imo. Kid is the total package.

Yea, I could see why Robertson would still be an important piece

And I actually agree with you about Schneider too, that he may force his way here sooner rather than later.

Also on Lundqvist. I still think he can make a name for himself here, but it's going to be difficult for the reasons you said. I know this may sound crazy, but if he is as good as expected and as good a PP player as expected, he could move past Fox on the PP. There were stretches in the first half of last season where Fox didn't look so in tune on the PP. Of course a lot of that changed in the second half of the season. But if Lundqvist is everything people claim, he could still make a name for himself on the PP which would allow Fox more rest and more time in 5x5 or on the PK even, which I forget how much time he spent on the PK last season. But ultimately he could be better used in that regard. And then if Schneider does force his way, he seems like a guy that would eventually dominate the PK. I kind of see Jones as a similar possibility, with Lundqvist, in those PP roles and if they fit into 2nd or 3rd pairing at any point. Combined they could basically make Fox the 3rd guy on the PP. And sure why would you do that when he was so good last season? Well, a) they would have to be as good or better and b) because Fox would be better used in 5x5 more and probably PK. So tactically I think it makes sense. But going to be tough to actually get games for all our young defenders unless we see injuries. Nemeth is the only one I can see losing out time as of right now at least. And he probably should just be a depth player anyway.

And if like you say, Lundqvist doesn't make a place for himself here, I can absolutely see him getting traded. He's probably our most valuable chip right now. Well outside of like Fox, Laf, Panarin and Sheisty. The return would be legit. Like I think we could even pull off getting a very young, high upside center prospect if we would include Lunqvist in it. Like a Turcotte or Vilardi. So basically he has to be as good or better than Fox offensively to really deserve his place. Meanwhile, I think Jones, because he's a LD, doesn't have to be quite as good as Fox offensively or defensively. But just has to be good enough offensively to be the top offensive LD, which isn't unrealistic with our crop of LD. Having him paired with Fox on a PP seems like it could be nasty.

Korczak I really see kind of like Brayden Point. I can't say if he will have the success of Point obviously, but stylistically and just size wise, Korczac is probably a little taller. And both 3rd rounders. And yea, I don't think odds are on Korvzac's side as far as becoming a legit player let alone becoming like Point. But if he does succeed and reach his ceiling, I think it's somewhere in that realm. He's got a lot of work to do.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016

I agree with almost everything you said except for Miller. He's got insane potential and he keeps blowing past expectations. It's not just the size / skating combo either, he made some really high end offensive plays at the beginning of the year too. I'd be very very hesitant to give him up.

I get Yanni Gourde vibes from Korczak. He's my favorite pick we made this year, other than Othmann, of course.

I think Lamb is really intriguing, but there's so little to evaluate him on that it's been tough to form more of an opinion on him. I think it's worth keeping in mind with him and Kempf that the last several picks our US scouts have made (Miller, Jones, Berard, Skinner) have all been great for where they were taken.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Lamb is going to need to work on a lot, but if he can pull it together we may very well have a Jamie Benn in our system. He's going to be a long-term project, though.
is Lamb a physical and tough as Benn is? does he play the power physical type of game?

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
is Lamb a physical and tough as Benn is? does he play the power physical type of game?

I'm not sure Lamb is going to be quite as physical as Benn. Actually, I would say probably not. But he's not soft. It's so hard to tell from a high school level what type of player someone might end up being, in comparison. Still so much growth physically and skill wise. Maybe a little Bjorkstrand? Was going to say perhaps a bit Boeser, but didn't want to suggest he has Boeser's talent, don't think he will be at that level. Guentzal perhaps? Eh.. He's a good RW. If he succeeds we will have found a good one and mostly likely if he finds success is a middle 6 RW. But you never know.

Great shot, great playmaker. Going to be a scorer at whatever level.

Just wanted to post his high school numbers. These aren't out of the ordinary for high school. But Lamb's production is on par with like Mittlestadt's production in high school. And while it doesn't seem a lot of the elite high school players end up going to the NHL, the ones that do often take the college path. And going to a program like Minnesota is huge for a player like Lamb. He's going to have to progress and prove himself to be an impact player for that program. I think it'l be a good way to gauge if he can sink or swim at the NHL level. If he ends up a top line player there or I guess top 6 to an extent, he's going to be a serious prospect most likely.

I think he's headed for one year of USHL before college.

STEAMLEAGUEGPGATPPIM+/-POSTGPGATPPIM+/-
2018-19
6.png
MN Penguins 15U AAA
MNBEL 14U13415-|
2019-20
6.png
Minnesota Blizzard 16U AAA
16U AAA-----|
6.png
Dodge County Wildcats
USHS-MN2246206614|Playoffs23362
2020-21
6.png
Team TDS Transportation
UMHSEHL191211232|Playoffs20110
6.png
Dodge County Wildcats “C”
USHS-MN2452358712|
6.png
Green Bay Gamblers
USHL1002221|Playoffs100000
2023-24
6.png
Univ. of Minnesota
NCAA-----|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I know we need to add top 6 capable C's into the system, no doubt about that, but we do have some centers added that past two drafts that could fill those 3c and 4c roles down the road. They all have some intriguing skillsets and pedigree, and they're all guys we'll need to be patient with their development.

2002 born: Tarnstrom (6'1 lefty), Vierling (6' lefty), Korczak (5'10 righty)
2003 born: Grubbe (6'3 righty)

Tarnstrom had a really up and down year, got covid and bounced around. Vierling missed the whole season with no OHL games. Korczak was underwhelming, and Grubbe also had that bad knee injury. All of these guys can hopefully get a full offseason to train and a normal camp and season for us to really see what we have. Last year is really a throwaway for all of them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I know we need to add top 6 capable C's into the system, no doubt about that, but we do have some centers added that past two drafts that could fill those 3c and 4c roles down the road. They all have some intriguing skillsets and pedigree, and they're all guys we'll need to be patient with their development.

2002 born: Tarnstrom (6'1 lefty), Vierling (6' lefty), Korczak (5'10 righty)
2003 born: Grubbe (6'3 righty)

Tarnstrom had a really up and down year, got covid and bounced around. Vierling missed the whole season with no OHL games. Korczak was underwhelming, and Grubbe also had that bad knee injury. All of these guys can hopefully get a full offseason to train and a normal camp and season for us to really see what we have. Last year is really a throwaway for all of them.

If I had to rank those 4 in terms of upside, it'd be:

1. Vierling
2. Korczak
3. Grubbe
4. Tärnström

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not trying to blow smoke up your ass but you do always have great takes on prospects. I am very intrigued by Vierling, what kind of upside do you see in him?

Vierling should never have fallen to the 5th round IMO. He was one of those players that really stood out when the 5th round started with what was available on the board, same with Berard.

Tough to say anything about Vierling, having missed an entire year with the OHL cancelled last season but he is a high-upside player who reminds me a lot of the Brad Morrison pick years ago. Morrison didn't pan out but the talent was still there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
St. Croix like Vierling was another faller I liked, unfortunately his skating simply wasn't up to par at this level.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
If I had to rank those 4 in terms of upside, it'd be:

1. Vierling
2. Korczak
3. Grubbe
4. Tärnström

I like Vierling a lot. And I think he has a higher chance of success than Korczac. But Im not sure his ceiling is as high as Korczac. Grubbe May have highest floor lower ceiling. AT least, small chance, but if Korczac did max out potential he could be a top 6 talent. More likely middle 6 though. If he stays at center that is. He played on Brayden Traceys wing prior to moving to center where he did have more success at center.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers have 4 prospects in the Champions Hockey League this upcoming season:

Kalle Väisänen* - TPS Turku
Adam Edström - Rögle BK
Oliver Tärnström* - Rögle BK
Karl Henriksson - Frölunda Indians

*Expected to start in their u20 league

Reactions: brakeyawself

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can I just say... I'm starting to really like the Edstrom pick in 2019. He's looking like a real good value pick in the 6th round.

Don't think he's getting enough love here...

Yeah, the scouts are quite happy with the additions of Edström, Richards and Rueschhoff who are guys they are high on, albeit in a 4th line role.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I'm not sure Lamb is going to be quite as physical as Benn. Actually, I would say probably not. But he's not soft. It's so hard to tell from a high school level what type of player someone might end up being, in comparison. Still so much growth physically and skill wise. Maybe a little Bjorkstrand? Was going to say perhaps a bit Boeser, but didn't want to suggest he has Boeser's talent, don't think he will be at that level. Guentzal perhaps? Eh.. He's a good RW. If he succeeds we will have found a good one and mostly likely if he finds success is a middle 6 RW. But you never know.

Great shot, great playmaker. Going to be a scorer at whatever level.

Just wanted to post his high school numbers. These aren't out of the ordinary for high school. But Lamb's production is on par with like Mittlestadt's production in high school. And while it doesn't seem a lot of the elite high school players end up going to the NHL, the ones that do often take the college path. And going to a program like Minnesota is huge for a player like Lamb. He's going to have to progress and prove himself to be an impact player for that program. I think it'l be a good way to gauge if he can sink or swim at the NHL level. If he ends up a top line player there or I guess top 6 to an extent, he's going to be a serious prospect most likely.

I think he's headed for one year of USHL before college.

Sounds like Ryan Gropp to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad