Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Updated: 11.25.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Leslie's Top 20
Pre-Draft Rangers Top 20 Prospects - NY Sports Day

remarkable pipeline rebuild, to have top 20 with no room for guys like
Skinner, Henriksson, Wall, Ronning, Ciccolini, Lindbom and more

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
relatedly, the QO deadline should be interesting,
some of you may have seen how teams are renouncing guys at greater levels than typical

Obvi Buch, Shesty, Chytil and even Hajek get QO's

every reason to expect Huska, Gettinger and Ronning get QO's

most likely non-QO's Crawley and Fontaine,

these guys seem to be maybe
Rykov (but little downside, and in past they did QO Klingberg, Jensen)

Newell? seems a marginal prospect, and lots of F's added since he signed,
but coach KK used him a lot last season

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We have eight players projected to be playing in North American juniors next season. For the past several years we've only had a handful, like 2-4. I wonder if we chose so many players from major junior/tier one junior by design, or if it's just how the board fell. We also drafted a lot of NA junior players last year but the three drafts before we went really heavy on European players.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not all over what's happening in North America. Are all the Jnr leagues looking like they'll start roughly on-time and are aiming to get a full season in?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We have eight players projected to be playing in North American juniors next season. For the past several years we've only had a handful, like 2-4. I wonder if we chose so many players from major junior/tier one junior by design, or if it's just how the board fell. We also drafted a lot of NA junior players last year but the three drafts before we went really heavy on European players.

The 2018 off-season was the turnaround. Hiring Steve Konowalchuk to be in charge of WHL scouting, and later on hiring Chris Morehouse as director of NA scouting is what set this shift in motion. It wasn't so much the Rangers gravitating towards European prospects, but more them staying away from Canadian juniors due to bad experiences and, in my opinion, a lack of faith in that part of the scouting department.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The 2018 off-season was the turnaround. Hiring Steve Konowalchuk to be in charge of WHL scouting, and later on hiring Chris Morehouse as director of NA scouting is what set this shift in motion. It wasn't so much the Rangers gravitating towards European prospects, but more them staying away from Canadian juniors due to bad experiences and, in my opinion, a lack of faith in that part of the scouting department.

Konowalchuk was only an amateur scout for 1 season, then moved to a pro scout and now is out of the organization as head coach of Red Deer (where Grubbe plays)....it felt like such a huge change to bring him in to improve the scouting of western canada, but it ended up being a surprisingly short lived thing.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Konowalchuk was only an amateur scout for 1 season, then moved to a pro scout and now is out of the organization as head coach of Red Deer (where Grubbe plays)....it felt like such a huge change to bring him in to improve the scouting of western canada, but it ended up being a surprisingly short lived thing.

Yes, while short-lived it put things in motion.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Two prospect nuggets from this morning's Rick Carpinello column in the Athletic.

1. Concerning development camp, he noted that Jason Grubbe should be ready to go in September with prospects camp early in that month and rookie camp on September 15. So it seems that everything will be in September which is consistent with the likelihood that the junior Rangers are not going to Traverse City.

2. He quotes Drury as saying he will qualify most of his RFAs by the Monday deadline. He says that all of the Ranger RFAs will be qualified but speculated some of the minor leaguers like Gettinger and Ronning may not. Perhaps he has some inside information but if he is just pissing in the wind he missed that the Rangers won't qualify Crawley and may not qualify Newell and Fontaine. The two Hartford RFAs most likely to be qualified are Gettinger and Ronning. Those of us who watched Hartford games this year would agree that Ronning, after they started playing him, and Gettinger, in the second half of the season, were two of Hartford's most impactful players.

It's usually end of June. AFAIK they haven't announced one for this year yet.

Quinn Coin

Dec 28, 2010
New York

I see that you frequently give credit to Konowalchuk, but Kim Gellert is more responsible for the shift in WHL scouting. Konowalchuk spent two of the last three seasons as a pro scout whereas the WHL has been under Gellert's purview.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I see that you frequently give credit to Konowalchuk, but Kim Gellert is more responsible for the shift in WHL scouting. Konowalchuk spent two of the last three seasons as a pro scout whereas the WHL has been under Gellert's purview.

I'm not saying it was all Konowalchuk, but the first draft after he was hired, we drafted high again from the WHL, and then 3 WHL kids in the next 2 drafts each.

The hiring of him set things in motion, carried on by Davidson's son-in-law who was hired to be the director of NA scouting in 2019.

Quinn Coin

Dec 28, 2010
New York
I'm not saying it was all Konowalchuk, but the first draft after he was hired, we drafted high again from the WHL, and then 3 WHL kids in the next 2 drafts each.

The hiring of him set things in motion, carried on by Davidson's son-in-law who was hired to be the director of NA scouting in 2019.

I feel as though that's giving a lot of credit to the person who held that scouting position for one season, as opposed to the one who's been there consistently since 2016-17.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...2. He quotes Drury as saying he will qualify most of his RFAs by the Monday deadline. He says that all of the Ranger RFAs will be qualified but speculated some of the minor leaguers like Gettinger and Ronning may not. Perhaps he has some inside information but if he is just pissing in the wind he missed that the Rangers won't qualify Crawley and may not qualify Newell and Fontaine. The two Hartford RFAs most likely to be qualified are Gettinger and Ronning. Those of us who watched Hartford games this year would agree that Ronning, after they started playing him, and Gettinger, in the second half of the season, were two of Hartford's most impactful players.

No big surprises

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Happy to see Ronning earn himself a qualifying offer after his “breakout” pro season last year. Will likely never make the NHL but rooting for him to have good pro career somewhere.

Ditto! It was a nice relief to see Ronning given a QO. He was our best forward at the end of the of last season. I want to see him given a shot. He figured out the proper playing style and I think he could carve out a role in the NHL at some point. I hope Gallant gives him a game or two in preseason.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I would try to bring Newell back on an AHL deal.

yeah coach KK gave him all-situation minutes last season

as a California kid who played NCAA in MN,
he may have other geographic preferences,
but the easier NE travel, and a coach who knows/trusts you, also appealing

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ditto! It was a nice relief to see Ronning given a QO. He was our best forward at the end of the of last season. I want to see him given a shot. He figured out the proper playing style and I think he could carve out a role in the NHL at some point. I hope Gallant gives him a game or two in preseason.
Interesting. Hasn’t thought of that but absolutely he should get a shot. If nothing else he should be called up in case of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad