Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pretty much the only reason Rykov had a tough go here is the early high ankle sprain. Thats literally it. He has all the tools.
Unless it really did dramatically affect him after he came back, IDK. Once he was back, even ~20 games in, he still made plenty of mistakes with the puck on his stick and in his coverage. He also didn't look as fast as he did in the KHL. He didn't look like he was struggling to move, but he just wasn't getting around as quickly. Could be the ankle, could be the sometimes-deceiving difference between leagues.

The mistakes weren't surprising for a rookie, but he came over as a "ready" player and didn't look at all ready to me. That's not to say he can't be a good NHL player, but I'm way less sure of it than I was coming into the season (though I was not as high on him as others). To compare him to a countryman that we never really got to know, I think Bereglazov looked better in his brief time in Hartford than Rykov did at any point.

It could be the ankle, though. It's a shame, too, because if he does use the EAC, he'll be RFA at the end of 20-21 without any NHL experience, at age 24, and I would guess he'd be more inclined to stay in Russia where he is established as a very good player, rather than fight to make the NHL team. Just my speculation, though. Who knows.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
His scouting reports were real solid. I hope they tell him what he should know. There is a least one spot wide open on the left side. Really should be two. I respect Staal but it's time to move on. He's not part of the rebuild here. I'm sure he's good with the kids but Lindgren and Fox are mature beyond their years. DeAngelo has matured a lot. Trouba is a vet now. I'd like to see both Hajek and Rykov make the team next season. Those guys are more stay at home d guys which should make it a little easier to break in. They really don't have to pinch or join the rush with all the guys we have on d that can do that.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
don't remember if this was mentioned but the red wings cancelled traverse city for this year...not unexpected but it was made official the other day

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
per Stevenson today, apparently Rykov not invited to July camp, Reunanen neither

not there and not invited aren't the same though...camps don't open till the 13th and zibanejad wasn't there either a day ago. It would not surprise me if they aren't (disappointed but not surprised) but I'm not sure this tweet confirms anything yet.

Reactions: UnSandvich

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
not there and not invited aren't the same though...camps don't open till the 13th and zibanejad wasn't there either a day ago. It would not surprise me if they aren't (disappointed but not surprised) but I'm not sure this tweet confirms anything yet.
yeah, i was drawing an unconfirmed, maybe premature, conclusion, from the chatter that all the Euros had arrived ..

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m not sure anyone knows exactly who’s been invited who turned down invites and who’s on the final roster. We will know that last part soon enough but other than lias Anderbust saying no we don’t know otherwise

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I’m not sure anyone knows exactly who’s been invited who turned down invites and who’s on the final roster. We will know that last part soon enough but other than lias Anderbust saying no we don’t know otherwise
Lias Bustersson would've rolled off the tongue nice

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Cornell will not be playing hockey for a little while, and if they do, it'll probably be a shortened season or some kind of inter-conference schedule

Morgan Barron has to decide if he wants to turn pro or wait it out. Hopefully they get him under contract and have him play somewhere. Not sure NCAA hockey is going to be the best place to develop under these circumstances.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Cornell will not be playing hockey for a little while, and if they do, it'll probably be a shortened season or some kind of inter-conference schedule

Morgan Barron has to decide if he wants to turn pro or wait it out. Hopefully they get him under contract and have him play somewhere. Not sure NCAA hockey is going to be the best place to develop under these circumstances.

Hopefully he loaded up with online credits this summer and is doing the same for the fall so he can graduate by the time Rangers camp starts in November.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

to be fair we still have no clue what the AHL will look like so its possible that he and others will have no where to play until dec/jan

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That’s some mighty fine insight there.

You really think McKegg is better?

I think the jump from college to the NHL is bigger than you think for a guy like Barron. I'm not saying he can't make the jump but I am hesitatnt os ay he would be better than what we have now straight out of camp

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I think the jump from college to the NHL is bigger than you think for a guy like Barron. I'm not saying he can't make the jump but I am hesitant to say he would be better than what we have now straight out of camp

Hayes and Stepan did it, but they were exceptions.
McD went down for a few months, so did Hags, Skjie for a year
I'd like to see Barron in Hartford playing more minutes and situations.
They already may have compromised the development of Howden and Lias by not following step-wise ramp-up as a pro

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hayes and Stepan did it, but they were exceptions.
McD went down for a few months, so did Hags, Skjie for a year
I'd like to see Barron in Hartford playing more minutes and situations.
They already may have compromised the development of Howden and Lias by not following step-wise ramp-up as a pro

Yeah. Hayes and Vesey did it after a full 4 years in college.

Stepan is definitely an exception after year 2.

PS: I sent you a DM.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Im not really eager to continually take prospects with some upside and bury them on the 4th line getting 10 minutes a game. If we're talking about prospects in the mold of Gettinger, Fontaine, Edstrom who might not have much upside but can fill a useful role than sure but a kid like Barron, no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->