Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #2; Updated 10.7.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If you read the point I was making was that teams don't cut draft picks lose after 1 year unless it's something unusual. After 2 years they start to get a good idea of what they have. I didn't think Gross deserved to be let go. However, the organization is flush with talented d prospects so he was.

Ah, got you.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
looked like an intriguing prospect, but of course they dumped him to ECHL instead of trying to develop him.

Yeah. 4 points in 5 AHL games. Let's send him to the ECHL and play washed up older guys. SMH. I don't know. Maybe his defense was atrocious. I like the coach down there and I would trust him. So, I guess there was a point to it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
looked like an intriguing prospect, but of course they dumped him to ECHL instead of trying to develop him.
They didn't "dump" him into the ECHL. The had him in Hartford camp and he didn't do well or win a spot, so they sent him to Maine where he would have a bigger role. He didn't even do particularly well in Maine.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They didn't "dump" him into the ECHL. The had him in Hartford camp and he didn't do well or win a spot, so they sent him to Maine where he would have a bigger role. He didn't even do particularly well in Maine.

I also don't consider an undrafted player who did relatively well in juniors by playing with a top-10 pick an "intriguing prospect". He's basically Ryan Gropp, without the draft pedigree. He was always a long-shot.

Reactions: The Sweetness

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
i look at Elmer's ECHL season a s a stepping stone,
will it bring him into camp more ready to compete for a impact role in Hartford next season?
we'll see

very deep pipeline among the 'wait and see' forwards,
in my mind all young-ish HWP F's behind Krav and Getts (Fontaine? Barron?)
from Ronning and Gropp, to Elmer & Newell, to Richards, Rueschhoff, and Khodorenko,
to AHL signees O'Leary and Whelan, and possibly if re-upped some of Jones, Dmowski, McBride

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Considering the amount of time for him to achieve liftoff in junior and his subsequent work, it’s a lot of investment for a guy who would be lucky to become a middle 6 in Hartford.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I made the same point when someone complained about Ronning. Hartford really needed offensive help. They have for the past few season. They're not giving time to guys like Lewis Zerter-Gossage, Shawn McBride, Ryan Dmowski, Patrick Newell, and the like just for fun. If they thought that Elmer was ready to contribute offensively in Hartford, then they'd have him up. They're trying to both build a winner in Hartford as well as develop players, which means that they will give you a chance to develop your game if you can at least make some minimum contribution. If you can't contribute, it's tough to justify having you around.

(FWIW, I though Newell and Dmowski did ok. LZG and McBride we okay as well. They could contribute if they weren't scoring.)

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I made the same point when someone complained about Ronning. Hartford really needed offensive help. They have for the past few season. They're not giving time to guys like Lewis Zerter-Gossage, Shawn McBride, Ryan Dmowski, Patrick Newell, and the like just for fun. If they thought that Elmer was ready to contribute offensively in Hartford, then they'd have him up. They're trying to both build a winner in Hartford as well as develop players, which means that they will give you a chance to develop your game if you can at least make some minimum contribution. If you can't contribute, it's tough to justify having you around.

(FWIW, I though Newell and Dmowski did ok. LZG and McBride we okay as well. They could contribute if they weren't scoring.)

Newell looked to have the most offense out of all the HWP this year. Thought he was able to garner a bunch of good chances, yet not potting them home. I would love to see how next season makes out for him.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In the 30 years I've been watching hockey from a young kid to today, the level of competition at ALL levels of hockey has gotten so much more intense. Lots of very good hockey players making 700 dollars a week in the ECHL or mid-tier European leagues.

It would be nice to see those games be able to generate a little bit better revenue and quality of life for players, such that hockey be able to become a truly localized sport like soccer is in Europe, with lower tier leagues still having diehard fans and career-long players.

Nowadays even AHL level guys often quit before 30 for more stable jobs. It's good quality hockey! Just would like to see actual "Local fans" of HWP and Maine more often. I get that Portland just lost their AHL team and so it's a transition, but still.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
In the 30 years I've been watching hockey from a young kid to today, the level of competition at ALL levels of hockey has gotten so much more intense. Lots of very good hockey players making 700 dollars a week in the ECHL or mid-tier European leagues.

It would be nice to see those games be able to generate a little bit better revenue and quality of life for players, such that hockey be able to become a truly localized sport like soccer is in Europe, with lower tier leagues still having diehard fans and career-long players.

Nowadays even AHL level guys often quit before 30 for more stable jobs. It's good quality hockey! Just would like to see actual "Local fans" of HWP and Maine more often. I get that Portland just lost their AHL team and so it's a transition, but still.
Great point. If I were a Whalers fan back in the day (God forbid, sorry, Matt) I'd like to think I could be a HWP fan. And the culture that surrounds minor league baseball teams really doesn't seem to have crossed over to AHL and ECHL teams, as far as I understand. It's too bad. I'm sure they're great entertainment.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I expect Barron to easily make the big club. At worst, he will easily become one of the best 4th liners in the league and a top PK guy. He's too big, smart and skilled not to have some impact. Our 4th line has been a disaster for years. I remember the Boyle 4th line won us some regular season and playoff games. It's important. Fast was a good Ranger but you can't pay him what he will ask. He should be moved. Maybe to dump one year of Smith's or Staal's salary. I see a 4th line of Barron-Howden-Lemieux and that can be the best 4th line in hockey. It's a good fit for Lemieux. Both Barron and Howden are extremely smart and disciplined players while Lemieux is stupid and has been targeted by the refs to some degree. However, he has intangibles that this team needs. That could easily also be a third line in games they are feeling it once all those guys mature a little.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I expect Barron to easily make the big club. At worst, he will easily become one of the best 4th liners in the league and a top PK guy. He's too big, smart and skilled not to have some impact. Our 4th line has been a disaster for years. I remember the Boyle 4th line won us some regular season and playoff games. It's important. Fast was a good Ranger but you can't pay him what he will ask. He should be moved. Maybe to dump one year of Smith's or Staal's salary. I see a 4th line of Barron-Howden-Lemieux and that can be the best 4th line in hockey. It's a good fit for Lemieux. Both Barron and Howden are extremely smart and disciplined players while Lemieux is stupid and has been targeted by the refs to some degree. However, he has intangibles that this team needs. That could easily also be a third line in games they are feeling it once all those guys mature a little.
At worst being the best 4th liner is a pretty high floor imo, thats quite an accomplishment. I think at worst he’s a 4th liner on our team but idk how he fares against every 4th liner in the league. I think he rounds out as a great 3rd liner for us. Down the line if we have someone like Lundell on the 2nd line then we’re looking at a 3rd line of Barron-Chytil-Gauthier which would be incredibly fun.

Reactions: 426ers and egelband

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
What's the deal with Rykov? Did he go back to Russia? Kid was hurt all the time last year and his season was a disaster. Was expecting some good things from him. There is a ton of opportunity on the left side here. Time to move on from Staal. Smith is horrible. Neither can be on the roster next season. So basically it's Lindgren. Hajek pretty much has to come through. Miller and Robertson are nowhere near ready.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What's the deal with Rykov? Did he go back to Russia? Kid was hurt all the time last year and his season was a disaster. Was expecting some good things from him. There is a ton of opportunity on the left side here. Time to move on from Staal. Smith is horrible. Neither can be on the roster next season. So basically it's Lindgren. Hajek pretty much has to come through. Miller and Robertson are nowhere near ready.

- Staal and Smith will be on the roster unless they retire or get bought out.
- Rykov has an EAC for this upcoming season. With the KHL season probably starting long before the NHL season is over, I am convinced he will exercise that clause to play hockey. It's better than sitting at home for months
- Hajek and Reunanen are the most likely to earn a spot to replace Skjei (not in minutes, just the spot vacated by him). Hajek has the NHL experience giving him the edge.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am sure Rykov will use his EAC. Which, from the Rangers' perspective, is unfortunate, as I'm not sure he'll want to come back over for the 21-22 season when he can likely continue to establish himself as one of the better defensemen in the KHL.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
They definitely should bring him back for that, and give him every chance to make the roster. He's better than at least a third of our D core at the moment

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Scouting reports were really solid on him. Pretty much all said he will never be a top d guy but will be a guy playing next to them. We need 2 or 3 more physical, stay at home d guys with some size to keep the puck out of our net. At worst, if he plays 2 years for the big club, holds his own, he will have trade value when and if Miller or Robertson are ready.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He didn't look ready for the NHL least season, either before or after he was hurt.

He's under contract and will get an invite but I wouldn't expect him to come set the joint on fire.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he uses his EAC, and starts the KHL season on time, he won't be able to join because Rangers camp would be mid-season
It will be interesting. The EAC's often are tied to whether a player is on the NHL roster to start the season, or is on the NHL roster by a certain date. If either is present in Rykov's EAC he wouldn't be able to exercise it to start the KHL season.

IDK how it would work. Like if the EAC allows for him to leave if he's not on the NHL roster by November 1, but the season hasn't started by November 1, what will happen?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
If he uses his EAC, and starts the KHL season on time, he won't be able to join because Rangers camp would be mid-season

i was referring to the camp in ~12 days for the completion of the incomplete current season

if he is not here for that, (or it does not go well)
[ and he is not restricted by conditions cited by NYR2K2 just above ]
i could see him choosing to play KHL '20-21,
he would be RFA summer '21, by then hopefully conditions for NHL '21-22 season are back to typical
(... and NYR LHD depth chart will be revamped, with Staal and Smith deals expired, Miller and Reunanen with a NA pro season to their credit, Roberston graduating ...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I don't think that was referencing training camp but 'return to play' camp on July 10ish...I'd expect that Rykov will be invited and also part of the 30 players that they take to the hub city. In that cause, if the extremely unlikely event that the rangers are still playing when the KHL training camps open what does he do then? I guess that would depend on whether he is actually playing or not.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't think that was referencing training camp but 'return to play' camp on July 10ish...I'd expect that Rykov will be invited and also part of the 30 players that they take to the hub city. In that cause, if the extremely unlikely event that the rangers are still playing when the KHL training camps open what does he do then? I guess that would depend on whether he is actually playing or not.

Ah, gotcha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->