Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Not sure he's ready for the NHL just yet, but he's certainly ready to go pro.

This past season has proven to me that the NHL should revise the CHL agreement to at least make an exemption for 1st round picks

Absolutely. I meant 'will he be ready faster than Lindgren' out of pure curiosity, not even necessarily 'hope'.

I really agree with you on the rules as kids have really taken advantage of the less brutality going on in the league.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not sure he's ready for the NHL just yet, but he's certainly ready to go pro.

This past season has proven to me that the NHL should revise the CHL agreement to at least make an exemption for 1st round picks

I can't see any reason why the CHL would agree to that, barring some sort of compensation, and even then there would likely be more of a limit to it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
part of the problem with trying to change that deal is that you are often looking at the exception for the player that should be able to move up....the majority of the prospects need to be there for the 2 years and the nhl is relying on those teams to develop players for them.

there are exceptions when its not perfect but overall the relationship works pretty well

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In the Dub, Robertson has an assist, Schneider has a SH assist, and Garand has stopped all 12 shots through 2. Work and school night so I can't stay up for the conclusions. :laugh:

Pajuniemi had an assist.
Garand did get the shutout last night, by the way. Two in five games. In that time he has stopped 137/144 which is good for a .951 SV% and 1.40 GAA.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I can't see any reason why the CHL would agree to that, barring some sort of compensation, and even then there would likely be more of a limit to it.

Compensation is not a bad idea. There’s a precedent with some Euro leagues and $300K would be pretty reasonable on one end and we’ll appreciated on the other!

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
It would come at a price of course. Additional compensation would be key.

part of the problem with trying to change that deal is that you are often looking at the exception for the player that should be able to move up....the majority of the prospects need to be there for the 2 years and the nhl is relying on those teams to develop players for them.
there are exceptions when its not perfect but overall the relationship works pretty well

changes are called for, the landscape has change, due to many factors, including the immediate impact of some younger players, the greater readiness of more younger players, and the improvements in scouting, and on and on

one change i think should be considered, not just re CHL but re the Entry Draft,
is limiting 1st-year eligible players to only be available thru the 4th, or maybe 5th round.
These days, a kid who showed a scout 1 good game, might be deemed worth reeling in with a late pick gamble
This would force team to make some tougher choices, and maybe get more qualified kids drafted.
I think any resistance would fade quickly

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think some of fans have PTSD when it comes to that pick and rightfully so. But it’s definitely unwarranted when it’s comes to both KAM and Schneider. From the what I’ve seen from both.

Miller to me was much more like the Kreider pick. Both physical specimens with great tools and questionable toolboxes, Kreider because he was dominating high school kids and Miller because he was new to the position.

Schneider is closer to the McI pick, except that Schneider is a much better skater. His performance in the WJC quickly erased any doubts about his potential.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Thankfully Schneider has more offensive awareness in his pinky than McIlrath did in his entire body. But yeah, I can see the comparison - both big bruiser types.

As much shit as we give the Rangers for that pick, I don't think anyone expected the dude to be a finished product when we drafted him. He literally made no strides. And the injuries certainly didn't help matters

Reactions: Cmox

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Miller to me was much more like the Kreider pick. Both physical specimens with great tools and questionable toolboxes, Kreider because he was dominating high school kids and Miller because he was new to the position.

Schneider is closer to the McI pick, except that Schneider is a much better skater. His performance in the WJC quickly erased any doubts about his potential.

McI doesn’t work for me. Schneider has been A LOT more polished in every aspect of his game leading into the draft and therefore less of a projection and hope that some of his attributes (like skating and mobility for McI) will catch-up to the rest of his game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thankfully Schneider has more offensive awareness in his pinky than McIlrath did in his entire body. But yeah, I can see the comparison - both big bruiser types.

As much shit as we give the Rangers for that pick, I don't think anyone expected the dude to be a finished product when we drafted him. He literally made no strides. And the injuries certainly didn't help matters

Can’t say that his game didn’t develop (it’s a pretty big exaggeration) but he was fighting an uphill battle as the game has changed and, yeah, injuries certainly didn’t help.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

This has to be the single most challenging thing when scouting and drafting. Whether it be Yakupov or McIlrath, most players are not good enough for the NHL if they don't develop after age 18.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
My PTSD comes from AV ruining him. Dylan's one window of opportunity was with Yandle and they looked -really good- together. His window opened and closed in like 4 games.

please tell me I have that timeline correct. It is buried in there ya know :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This has to be the single most challenging thing when scouting and drafting. Whether it be Yakupov or McIlrath, most players are not good enough for the NHL if they don't develop after age 18.
Yeah, it's so hard with hockey prospects. It's like baseball prospects. You're evaluating teenagers that are potentially years or more away. You're making projections about their development, when in reality a lot of guys do hit their peak in their late teens, or at 20-22. It seems crazy to think of, but outside of getting stronger, or making strides with their skating, lots of guys never really improve in their ability to play after the age of 20. The CHL is littered with guys who have their best statistical season at age 17 or whatever and just never improve.

Doesn't always mean they'll fail. Someone like Del Zotto, his best hockey was played in his very early twenties. His game didn't have another level, though. I mean props to him for figuring out how to maximize his otherwise stagnated skills and turn in a pretty solid career, but he's one of those guys who just peaked really early. Some guys unfortunately peak at like 19-20 and never make it, though.

Reactions: egelband and cwede
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad