Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not sure why some guys can't figure that out that if they played a heavier game like in Howden and Gautheir and Gettinger too that they would be regular Rangers rather quickly and could build a nice nest egg for themselves . Plus all three have enough talent to possibly even elevate their game enough for a lot of clubs to be good 3rd line guys once they forget about being perimiter type guys and never will lead the NHL in goals . The little things will get them and keep them in the big leagues . Now they need to do what has to be done to be big leaguer and maybe it will involve being in a scrap every now and then .

Agree with all this. This is basically what a Blake Coleman did with the Devils—turned himself into an effective player and ended up in Tampa winning a Cup. I think it’s tough for some to take themselves out of their comforts zones and not passing up hits eventually you run into those who really don’t like it. It’s a big step for some but if you do like Coleman did you end up making millions a year instead of $75K.

Reactions: leetch99

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's tough to turn yourself into someone who seeks contact and physical play if that's not really your mentality. Some guys are just averse to banging into people on every shift. It's not because they're soft or anything, it's just how they're wired. I mean you can even see it in the NFL, you have RBs or WRs who really like contact, who finish every play by trying to knock down a defender, and then you see guys who go to ground or run out of bounds to finish every play. Some guys are just born to smash into other people and some guys aren't, regardless of size or anything.

That's not to say guys can't transform themselves, but someone like Gettinger, despite being huge he's not suddenly going to become some super aggressive brute. He's never been that. You see the same with K'Andre Miller--people see the size and strength and want him to play more physically, but that's just never really been his game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's tough to turn yourself into someone who seeks contact and physical play if that's not really your mentality. Some guys are just averse to banging into people on every shift. It's not because they're soft or anything, it's just how they're wired. I mean you can even see it in the NFL, you have RBs or WRs who really like contact, who finish every play by trying to knock down a defender, and then you see guys who go to ground or run out of bounds to finish every play. Some guys are just born to smash into other people and some guys aren't, regardless of size or anything.

That's not to say guys can't transform themselves, but someone like Gettinger, despite being huge he's not suddenly going to become some super aggressive brute. He's never been that. You see the same with K'Andre Miller--people see the size and strength and want him to play more physically, but that's just never really been his game.

That tends to happen more often than not for sure. Gettinger was a very good OHL player without needing to do all that—it’s not been his DNA. He can survive as a minor leaguer for a while on the corse he’s on. His chances of becoming a legit NHL player are not very good though unless he shows more. It’s a realization he’ll make or not make but making those kind of changes are the only real road to success for him.

Reactions: leetch99 and nyr2k2

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
For Gettinger to become a NHL 4th liner he needs to be an elite cycler. We saw some of it in his cups of coffee. He needs to get slightly quicker and continue to work on core strength.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
The NYR LAK main board threads have been a trainwreck, so I wouldn't look there for inspiration.

What about Carolina? Rangers have a pretty extensive trade history with them, they may lose Hamilton to FA, they have way more exciting forward prospects than D prospects and they have Jarvis, Suzuki, Drury and Rees who could all project as centers (Rees probably less so).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers going to have a tough decision to make Nils and Schneider. Its a great problem to have but still something sooner or later they will need to figure out, unless they do something likem ship Trouba out of here which would be a bit shocking.

I don't consider this a problem. Play whoever is ready, send the other guy to Hartford. They're on ELCs for 3 years. It's a problem for 2024.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

IMO it’s more applicable to close to or fully developed players (not only physically) and obviously there are degrees to physically. Look at Buch now. We joke about him becoming American Buch but his a lot more physical than most of us could have anticipated two years ago, let alone in his first season in NA.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah. Both his ELC and Trouba's NMC expire in 2024.

We often see dissonance between contracts and play considerations when a roster / lineup is put together. In this instance it’s possible that 4 RD will be equally deserving to get more or less equal time of 5x5 minutes in 23-24 season

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hey Guys thought I would give you my update on Schnieder play this year. For those of you that don't know me I am long time Wheat King and fan nowadays. I watched pretty much every game this year on WHL live

You guys know what he is and that is the best defenceman in the WHL this year. He is big,strong and skilled and does it all. Plays a ton of minutes ES,PP and SH. As I am writing this and watching the Wheaties take down the Pats he has 3 point night with 2 PP assists and 1 SH assist.

You are getting a pro ready prospect here and I think he needs a seasoning of the AHL to get used to playing against men. He is such a big strong guy he just has his way in Junior right now and some of the things he is used to just might not work against your big pros.

I am envious because I wanted him on my Jets and you guys are about to have a tremendous back end for years to come

I am also sad because this season was cut short for the Wheaties and you would have had the chance to see them make a long run in the playoffs and a likely conference final clash with the Oil Kings and another prospect of yours who is great btw Robertson. Its too bad because this Wheat King team had the makings of a great one and for a small town like Brandon it means a lot to us

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Guys thought I would give you my update on Schnieder play this year. For those of you that don't know me I am long time Wheat King and fan nowadays. I watched pretty much every game this year on WHL live

You guys know what he is and that is the best defenceman in the WHL this year. He is big,strong and skilled and does it all. Plays a ton of minutes ES,PP and SH. As I am writing this and watching the Wheaties take down the Pats he has 3 point night with 2 PP assists and 1 SH assist.

You are getting a pro ready prospect here and I think he needs a seasoning of the AHL to get used to playing against men. He is such a big strong guy he just has his way in Junior right now and some of the things he is used to just might not work against your big pros.

I am envious because I wanted him on my Jets and you guys are about to have a tremendous back end for years to come

I am also sad because this season was cut short for the Wheaties and you would have had the chance to see them make a long run in the playoffs and a likely conference final clash with the Oil Kings and another prospect of yours who is great btw Robertson. Its too bad because this Wheat King team had the makings of a great one and for a small town like Brandon it means a lot to us

Thanks, much appreciated! What do you see as his offensive upside in the NHL?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Am I reading this all wrong or does (so far) Schneider sound like a bigger, better and ready to play NHL minutes faster version of Lindgren?

Good grief.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Am I reading this all wrong or does (so far) Schneider sound like a bigger, better and ready to play NHL minutes faster version of Lindgren?

Good grief.

Not sure he's ready for the NHL just yet, but he's certainly ready to go pro.

This past season has proven to me that the NHL should revise the CHL agreement to at least make an exemption for 1st round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->