Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm talking about at the draft, not what they've done since.

If I was given a choice of either one in their draft year, I would have taken Garand.

Lindbom only had a strong international record to his credit, while Garand was expected to be one of the top goalies in the WHL in his D+1 season.
Lindbum was the first goalie off the board his draft year and I don't think it was terribly controversial. If I were to have picked one of the goalies, it would have been Skarek as I've said a few times, but Lindbom going first wasn't a huge surprise. I think most rankings had him as one of the top three or four guys at the position, and with goalies it's kind of a guessing game as to when they'll go. IIRC the consensus was that they were more like third-round guys, and the Rangers reached a bit for the one they liked best. Lindbum as the first off the board wasn't a huge surprise, it was more when he was taken (and maybe by whom).

Beside Askarov, there were other guys like Commesso, Daws, Blowqvist, Bednar and a few others that were usually ahead of Garand. He was more in the 5-7 range of ranked goalies in his draft, though his draft was also better.

Though I will say, looking across drafts, Garand at 103 is a dramatically better value than Lindbum at 39, IMO, even if you really liked Lindbum that year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think his ceiling is Brad Marchand, either. I mean, I LOVE Berard and have from before we drafted him, but there's no reasonable reality where he becomes one of the best players in the game on an annual basis. It's just not realistic. When we talk about ceiling it still should be grounded in reality.
I would say that a Gallagher 2.0 is a much more realistic ceiling.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is he anyone we should still be concerned about?
He's still 20 for another five months, he's a goalie, and goalies have a propensity to develop late or make unexpected development gains. That's literally it, though--we're just going to hope he's one of those weird late-blooming goalies. It's been a few years since he has really done anything positive.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's still 20 for another five months, he's a goalie, and goalies have a propensity to develop late or make unexpected development gains. That's literally it, though--we're just going to hope he's one of those weird late-blooming goalies. It's been a few years since he has really done anything positive.

I actually meant the opposite. He doesn't seem to be promising and goalie is not D where there are 6 sports. We have Shesty and Georgiev, we have other goalie prospects. Why care about him considering he seems like a bust and had an outside chance of doing anything with the Rangers anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I actually meant the opposite. He doesn't seem to be promising but goalie is not D where there are 6 sports. We have Shesty and Georgiev, we have other goalie prospects. Why care about him considering he seems like a bust and had an outside chance of doing anything with the Rangers anyway?
Oh, from that perspective, no, probably not. He's just a guy you kind of forget about and check in on every once in a while to see if anything is happening. Otherwise, he's largely irrelevant.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Apologies if previously discussed, but just today I listened to this past Wednesday's episode of the Up In The Blue Seats (Ron Duguay / Mollie Walker) podcast where they interviewed Zac Jones... Ron asked him where he is regarding his anticipation of playing in the NHL and for the NY Rangres 'next year', and Zac responded by saying:

"Honestly, I want to come back next year (NCAA, junior year). I don't think I'm ready to play pro hockey yet, I don't think my body is mature enough, I don't think I'm big enough for it yet...And I think that extra year of college next year and this year, and a big summer this year will help me, hopefully being able to sign after my junior year... But if that doesn't happen, and I'm here for four years, so be it... I want to play pro hockey when I'm ready to play, and I want to dominate at this level (NCAA) and then move on to the next."

Ron asked him to describe himself as a player:

"I'm an offensive defenseman... I mean, I'm great at the blueline, I think I have really good vision... I'm working on my defensive game a lot. That was the biggest knock on me coming into my draft year, that I wasn't very good defensively - and I think I've proved a lot of people wrong in that factor where I'm turning into more of a two-way defenseman now and I can play penalty kill and be out there against guys top lines... I think that's something that I've tried to get better at and I think it's shown for sure."

Ron asked him if he can play both sides of the ice on defense:

"All the way until probably my sophomore year of high school I was playing on the right side. My team in Richmond only had 5 defensemen so we had to run 5 D, so I'd always be playing Left, Right, either side - so I just got used to playing both"

Last edited:

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
Apologies if previously discussed, but just today I listened to this past Wednesday's episode of the Up In The Blue Seats (Ron Duguay / Mollie Walker) podcast where they interviewed Zac Jones... Ron asked him where he is regarding his anticipation of playing in the NHL and for the NY Rangres 'next year', and Zac responded by saying:

"Honestly, I want to come back next year (NCAA, junior year). I don't think I'm ready to play pro hockey yet, I don't think my body is mature enough, I don't think I'm big enough for it yet...And I think that extra year of college next year and this year, and a big summer this year will help me, hopefully being able to sign after my junior year... But if that doesn't happen, and I'm here for four years, so be it... I want to play pro hockey when I'm ready to play, and I want to dominate at this level (NCAA) and then move on to the next."

Ron asked him to describe himself as a player:

"I'm an offensive defenseman... I mean, I'm great at the blueline, I think I have really good vision... I'm working on my defensive game a lot. That was the biggest knock on me coming into my draft year, that I wasn't very good defensively - and I think I've proved a lot of people wrong in that factor where I'm turning into more of a two-way defenseman now and I can play penalty kill and be out there against guys top lines... I think that's something that I've tried to get better at and I think it's shown for sure."

Ron asked him if he can play both sides of the ice on defense:

"All the way until probably my sophomore year of high school I was playing on the right side. My team in Richmond only had 5 defensemen so we had to run 5 D, so I'd always be playing Left, Right, either side - so I just got used to playing both"

I heard that. This statement has me worried.

But if that doesn't happen, and I'm here for four years, so be it... I want to play pro hockey when I'm ready to play, and I want to dominate at this level (NCAA) and then move on to the next."

You know what happens when they play four years. free agent.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If we are lucky enough to get a Callahan 2.0 out of a 5th round pick, that's a f***ing homerun draft pick.

I doubt he reaches Callahan level production or importance on the ice overall.

Hope to hell that he does, but not expecting it.

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we are lucky enough to get a Callahan 2.0 out of a 5th round pick, that's a f***ing homerun draft pick.

I doubt he reaches Callahan level production or importance on the ice overall.

Hope to hell that he does, but not expecting it.
I think that Callahan 2.0 or Gallgher 2.0 is the absolute ceiling. Clearly, I am not expecting that. That said, it is pretty encouraging that he took his strong WJC performance and translated it to his college year.

Reactions: pld459666

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
But if that doesn't happen, and I'm here for four years, so be it... I want to play pro hockey when I'm ready to play, and I want to dominate at this level (NCAA) and then move on to the next."

don't sweat that exceptional situation
almost all NCAA draftees do sign with their drafting,NHL-rights team, if wanted
we're just sensitive to the exceptions as
(1) they get outsized attention and
(2) recent NYR connections (Hayes, Vesey, the implied Fox threat)

Jones is an East Coast kid, NYR and their farm teams are on the East Coast
he plays college hockey in New England, NYR farm teams are in New England

also, to reach August UFA date, after NCAA eligibility expires, means declining the opportunity to turn pro in spring and be part of AHL/NHL playoff runs
Jones appreciates NYR drafting him, and has friends from prospect camp and WJC

i really think it would be incredibly unlikely he goes the August UFA path,
even with Miller, Lindgren, Robertson slightly ahead of him

my other opinion, he signs in spring'22 anyway

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

They only become free agents on August 15th. Tyler Wall played 4 full years and signed with us. So did Nieves and Fogarty.

When was the last time the Rangers had a college player reject a contract and sign elsewhere?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They only become free agents on August 15th. Tyler Wall played 4 full years and signed with us. So did Nieves and Fogarty.

When was the last time the Rangers had a college player reject a contract and sign elsewhere?

the last one of significance that I can remember is RJ Umberger. we acquired his rights at the 2004 deadline and then he signed with philly that summer...guys that we drafted, wanted to sign and couldn't? i honestly can't think of anyone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
the last one of significance that I can remember is RJ Umberger. we acquired his rights at the 2004 deadline and then he signed with philly that summer...guys that we drafted, wanted to sign and couldn't? i honestly can't think of anyone.

If anything, we are the destination, not the departure in this scenario. Hayes and Vesey the most notable examples. Gilmour (CGY) as well but I am not sure the Flames offered him a contract

Reactions: Leetch3

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009

I just remember Will Butcher, Kevin Hayes, and Hobey Baker winner, Vesey

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

i do like when it gets amusing, like when in '17
Avs draftee , d-man Butcher signed w Devils,
while Devs' draftee up-front, Kerfoot, signed w Avs...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Kerfoot is another one.

But most of the players who refused to sign to test free agency straight out of college announced to do so. Nothing indicates Jones wants to do the same

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lauri Pajuniemi did not play today as he is DTD after a slash by Miska Humaloja last Saturday against KalPa.

Hopefully know more tomorrow.

Pajuniemi's replacement was Aarne Intonen, one of Kaapo Kakko's best friends and one of the players who practiced with him over the summer. Intonen scored his first career Liiga goal in a 4-3 OT win over JYP

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lindbum with the W! Other guy sucked ass and was pulled, and Lindbum stopped 9 of 11 for the dub. :laugh:

Tärnström had a goal for his HockeyEttan team.

Ragnarsson was +1 with 2 shots in 12:30.

Aaltonen played.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
Ollas is making his debut in the SHL right now (a bit unexpected, first competitive game since October/November for him). Appears non of the regular goalies are available, since he's back up by Hugo Hävelid (2004).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad