Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm a Brett Berard Believer.

7 points in 13 games so far as an undersized freshman. Has Gaudreau at center written all over him.

JG was a PPG as a frosh (stacked team, but he pushed his way into getting significant ice time) so I'd set the expectations a bit lower. I could see him carving out a Drury type career though which would be a home run.

He should be at 8 in 13 though. He 10000% didn't get credit for an assist that he should have gotten credit for.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
JG was a PPG as a frosh (stacked team, but he pushed his way into getting significant ice time) so I'd set the expectations a bit lower. I could see him carving out a Drury type career though which would be a home run.

He should be at 8 in 13 though. He 10000% didn't get credit for an assist that he should have gotten credit for.
Fake news. Gaudreau cheated.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Zac Jones was interviewed by Molly Walker on the NYPost Rangers podcast and he said he was going back to Mass for next season and then would decide whether to turn pro after that season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pajuniemi with the ENG.

Aaltonen didn't play. He hasn't played forever, not sure if he's hurt or just sucks.

Tärnström with an assist for his HockeyEttan club.

Lundkvist, Edström, Henriksson scoreless. Henriksson only played 8 minutes.

Ciccolini with the aforementioned goal.

Hughes is scoreless. He was also -4 last night in a 4-1 loss. Ouch.

Skinner plays at 9:10.

Next Friday, Robertson will be back on the ice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
During the WJC, I saw Berard as a smaller, but faster Callahan.

Played the role on the 3rd line perfect. Forechecked and hit like he thought he was 6'2, 210 lol
I see that comp for sure but Berard has offensive upside that Callahan can only hit on playstation.

His ceiling would be a small, tenacious top line scorer. So yeah, maybe like a Drury, a Cirelli, or a less cheap Marchand.

That's ceiling of course, I want to disclaim that I'm not getting ahead of myself.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I see that comp for sure but Berard has offensive upside that Callahan can only hit on playstation.

His ceiling would be a small, tenacious top line scorer. So yeah, maybe like a Drury, a Cirelli, or a less cheap Marchand.

That's ceiling of course, I want to disclaim that I'm not getting ahead of myself.
I'm sorry, but you see Berard's ceiling as a Brad Marchand type? As in a NHL all star first liner? That seems a bit...unrealistic.

Reactions: pld459666

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's called "ceiling" not "expected outcome"
I don't think his ceiling is Brad Marchand, either. I mean, I LOVE Berard and have from before we drafted him, but there's no reasonable reality where he becomes one of the best players in the game on an annual basis. It's just not realistic. When we talk about ceiling it still should be grounded in reality.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don't think his ceiling is Brad Marchand, either. I mean, I LOVE Berard and have from before we drafted him, but there's no reasonable reality where he becomes one of the best players in the game on an annual basis. It's just not realistic. When we talk about ceiling it still should be grounded in reality.

to be fair though, brad marchand's ceiling wasn't brad marchand either when he was drafted...if anyone saw him as a 1st line guy scoring over a ppg, he would have been a 1st round pick not 3rd.

that's not to say that berard will come close to that...but if you had predicted brad would become the player he has back in 2007 people would have laughed

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

to be fair though, brad marchand's ceiling wasn't brad marchand either when he was drafted...if anyone saw him as a 1st line guy scoring over a ppg, he would have been a 1st round pick not 3rd.

that's not to say that berard will come close to that...but if you had predicted brad would become the player he has back in 2007 people would have laughed

@nyr2k2 is absolutely right that calling a ceiling like this for a 5th round draftee’s in the middle of his D+1 year is nuts - because then why not call EVERYONE’s ceiling McDavid or Hedman or Lundqvist.

This is where percentages should come in. Yeah, maybe there’s a 10%-15% chance of Marchand in Berard’s future, but it means there’s 85%-90% against.

Edit: P.S. Fully expect a gif from Dumb and Dumber in replies

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yeah, I doubt Berard ever comes close to Marchand but I feel some people often confuse ceiling with probable outcome.

Berard's most likely outcome (assuming he makes the NHL) is a bottom-6 role with the high energy motor he has. But sometimes 5th round picks defy all odds and turn into more than what they were expected to be

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, I doubt Berard ever comes close to Marchand but I feel some people often confuse ceiling with probable outcome.

Berard's most likely outcome (assuming he makes the NHL) is a bottom-6 role with the high energy motor he has. But sometimes 5th round picks defy all odds and turn into more than what they were expected to be

See, I think it’s in reverse.

Berard’s reasonable outcome is what you described if he beats the prospect odds. His ceiling in this scenario is Callahan. Marchand is almost completely out of question at this point unless we’re talking taking crazy odds against.

When I mentioned 10% chance - it’s in comparison to him being an energy bottom liner, which itself is like 5% for his draft spot - so we’re talking less than 1%.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was just thinking about Garand vs. Lindbom in their respective drafts, and realized that I just think Garand was pretty obviously a better prospect, regardless of where they were drafted.

Is that consensus thinking, or is it kind of a divisive topic?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was just thinking about Garand vs. Lindbom in their respective drafts, and realized that I just think Garand was pretty obviously a better prospect, regardless of where they were drafted.

Is that consensus thinking, or is it kind of a divisive topic?

Garand has played 1 game since he was drafted. It's a bit early to make such statements.

Lindbom has struggled a lot with injuries so if Garand can stay healthy, he has that advantage over Lindbom at least. But in terms of pure skill, it's way too early to say Garand is a better prospect

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, and this is a bit of what is facinating with hockey prospects. You can claim that Marchand is one of the absolute best forwards in the game significantly below only the absolute cannons.

Even when he was 28 y/o in 2016, I don’t think many would have labeled him as a good 1st lineer.

Reactions: Leetch3

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
See, I think it’s in reverse.

Berard’s reasonable outcome is what you described if he beats the prospect odds. His ceiling in this scenario is Callahan. Marchand is almost completely out of question at this point unless we’re talking taking crazy odds against.

When I mentioned 10% chance - it’s in comparison to him being an energy bottom liner, which itself is like 5% for his draft spot - so we’re talking less than 1%.

He's a better skater than Callahan was, so I could see a slightly higher ceiling for Berard offensively.

Although, I agree with you about the expectations.

I just love the motor on Berard. He will never be a guy benched for lack of effort.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Garand has played 1 game since he was drafted. It's a bit early to make such statements.

Lindbom has struggled a lot with injuries so if Garand can stay healthy, he has that advantage over Lindbom at least. But in terms of pure skill, it's way too early to say Garand is a better prospect

I'm talking about at the draft, not what they've done since.

If I was given a choice of either one in their draft year, I would have taken Garand.

Lindbom only had a strong international record to his credit, while Garand was expected to be one of the top goalies in the WHL in his D+1 season.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He's a better skater than Callahan was, so I could see a slightly higher ceiling for Berard offensively.

Although, I agree with you about the expectations.

I just love the motor on Berard. He will never be a guy benched for lack of effort.

Berard maybe is faster than Callahan but then the whole game is faster as well

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I get that players exceed expectations. There are obviously countless stories of that occuring (dwarfed, immensely, by those that fail to meet expectations). I'm just saying, based on what Berard has done to this point and what a reasonable player development trajectory would look like for him, he's nowhere near a Marchand-level player. Of course there's the .01% chance that he explodes and turns into one of the game's elite, but it's not realistic to consider that a ceiling for him at this time.

From a stylistic perspective, and considering Berard said he models himself after Marchand, I totally get it. I just think it's unreasonable to call that a ceiling.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Yeah, and this is a bit of what is facinating with hockey prospects. You can claim that Marchand is one of the absolute best forwards in the game significantly below only the absolute cannons.

Even when he was 28 y/o in 2016, I don’t think many would have labeled him as a good 1st lineer.

before even that, would anyone have even considered the level marchand has gotten to when he was 4-5 years into his nhl career as even a remote possibility? which began after 4 years of juniors and 1.5 in the ahl.

not to say i think berards ceiling or probability is marchand - i don't see that happening - it would be in the extreme tail of upside distribution if you will. but 1 we're not going to know for a long time and 2 there is absolutely no one who can say with authority what it is / isn't going to happen for him. its fun to talk about and project. its preferable to live in reality and know the odds right now say its reasonable to think he can become a bottom 6 nhl'er, though by no means is that guaranteed. for my money i'm bullish on his making it. but sports wouldn't be any fun if those tail scenarios never came to fruition so its fun to entertain the thought.

the marchand/cally debate is more applicable to style rather than upside for me. cally was a lunchpail energy guy with some pretty legit skill. but he wasn't about pushing the envelope - he would stand his ground for sure but not one to instigate, he stayed within the lines and just annoyed people w/ effort. in that context i definitely see more marchand than cally in berard and i love it, but by no means do i also expect that to come with 100 points a year. making it and putting up 40-50 pts a year while being one of the more hated players in the league would be fantastic value, anything more offensively is gravy.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm talking about at the draft, not what they've done since.

If I was given a choice of either one in their draft year, I would have taken Garand.

Lindbom only had a strong international record to his credit, while Garand was expected to be one of the top goalies in the WHL in his D+1 season.

It wasn't just the u18 WJC. He had a strong season at u18 level for the NT.

His numbers at club level weren't superb but going from J18A to J20SE is a big jump for a 17-year old kid.

Garand in the 4th round is better value than Lindbom in the 2nd, but mainly because I believe goalies should never be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, no matter how good they are. I wouldn't be happy with Garand at pick 60 where we drafted Cuylle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad