Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.27.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can someone who keeps an eye on Liiga tell me more about KalPa and Leevi Aaltonen. I was okay with the pick in June because I am always down for a small speedster, but he has seriously had trouble putting up points in his bottom 6 role. I am aware that he is a teen in a top5 pro league, and I am aware he had an injury. I am really asking for someone with more knowledge than me whether or not it is worrisome what he has accomplished (or hasn't) so far this season.

Your best bet is to ask @Amazing Kreiderman. That said, he did make the prelim roster for the WJC, though that's obviously no guarantee he makes the cut
IMO he's too small and weak at this point. He's listed anywhere from 150-167, and I'm betting it's closer to the former. He's a good skater with a decent shot, but against men he is just over-matched. I would be fairly surprised if he made the WJC squad, but who knows.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If I were to guess, right now, I think the Rangers would be quite comfortable with Lundkvist and Miller staying in Sweden and Wisconsin respectively for another season.

While we've already started debating which of ADA, Fox and Lundkvist is likely to remain in the organization over the long haul, the reality is that in some ways ADA and Fox being here is a pretty good thing for Lundkvist.

There's no reason to rush him. He can continue to push his game to the next level. There's not as much impatience to get him over here and into an NHL lineup, and frankly, the Rangers could use the extra time to see where all three of the young RHDs go over the next two years.
Of the two, I can actually see them preferring to get Miller into the fold before Lundkvist. The former is ready physically but needs continued coaching; the latter is pretty close to ready mentally but needs at least another year (or more) to be ready to handle the rigors of NA pro hockey.

Lundkvist simply needs to keep developing his strength and confidence, which can be better done where he won't have monsters hungry (thirsty?) :) for a cup of coffee in the NHL constantly mauling him. Miller, on the other hand, could easily slough off most AHL players, and they may well want him somewhere where a) hockey is his sole focus, and b) they can take over his coaching. (Also, there's the *slight* risk he'll go to FA if you let him get too close to the deadline.)

Definitely don't want Lundkvist coming over next year, but I'm indifferent as to whether Miller does or not – up to the Rangers whether they like the coaching he's receiving in Wisconsin.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Of the two, I can actually see them preferring to get Miller into the fold before Lundkvist. The former is ready physically but needs continued coaching; the latter is pretty close to ready mentally but needs at least another year (or more) to be ready to handle the rigors of NA pro hockey.

Lundkvist simply needs to keep developing his strength and confidence, which can be better done where he won't have monsters hungry (thirsty?) :) for a cup of coffee in the NHL constantly mauling him. Miller, on the other hand, could easily slough off most AHL players, and they may well want him somewhere where a) hockey is his sole focus, and b) they can take over his coaching. (Also, there's the *slight* risk he'll go to FA if you let him get too close to the deadline.)

Definitely don't want Lundkvist coming over next year, but I'm indifferent as to whether Miller does or not – up to the Rangers whether they like the coaching he's receiving in Wisconsin.

To this point, as of the last check-in, I was hearing they are comfortable with the coaching in Wisconsin and were leaning towards the mindset that Miller will probably be in the NCAA for three years. Could that change by the spring? Absolutely.

Another factor as the season progresses is that turnaround in Hartford. If the Rangers believe Hartford is cranking out roster options for them, they could very well go down that path. Admittedly, that would not have been as big of a factor in conversations in Oct/Nov as it will be in April.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He undoubtedly is, and ADA very well could be the one who's moved. At the end of the day, it's a hell of a "problem" to have.

The one thing I would caution with Lundkvist, is that physically I think he would struggle in the NHL right now. I think the SHL, though a tougher league than college hockey, is kind of the right place for him to be for this stage of his development.

If I had to guess, I think we're probably about a year and a half out from having to cross this road --- unless a deal comes along that the Rangers absolutely want to jump on. So the timing, for all involved, might actually work out pretty well.

I agree. There is no need to rush things. We're kind of rushing Kakko in a way but I think he can handle it. There are a lot of people who are trade happy--when I talk about DeAngelo being moved--I'm not talking this year and not even necessarily next year. All I'm saying is I see it coming down the line. Trouba is fixed and the Rangers seem to like Fox more than DeAngelo and even if......Lundkvist is not a replacement for Trouba....he's a replacement for either Fox or DeAngelo. Trouba's an all situations guy with size and a mean streak and he's needed because of the different elements to his game that aren't strengths of Fox, DeAngelo or Lundkvist.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Miller is a tricky one.

Reasons to leave college:
1 - he relies a lot on his raw physical tools at the college level to get by as opposed to hockey IQ.
2 - In the games I've watched, Wisconsin isn't especially great with their systems this year. The forwards are okay at puck support on breakouts. They're often flying the zone too early. In other words, Wisconsin's systems leave a little to be desired. In an ideal world, K'Andre would be on a college team that focuses on a more defensive system. Instead he's on a team that has a lot of youth and skill but isn't necessarily highly structured or d-focused. I guess what I'm saying is, I wish K'Andre was being coached by a modern day Jacque Lemaire. (Dale Hunter?) With someone like that, he'd have the process down come the NHL.

Reasons to stay:
1 - For one, I think he'd need at least 2 years in HFD, if not longer. His decision making and anticipation in the D zone is not quite ready for the speed of pro hockey. I worry about him not building up the confidence because he'd become fearful of making mistakes.
2 - Right now, he's paired with a true freshman as Wisconsin's 2nd pairing. He's a #3 at Wisconsin. They are being sheltered from the toughest assignments. Look at the Ciccolini goal that Miller was on for. That was Michigan's 4th line. I think, for K'Andre to take the leap to the next level, he should be facing college's best and shutting them down.
3 - Right now, if K'Andre was on the Pack Roster, I'm not sure he'd play much. I think he'd be battling with Sean Day for the 6/7. He'd likely be in Maine. Keep in mind, Sean Day is where he is because he relies on his physical tools and is pretty mediocre hockey IQ wise. We need K'Andre to be better than that. The difference of course is that K'Andre's raw skills are better than Sean Day's in every way.

Given all this, i think he ought to stay in college another year after this. Maybe pressure Wisconsin to bring in more d coaching.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can’t even keep track of all these kids who are crushing it.

Lundkvist: On pace to shatter the P/GP record by an u20 D-man in SHL
Pajuniemi: On pace to hit the highest goal total in a D+2 season in Liiga
Keane: Leading all D-men in goals in the AHL at age 20
Jones: leading all D-men in points in the NCAA as a freshman
Edström: Played all of his team's games so far in SHL as a 6th round pick
Shestyorkin: 1st in GAA, 4th in sv% in the AHL as a rookie goaltender
Barron: Top-10 in P/GP in NCAA while captaining his team
Skinner: 7th in the OHL in assists among D-men

We've come a long way from the days of Yogan, St. Croix, Werek, McColgan etc

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Really turned it up a notch this season. Looks like he fills the void left by Kakko. Has a lethal shot but I never expected him to be on pace for 20+ goals, let alone 30, at the age of 20.

He’s been shooting at around 5-6 shpg last time I looked so it’s not unsustainable conversion ratio that everyone is so afraid of.

The question will be whether he will be able to find time and space to generate scoring opportunities when he moves up to the next level, which is not something to be discounted. Look at Lettieri who used to be able to generate a lot of shots in the AHL but that completely dried up at the NHL level.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He’s been shooting at around 5-6 shpg last time I looked so it’s not unsustainable conversion ratio that everyone is so afraid of.

The question will be whether he will be able to find time and space to generate scoring opportunities when he moves up to the next level, which is not something to be discounted. Look at Lettieri who used to be able to generate a lot of shots in the AHL but that completely dried up at the NHL level.
Yeah Meskanen and Lindqvist were two guys we signed that posted big numbers based on volume shooting in high-scoring areas that weren't able to find that space in the AHL (Lindqvist may have done better had he stuck around). I'm not comparing their games or overall quality, just pointing out that with less time and space, guys can struggle. Gropp was never able to find the space in the AHL that he found in the WHL or ECHL and it sunk him as a prospect. Pajuniemi is young and has that in his corner, so we'll see.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah Meskanen and Lindqvist were two guys we signed that posted big numbers based on volume shooting in high-scoring areas that weren't able to find that space in the AHL (Lindqvist may have done better had he stuck around). I'm not comparing their games or overall quality, just pointing out that with less time and space, guys can struggle. Gropp was never able to find the space in the AHL that he found in the WHL or ECHL and it sunk him as a prospect. Pajuniemi is young and has that in his corner, so we'll see.

Yup, exactly my point to hold-off on being overly excited (and before we all start penciling him into the future lineup).

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lundkvist: On pace to shatter the P/GP record by an u20 D-man in SHL
Pajuniemi: On pace to hit the highest goal total in a D+2 season in Liiga
Keane: Leading all D-men in goals in the AHL at age 20
Jones: leading all D-men in points in the NCAA as a freshman
Edström: Played all of his team's games so far in SHL as a 6th round pick
Shestyorkin: 1st in GAA, 4th in sv% in the AHL as a rookie goaltender
Barron: Top-10 in P/GP in NCAA while captaining his team
Skinner: 7th in the OHL in assists among D-men

We've come a long way from the days of Yogan, St. Croix, Werek, McColgan etc

Yeah but Clarke sucks man

Reactions: Leetch3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
When a draft pick doesn't work out, it's Clark's fault.
When a draft pick does work out, it's expected and there's no reason to credit Clark.

My favorite is "let's look only at the 1st round" - in a decade where the Rangers didn't even have a first rounder for like 5 straight seasons. : )

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad