Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 11.15.19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've never seen a whole lot in Gross other than chippy play and a nice shot. I mentioned it the other day, this reminds me of Zborovskiy's third year. Gross is the oldest defenseman on the team, he plays for a powerhouse, he's getting an increased role including PP time he isn't accustomed to, and he'll put up big numbers. And then a bunch of people will get all hyped about him when he's really nothing more than a C+ prospect.

He could prove me wrong, of course, but I watched a lot of him the past two years and in the WJC and he just looked so mediocre. Unless he's taken a massive step forward and isn't just benefitting from the factors I mentioned, my opinion is unchanged. I'll have to watch him, though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've never seen a whole lot in Gross other than chippy play and a nice shot. I mentioned it the other day, this reminds me of Zborovskiy's third year. Gross is the oldest defenseman on the team, he plays for a powerhouse, he's getting an increased role including PP time he isn't accustomed to, and he'll put up big numbers. And then a bunch of people will get all hyped about him when he's really nothing more than a C+ prospect.

He could prove me wrong, of course, but I watched a lot of him the past two years and in the WJC and he just looked so mediocre. Unless he's taken a massive step forward and isn't just benefitting from the factors I mentioned, my opinion is unchanged. I'll have to watch him, though.

Zborovskiy's big issue was his skating was subpar.....and it became a bigger issue after he turned pro. Defensemen can still survive being defense first but they still have to have good enough skating to keep plays alive and still be able to retreat and defend.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

big difference between the situations though is people were trying to hype of zboro as our future #1 RHD...now with Gross you are talking about a guy who might not even be in the top 10 LHD in the system and therefore no one should be expecting much but if he can develop and add value that deep in the system is pretty nice.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Jones imo was the steal of the 2019 draft. Going to have a monster year in college.

The 2019 draft was a good one for the Rangers imo.
Loved almost every pick. Henriksson and Jones in particular I guys I was very happy we got, big “boom” potential with those. Even a “huh” pick like Skinner looks promising.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Aaltonen is one to watch as well. His assist today was really nice. Showed a lot of patience. 2019 draft looks really good so far
Yeah he was the other guy I was excited to see we picked. If only because he has an outstanding aspect to his game (skating), and getting a guy that skilled in any one aspect in the 6th round is always a good bet.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah he was the other guy I was excited to see we picked. If only because he has an outstanding aspect to his game (skating), and getting a guy that skilled in any one aspect in the 6th round is always a good bet.

The only thing that annoyed me is that we didn't pick Dorofeyev. That kid will be a steal for Vegas

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Players who attend college will have their rights retained until they graduate. As long as he's in college we own his rights. It feels like he's been in college for a decade. Van Wilder style
Van Wilder. Haha. Nice. Might have to re-watch one now, also. Feeling old now... Again.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I feel like goalie stats are really bad at giving a clear picture on the goalies abilities, especially with prospects, which is why I wasn’t furious at the Lindbom pick

Nothing to do with stats, everything to do with value. Even if he winds up being better than what I've seen, he’s not a workhorse 1, therefore he doesn't get you more than a 2nd round pick. So at best in a vacuum it’s a lateral move, but with the pipeline it makes zero sense.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Nothing to do with stats, everything to do with value. Even if he winds up being better than what I've seen, he’s not a workhorse 1, therefore he doesn't get you more than a 2nd round pick. So at best in a vacuum it’s a lateral move, but with the pipeline it makes zero sense.
There was plenty of people that cited his stats as a reason of why he can’t even be a good enough goalie to justify being taken. I understand the value and pipeline arguments, but I also find them to be overstated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad