Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.27.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Trying to be openminded and understand others' points of view.

Says the guy judging “hot takes” I tried to understand your POV and found it wanting.

If Cornell makes it to the Frozen four, Barron can’t even play a AHL regular season game and could only qualify for a pro season if Hartford gets to the 2nd round.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Ok, but if Cornell makes Frozen Four, does possibility even exist to burn an ELC year?(if NYR miss playoffs)

If not mistaken, this spring, F4 in Detroit seems to occur the weekend after NHL regular season concludes.

Any way, sorry, must be slow, still not seeing the harm or risk Barron situation may cause to NYR

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Says the guy judging “hot takes” I tried to understand your POV and found it wanting.

If Cornell makes it to the Frozen four, Barron can’t even play a AHL regular season game and could only qualify for a pro season if Hartford gets to the 2nd round.
With all due respect this reminds me of people critical of Gorton / Clark drafting someone in let’s say 3rd round who didn’t pan out and point out one or two choices from the remaining 140 as an example of making the wrong selection. In this regard you should be taking a look at a full population of draftees taking a college route and seeing how many decide to force the issue by becoming UFAs. This percentage is very small and is indicative of exceptions than a rule.

Reactions: TheBPA and nyr2k2

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
this is a little mixed up, as the Heatley never played for Preds,
the trade after the accident was to Sens for Hossa

Dany Heatley Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
2005-Aug-23 Traded from Atlanta Thrashers to Ottawa Senators for Greg De Vries and Marian Hossa

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/heatley-indicted-in-fatal-crash-1.488636
Ok it was not the Preds but I do remember Heatly at MSG for the home opener after a teammate died in a car accident when he was driving. He got booed during pre game introductions. Half of the Rangers rosters was booed too

Reactions: egelband

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Based on what Cornell HC Mike Schafer has said, Barron will almost definitely be turning pro at the end of the year. Regardless of when his season ends, I'm very doubtful that year gets burned off his ELC. This isn't a Chris Kreider situation, who while raw was immensely physically gifted. Barron is not.

Btw he went scoreless last night against Harvard and he had his usual 3-4 scoring chances created. The difference last night was Harvard almost played a press style of defense and gave Cornell very little room to operate. Also because of some of the injuries Cornell has suffered recently with 2 of their top 3 centers going out, Barron has been playing a lot more. I don't think they do TOI in college but I'd guess he played at least 20 minutes and has been most of the year.

Barron's biggest issue this season has been puck possession in the offensive zone. When he gets pressured he's not good enough in the small areas in terms of stickhandling and agility to make space for himself. He makes space for others right now just by being on the ice but he'll force passes through the slot because he's trying to create something.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Based on what Cornell HC Mike Schafer has said, Barron will almost definitely be turning pro at the end of the year. Regardless of when his season ends, I'm very doubtful that year gets burned off his ELC. This isn't a Chris Kreider situation, who while raw was immensely physically gifted. Barron is not.

Btw he went scoreless last night against Harvard and he had his usual 3-4 scoring chances created. The difference last night was Harvard almost played a press style of defense and gave Cornell very little room to operate. Also because of some of the injuries Cornell has suffered recently with 2 of their top 3 centers going out, Barron has been playing a lot more. I don't think they do TOI in college but I'd guess he played at least 20 minutes and has been most of the year.

Barron's biggest issue this season has been puck possession in the offensive zone. When he gets pressured he's not good enough in the small areas in terms of stickhandling and agility to make space for himself. He makes space for others right now just by being on the ice but he'll force passes through the slot because he's trying to create something.

That isn't great news considering the biggest shift from NCAA to NHL is the pace of the game.

This feeds into a lot of posters on here suggesting his pro potential is more of a chip-and-chase bottom 6 player rather than a creative offensive guy. Which is fine- some times having a line of meat-and-potatoes players who prefer to throw the puck at the net rather than try to carve out the perfect play is needed- especially in the postseason.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
That isn't great news considering the biggest shift from NCAA to NHL is the pace of the game.

This feeds into a lot of posters on here suggesting his pro potential is more of a chip-and-chase bottom 6 player rather than a creative offensive guy. Which is fine- some times having a line of meat-and-potatoes players who prefer to throw the puck at the net rather than try to carve out the perfect play is needed- especially in the postseason.
Which I mostly agree with.

He does try and carve out the perfect play, sometimes to his detriment but he's also the best player on the team and is looked to to provide offense. I do think he's a creative player now, who can chip-and-chase and will probably do so at the pro level, but I think there's a chance that his skill can translate.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I'm banking on him being a key contributor to a resurgent bottom six in the next few years.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ok, but if Cornell makes Frozen Four, does possibility even exist to burn an ELC year?(if NYR miss playoffs)

If not mistaken, this spring, F4 in Detroit seems to occur the weekend after NHL regular season concludes.

Any way, sorry, must be slow, still not seeing the harm or risk Barron situation may cause to NYR

Why are we talking about an ELC instead of an ATO here?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Would be delighted if his hands develop into Fast’s level and the Rangers have this type with more size and speed, and just as able to be a 3rd wheel on top lines if necessary. I don’t think it’s far fetched.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'd give Barron his ELC and I would not be concerned with him burning a year. Can still go down to the AHL and play in the playoffs if he signs and plays with the Rangers.

He's not a player to expect huge points and a big money 2nd deal.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah IIRC they really wanted Kreider to play. They thought he was ready and that he could make a difference. And he did. I remember being at a watch party with a bunch of Capitals guy and I exploded when Kreider flew down the LW and blasted that slapper home to put the Rangers back up. He was electric at times.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
source.gif

Rangers should trade him. We don’t like defensemen who shoot.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Edstrom, Henriksson, Lundkvist, Pajuniemi, and Reunanen all played, and none were on the score sheet.

Aaltonen didn't suit up.

I’m very high on Barron while I’m very intrigued how Edstrom develops.

Watching the prospects in Stamford, Edstrom moves well and stands about 7’0 on skates. He towers over Kakko. When he fills out, will he be a Brian Boyle or with better hands a Tim Kerr mountain in front of the oppositions net? He certainly skates well, is too large to move yet I don’t see him plowing somebody into the boards like anticipate Barron doing.

Fun to both speculate and watch the progress from these kids.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Happy for him.

What changed in his game this year vs last year?

According to him? He shoots the puck more. He's more opportunistic and doesn't overthink everything. His production is still a bit of a fluke, with a lot of it coming on the powerplay, and with limited minutes, but it seems to be working. The void Kakko left when he came over gave Pajuniemi a chance to shine too. He still has a long way to go, and I continue to believe that the Fast-trajectory is the one most likely for Pajuniemi.

In that scenario, he will sign his ELC in 2021, stay in Finland on loan for 1 more year, come over in 2022, play on the Rangers possibly in 2023

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Henriksson is a guy I'm still having a difficult time pegging.

The size/skating combination just doesn't strike me as a guy who easily projects as an NHL center, but I'm not quite sure how he looks as a wing who leans decently on the playmaking over shooting.

I feel like I am looking at scattered ingredients, and some of them look rather good, but I struggle to see how it all fits together at this point.
Maybe a Mathieu Perreault or Marcus Johansson type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->