Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Berard couldn't be more Ryan Bourque if he tried except Bourque had a bit more JV to him.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Remove him from all amateur scouting discussions.

I dunno, we don't really have a great record of drafting goalies since Allaire got here, but I think it's more about not wasting high picks on them; regardless of who is assessing them.

No doubt though, he seems to have an astronomically better history of helping to identify undrafted pro guys for us to sign.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Best of luck to him. I never had high expectations for Gropp, but it's still disappointing how he ended up.

It’s funny, when you watch Gropp (live especially) you can pretty easily see what scouts saw in him. He’s a solid skater, he’s got a good shot, he stands out on the ice.

But the attributes never seem to come together and move in a productive direction. There’s design flaws in the approach and style that he just can’t seem to overcome as a pro.

A lot of it is cutting to the net and getting in the slot to get his shot off. You literally find yourself watching him and whispering “okay, now cut to the middle, cut to the middle, get over to the middle!” He has the tools to get open up and beat goalies, but it’s literally like he can’t bring himself to do it in the moment.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hughes had a goal, was +2, and had 3 shots.

Kravtsov was -1 with 2 SOG in 16 minutes.

Tärnström was credited with a goal for his HockeyEttan team. He scored twice in the SO including the game-winner, which in Sweden counts as a goal. So he's at 3-2-5 in 7 HockeyEttan games. HockeyEttan is like sub-ECHL, though.

Reactions: bl02

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I dunno, those amateur scouting discussions also resulted in our two current goalies.

How much input did he have on Shesterkin though?

I doubt he was taking many trips out to bumble f*** Russia to watch him play in Junior league games.

Not to mention, we took a goalie in the 2nd that year who turned into a dud. At the very least, ban him from speaking at the draft table until round 4.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
How much input did he have on Shesterkin though?

I doubt he was taking many trips out to bumble f*** Russia to watch him play in Junior league games.

Not to mention, we took a goalie in the 2nd that year who turned into a dud. At the very least, ban him from speaking at the draft table until round 4.

Shesterkin played for Moscow (and then St. Petersburg I think) clubs in his predraft years.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Well that changes things.

I mean since we heard that he provided input on Lindbom then it’s pretty reasonable he did it with Shesterkin. But I bet in both cases it wasn’t his decision where in the draft to pick a goalie. There’d be hardly a peep if the Swede was drafted in the 4th round.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean since we heard that he provided input on Lindbom then it’s pretty reasonable he did it with Shesterkin. But I bet in both cases it wasn’t his decision where in the draft to pick a goalie. There’d be hardly a peep if the Swede was drafted in the 4th round.

Of course, because thats where he was slated to go!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
To clarify, Allaire doesn’t scout the goalies and make recommendations as to where they should be drafted.

They will show him video, occasionally he’ll catch a game or tournament, and he’ll give feedback.

I think there’s a mythology that has almost developed around Allaire’s insight and influence into drafting and signing goalies.

But if we’re going to talk about Lindbom and the misses, you also have to know that he provided insight on guys like Lundqvist, Raanta, Talbot, Georgiev, Shesterkin, etc.

He’s not just out there giving feedback on the guys who crap out. It doesn’t work that way, lol.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
To clarify, Allaire doesn’t scout the goalies and make recommendations as to where they should be drafted.

They will show him video, occasionally he’ll catch a game or tournament, and he’ll give feedback.

I think there’s a mythology that has almost developed around Allaire’s insight and influence into drafting and signing goalies.

But if we’re going to talk about Lindbom and the misses, you also have to know that he also provided insight on guys like Lundqvist, Raanta, Talbot, Georgiev, Shesterkin, etc.

He’s not just out there giving feedback on the guys who crap out. It doesn’t work that way, lol.

I have always felt that the Lindbom pick was impacted heavily by his performance at the u18 WJC. Those are games where the Rangers usually have a group of people in the arena and coverage of those games is quite easy to find so I'm sure Allaire saw those games

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have always felt that the Lindbom pick was impacted heavily by his performance at the u18 WJC. Those are games where the Rangers usually have a group of people in the arena and coverage of those games is quite easy to find so I'm sure Allaire saw those games

Definitely a part of the thought process and a manifestation of the tools and reports they had prior.

Heading into the draft Lindbom was seen as anywhere from a late second to likely third rounder. So the Rangers went early on him, but not necessarily light years beyond where others would’ve considered him.

Personally, I wanted Jack Drury there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lundqvist was drafted way before Allaire was on board. Can't give him credit for the pick in any way. Obviously he helped develop him.

I don't really care how involved Allaire is or isn't when it comes to acquiring goaltenders, I just want them to stop using picks in the top two or three round on them.
Yep. Even if the goalie is someone like Askarov, the pick is better spent on a forward of defenseman.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Lundqvist was drafted way before Allaire was on board. Can't give him credit for the pick in any way. Obviously he helped develop him on the NHL.

I don't really care how involved Allaire is or isn't when it comes to acquiring goaltenders, I just want them to stop using picks in the top two or three round on them.

Allaire was one of the reasons the Rangers didn’t trade Lundkvist and keep Montoya. So just something to consider.

As for the drafting, I can’t argue against that. It’s merely to point out that it isn’t his department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad