Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - Final Rankings

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Ranger's Fall 2020 Prospect Rankings

1. Alexis Lafreniere (F) (2020 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
2. Igor Shesterkin (G)
(2014 Draft - 4th Round) (E)
3. Nils Lundkvist (RD)
(2018 Draft - 1st Round) (+2)
4. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st Round) (E)
5. K'Andre Miller (LD) (2018 Draft - 1st Round) (+1)
6. Braden Schneider (RD) (2020 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
7. Matthew Robertson (LD) (2019 Draft - 2nd Round) (+6)
8. Julien Gauthier (F) (2016 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
9. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 - 6th Round) (+2)
10. Zac Jones (LD) (2019 - 3rd Round) (-3)
11. Tarmo Reunanen (LD) (2016 Draft - 4th Round) (+5)
12. Karl Henriksson (F) (2019 Draft - 2nd Round) (+3)
13. Will Cuylle (F) (2020 - 2nd Round) (N/R)
14. Libor Hajek (LD) (2016 - 2nd Round) (-5)
15. Tyler Wall (G) (2016 - 6th Round) (+3)
16. Lauri Pajuniemi (F) (2018 - 5th Rounder) (-2)
17. Evan Vierling (F) (2020 Draft - 5th Round) (N/R)
18. Brett Berard (F) (2020 Draft - 5th Round) (N/R)
19. Patrick Khodorenko (F) (Undrafted) (N/R)
20. Oliver Tarnstrom (F) (2020 Draft - 3rd Round) (N/R)
21. Justin Richards (F) (Undrafted) (N/R)
22. Tim Gettinger (F) (2016 Draft - 5th Round) (-3)
23. Dylan Garand (G) (2020 draft - 4th Round) (N/R)
24. Hunter Skinner (RD) (2019 - 4th Round) (-4)
25. Yegor Rykov (LD) (2016 - 5th Round) (-15)
26. Olof Lindbom (G) (2018 - 2nd Round) (-4)
27. Adam Huska (G) (2015 - 7th Round) (-10)
28. Adam Edtsrom (F) (2019 - 6th Round) (-7)
29. Calle Sjalin (LD) (2017 - 5th Round) (+7)
30. Eric Ciccolini (F) (2019 - 7th Round) (-3)

Honourable Mentions

Leevi Aaltonen
Simon Kjellberg
Hugo Ollas
Matthew Rempe
Austin Rueschhoff
When you add in Kakko, Fox, Lindgren, Chytil, Howden and Georgiev, this list is breataking!

Last edited:

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
It's a testament to Gorton and Co, as to how quickly they have amassed so many assets. Yes, luck certainly played a hand with Kakko & Lafreniere, but some very good acquisitions and turning assets into other assets as well as SEEMING to find good value outside the top-10.
Interesting. The other day on Twitter, when the Blackhawks announced their rebuild and Rangers fans came to say it’s a good decision, Hawks fans said the Rangers rebuild was all luck so far.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Eh, imo his game won’t translate. I hope I’m wrong.

Why?

He just turned 21 so he's plenty young to expect more development. He's a volume shooter who's able to find time / space on ice surface that's pretty similar to NA. He has a variety of shots and specifically his slapper has a pretty short windup. His skating is very decent (or decent enough to not be an issue). What most players coming over from lower leagues should adjust for is how to play without a puck. Paju is not any different in that respect, or any different from a prospect who's calling card is offense.

At this point he'd be overseas for this season and maybe one more before coming over). Personally I'd consider him having higher chances to making it as NHLer than Fast at the same point in his career.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At this point he'd be overseas for this season and maybe one more before coming over). Personally I'd consider him having higher chances to making it as NHLer than Fast at the same point in his career.
IDK about that. Fast was an excellent two-way player in a superior league at the same age. I remember talking about it, while it was up in the air how well Fast's offense would translate, the guy had an excellent defensive game and it looked like that part would translate pretty seamlessly. If his offense failed he was still really tough to play against, could kill penalties well, etc. Maybe the biggest concern with him was whether he could stay healthy.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
IDK about that. Fast was an excellent two-way player in a superior league at the same age. I remember talking about it, while it was up in the air how well Fast's offense would translate, the guy had an excellent defensive game and it looked like that part would translate pretty seamlessly. If his offense failed he was still really tough to play against, could kill penalties well, etc. Maybe the biggest concern with him was whether he could stay healthy.
100%.

I still wonder what kind of player he could have been if he hadn't suffered that horrific injury.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Why?

He just turned 21 so he's plenty young to expect more development. He's a volume shooter who's able to find time / space on ice surface that's pretty similar to NA. He has a variety of shots and specifically his slapper has a pretty short windup. His skating is very decent (or decent enough to not be an issue). What most players coming over from lower leagues should adjust for is how to play without a puck. Paju is not any different in that respect, or any different from a prospect who's calling card is offense.

There is no issue in the offensive zone. He has enough skill and a good variety of shots to do well once he gets there, like on a power play. I’m not sure if the other parts of his game will be good enough combined with everything else, although I do have a little more faith in him this year than last. Again, I could be very wrong of course, and hope I am. Thing is, once he gets here, even if he makes the team, he’s not getting power play time. He’ll have to earn it with the rest of his game. Will it be good enough? And if he doesn’t get that time, will he be effective enough to play 5v5?

And as others said, Fast is a bad comparison.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I don't recall Fast defensive game to be this highly touted but it might be on me. I recall him being called defensively responsible but not a stalwart that he became / developed after he got to US.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Can we do a hypothetical where would Lias Chad Andersson would rank if still in the organization?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There is no issue in the offensive zone. He has enough skill and a good variety of shots to do well once he gets there, like on a power play. I’m not sure if the other parts of his game will be good enough combined with everything else, although I do have a little more faith in him this year than last. Again, I could be very wrong of course, and hope I am. Thing is, once he gets here, even if he makes the team, he’s not getting power play time. He’ll have to earn it with the rest of his game. Will it be good enough? And if he doesn’t get that time, will he be effective enough to play 5v5?

And as others said, Fast is a bad comparison.

Read my post again I wasn't comparing him to Fast in terms of his game. I was comparing chances of become NHLers at this point in their respective careers. I don't know if it was you or someone else but @Amazing Kreiderman already had a similar discussion.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Worth pointing out that Kakko and Fox missed the cut by only couple games.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Fast always had a chance at a solid NHL career because he was good defensively and a PKer even if his offense never developed.

Paju on the other hand can flat out shoot. If he can't find space in NHL he'll be pretty useless.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Thought it was kind of funny that the JUST drafted 5th rounders ended up ranking higher than the just drafted 3rd/4th rounders. Has that ever happened in one of these before? Where the fans here clearly disagreed with the team on which just drafted players were better in the same draft class?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thought it was kind of funny that the JUST drafted 5th rounders ended up ranking higher than the just drafted 3rd/4th rounders. Has that ever happened in one of these before? Where the fans here clearly disagreed with the team on which just drafted players were better in the same draft class?

I think last year some people thought Aaltonen was better than Skinner.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Interesting. The other day on Twitter, when the Blackhawks announced their rebuild and Rangers fans came to say it’s a good decision, Hawks fans said the Rangers rebuild was all luck so far.
Of course they did. Did you expect any different? Also, they are probably just focusing on Lafreinere & Kakko.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Literally nobody is comparing Pajuniemi to Fast.

Talking about timelines to make it to the NHL =/= comparing players
Well yea but timeline does depend on playing style. If one player is less developed but has a game better suited for the pros, then he might make the team earlier. There’s also a chance I might be missing the point.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

This is going to be a really frustrating narrative for a while.

The sad thing is that our experience most closely resembles what the Hawks went through more than a decade ago.

They had Toews at 3 and Kane at 1, but that roster was also filled out with guys like Seabrook, Keith, Hossa, etc.

If anyone should get what the Rangers are doing, it should be those fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->