Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #9

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Add Vierling.

This one’s a tough call. I went Barron. For me, it’s the track record of steady improvement combined with being close to making the team. I think he’ll be a player for us for a while.

Interestingly, you could make a basis for Jones off the same criteria—continuing excellent play and development at each successive level.

Jones still needs a bit of development on the defensive side of things, but he’s taken strides.

I repeat, Jones will never play a game for the Rangers. He's small. Rangers are not going small other than Fox and Lundkvist long term. Forget about it. JD and Gorton have started to make the move to get the team bigger. On defense as well. Miller, Lindgren and Robertson will most likely make up the left side for a while. Schneider will eventually replace Trouba. At some point they may keep Trouba and decide to get rid of either Fox or Lundkvist. Get even bigger.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
upload_2020-10-13_5-55-3.gif

Barron vs Jones please

Reactions: Rangers743

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I repeat, Jones will never play a game for the Rangers. He's small. Rangers are not going small other than Fox and Lundkvist long term. Forget about it. JD and Gorton have started to make the move to get the team bigger. On defense as well. Miller, Lindgren and Robertson will most likely make up the left side for a while. Schneider will eventually replace Trouba. At some point they may keep Trouba and decide to get rid of either Fox or Lundkvist. Get even bigger.
The fact Jones might not ever make our team is just a testament to how good our prospect pool on defense is, not on the player. Hell someone like Braden Schneider may also have a hard time making the Rangers as a regular player with all the guys we have. Jones is a very good prospect who just had a very strong first year in college. Not every defenseman has to be tall to make it in the NHL.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The fact Jones might not ever make our team is just a testament to how good our prospect pool on defense is, not on the player. Hell someone like Braden Schneider may also have a hard time making the Rangers as a regular player with all the guys we have. Jones is a very good prospect who just had a very strong first year in college. Not every defenseman has to be tall to make it in the NHL.

One thing these players will provide is an ELC in years when we are potentially paying for our top young guys. We won't be able to keep everyone and some will not make it, but the foundation is set for when a Lindgren is ready for his 3rd contract, Zibanejad needs a new deal, and Kakko and Lafreniere are coming off their ELCs and could demand a hefty raise.

Yes, maybe someone like Jones is used as a trade chip, but that could be a very valuable piece league wide. Puck moving defenders will never go out of style. If not, he could be replacing someone 3-4 years down the line we can no longer afford or is less a part of the core of this roster.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
You win some and then you lose some.

When you trade a known for a bunch of less knowns, there will always be a risk of the less knowns never amounting to anything. Every organization has had that result. Even the most successful ones.

Holistically, that trade was a major signal in the change of direction this organization was taking. It eventually led us to Kakko and now Lafreniere.

It also netted us Lundqvist (and Henriksson) via draft picks. If Lundqvist becomes a top 4 level defenseman along with everything else, that trade is a win for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad