Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #9

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
The fact Zac Jones is ahead of Barron is comical. Jones sucks as a prospect compared to Barron. Once again the Rangers fan base falls in love with a small defenseman because he puts up a few points against kids. Jones will never play one game in a Rangers uniform. Barron should easily make the team and be winning player for us for a long time. Jones is not Fox or Lundkvist. He's not a small defenseman with huge skill. Think harder.

Did Jones kick your dog or something?

Reactions: B17 Apricots

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vierling, Berard or Tarnstrom. Could you give us your thoughts on how these 3 younger forward 2020 draftees compare?
I love Berard. He's small but he plays hard and has an edge. He's super crafty but also has a good snap shot and goes to the dirty areas. Everything you read on him he acknowledges he models himself after Brad Marchand, which is apparent. I was kind of shocked when I saw we got him when we did. I didn't really pay attention to what other teams were doing but I assumed he'd be gone in the second or early third.

Vierling I've only seen a few times. He's a standard creative pass-first C. He skates well. Good effort guy. Unless he's had a growth spurt I don't believe he's actually 6'0" and he's not particularly strong.

Tärnström I honestly know nothing about, other than what I've read in the past few weeks.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Went with Barron. Jones is right there but Barron has a slightly longer resume and I think is a safer bet to be a long-term NHL player even if he doesn't translate the offense.

Add Wall. People are sleeping on him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not ready to add either quite yet but I do like Richards a little better than Khodorenko.

Richards played three seasons at Duluth--the third was cut short because of the pandemic. The other two years Minn-Duluth won the NCAA championship and Richards really grew into a leadership role his last couple seasons---voted best defensive forward in his conference those last two years and he's a face-off guy. To me this guy could turn into a Dominic Moore like player.

I think Khodorenko is a sleeper too.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Vierling, Berard or Tarnstrom. Could you give us your thoughts on how these 3 younger forward 2020 draftees compare?

Short Versions:

Berard is the speedy, undersized winger with a high motor and a willingness to play with a little chip on his shoulder. Can play both wings; a bit further out. Highest offensive upside of the trio, less likely to make it if the offense doesn’t translate.

Vierling is a high IQ, speedster with a good motor and very impressive awareness in all three zones. He showed a higher offensive side after being traded. Probably the safest of the trip because his intelligence makes his adaptable.

Tarnstrom is a playmaking forward with the ability to find read the play offensively and find the open man. Effective, if not eye-catching two-way hockey at LW or C. Arguably similar to guys taken in the first round, albeit with less track record.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's funny, in these polls in the past I've always been one of the guys higher on Pajuniemi, but despite his breakout numbers, I find myself a little less optimistic at the moment.

So many of his goals were carbon copies of each other, and if he is going to be able to use his shot like that at the NHL level, he is going to need to find or create soft areas of the ice.

I would feel a little more confident in his transition if he had more dirty goals, or goals that required him to outmuscle or outspeed a defender. As of now, he looks a little like he could top out as a AAAA Vinni Lettieri-type guy.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I haven’t seen enough to compare the three but one of my best friends text me after the draft and said we stole Vierling. I went back and looked at him and I am very impressed. It sounds like he was homesick in Flint (which I understand is a tough place to play) got traded closer to home and went on a tear.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Hajek is this close to busting but also the likeliest to make the roster this year.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Add Vierling.

This one’s a tough call. I went Barron. For me, it’s the track record of steady improvement combined with being close to making the team. I think he’ll be a player for us for a while.

Interestingly, you could make a basis for Jones off the same criteria—continuing excellent play and development at each successive level.

Jones still needs a bit of development on the defensive side of things, but he’s taken strides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad