Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #9 (Tie-Break)

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The criteria I will use to determine if a tie-break is necessary will be if the gap between the top two vote-getters is less than 10% of the number of votes cast for neither of those prospects.

In this case, the gap between Barron and Jones is 3 votes and there are 36 votes cast for other prospects in the poll. Enough to qualify for a tie-break.

The loser of this vote will not automatically be ranked #10.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Being further along in the development was the most influencing factor to me choosing Barron over Jones on what are two outstanding college careers (to date). 3 years >> 1 year

Reactions: Rangers743

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
this is a tough one...I was pretty much a toss up between gauthier, barron and jones. I picked Barron in the initial vote so should probably stick with that but I REALLY like Jones and want to vote for him too lol

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Barron. More upside with Jones, I feel, but Barron has a better track record and is a pretty safe bet for an NHL career. Jones has a lot of talent, but if his game doesn't easily translate then I could see him flaming out entirely. He's more boom-bust.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gotta go with the higher upside which is Zac Jones over the safer player which is Morgan.

Morgan will likely be a 4th liner, that maybe can step into the 3rd line. Jones has top 4 potential.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is a battle of reward vs. readiness.

In the end, I went with the potential reward of upside and picked Jones here - 23 points and .71 ppg as a freshman on defense is nothing to sneeze at.

But there really isn't a wrong choice here.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
This is a battle of reward vs. readiness.

In the end, I went with the potential reward of upside and picked Jones here - 23 points and .71 ppg as a freshman on defense is nothing to sneeze at.

But there really isn't a wrong choice here.
I LOVE Jones as a prospect and if he had done this for two seasons I probably would've been voting for him in the top 5. Heck, even a partial season (if/when he plays again) would probably leapfrog him a couple of spots for me. But given Barron's steady progression at this point, I'm going with him by a hair.

(Needless to say, given this stance, I won't be terribly upset whichever way this turns out. So, @Harbour Dog, if it remains tied after the tiebreaker has run its course, feel free to switch my vote over to the Jones column in order to move on.)

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jones for upside. Barron probably is on the roster opening night this season. This is a toss up and the votes look that was too.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I LOVE Jones as a prospect and if he had done this for two seasons I probably would've been voting for him in the top 5. Heck, even a partial season (if/when he plays again) would probably leapfrog him a couple of spots for me. But given Barron's steady progression at this point, I'm going with him by a hair.

(Needless to say, given this stance, I won't be terribly upset whichever way this turns out. So, @Harbour Dog, if it remains tied after the tiebreaker has run its course, feel free to switch my vote over to the Jones column in order to move on.)

Same here. if Jones had a chance to backed up his freshman performance with another year I'd be betting on his upside.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Don’t understand this boards obsession with Barron
Big Jones AINEC
2 years younger and put up way better numbers in the NCAA at the same age... as a dman

Point production in the NCAA can be deceptive. Certain styles of game that produce in the NCAA don't in the NHL and vice versa. Look at Brendan Smith vs Ryan McDonagh's offensive production at Wisconsin.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad