Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #24

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Ranger's Fall 2020 Prospect Rankings

1. Alexis Lafreniere (F) (2020 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
2. Igor Shesterkin (G)
(2014 Draft - 4th Round) (E)
3. Nils Lundkvist (RD)
(2018 Draft - 1st Round) (+2)
4. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st Round) (E)
5. K'Andre Miller (LD) (2018 Draft - 1st Round) (+1)
6. Braden Schneider (RD) (2020 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
7. Matthew Robertson (LD) (2019 Draft - 2nd Round) (+6)
8. Julien Gauthier (F) (2016 Draft - 1st Round) (N/R)
9. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 - 6th Round) (+2)
10. Zac Jones (LD) (2019 - 3rd Round) (-3)
11. Tarmo Reunanen (LD) (2016 Draft - 4th Round) (+5)
12. Karl Henriksson (F) (2019 Draft - 2nd Round) (+3)
13. Will Cuylle (F) (2020 - 2nd Round) (N/R)
14. Libor Hajek (LD) (2016 - 2nd Round) (-5)
15. Tyler Wall (G) (2016 - 6th Round) (+3)
16. Lauri Pajuniemi (F) (2018 - 5th Rounder) (-2)
17. Evan Vierling (F) (2020 Draft - 5th Round) (N/R)
18. Brett Berard (F) (2020 Draft - 5th Round) (N/R)
19. Patrick Khodorenko (F) (Undrafted) (N/R)
20. Oliver Tarnstrom (F) (2020 Draft - 3rd Round) (N/R)
21. Justin Richards (F) (Undrafted) (N/R)
22. Tim Gettinger (F) (2016 Draft - 5th Round) (-3)
23. Dylan Garand (G) (2020 draft - 4th Round) (N/R)

dylan-garand.jpg

Eric Ciccolini has been added to the poll.

Players available to be added:​

PlayerAgePosition
Hugo Ollas18G
Leevi Aaltonen19F
Jake Elmer21F
Gabriel Fontaine23F
Riley Hughes20F
Patrick Newell24F
Matthew Rempe18F
Ty Ronning22F
Austin Rueschhoff23F
Brandon Crawley23LD
Simon Kjellberg20LD
Jacob Ragnarsson21LD
Calle Sjalin21LD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Didn't he have a high ankle sprain? I did that once and it took at least 9 months to get over it.

He did and that made matters worse.

But Rykov also felt like one of those prospects who you'd know pretty quickly if things were translating and his stock was on the upswing, or if he was somewhat leveling-off.

In other words, he wasn't a 20 year old playing pro hockey for the first time who relied on being bigger or more athletic than his young competition. He was a guy who'd been exposed to one of the upper tier pro leagues and who relied on his smarts and fundamentals more than raw ability or a physical skill/attribute that served as his calling card.

And in that sense, at his best, he was merely okay. But at this point you have to have some questions about a guy who was arugably the 3rd-5th best defenseman for Hartford and really isn't in a prime position back in the KHL either.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

But Rykov also felt like one of those prospects who you'd know pretty quickly if things were translating and his stock was on the upswing, or if he was somewhat leveling-off.

In other words, he wasn't a 20 year old playing pro hockey for the first time who relied on being bigger or more athletic than his young competition. He was a guy who'd been exposed to one of the upper tier pro leagues and who relied on his smarts and fundamentals more than raw ability or a physical skill/attribute that served as his calling card.

And in that sense, at his best, he was merely okay. But at this point you have to have some questions about a guy who was arugably the 3rd-5th best defenseman for Hartford and really isn't in a prime position back in the KHL either.

This injury of mine was almost 40 years ago but it was like dead leg time. I was dragging it all over. I can't imagine Yegor was at all near 100%.

You might be right and the Rangers certainly are covered as far as LD for the future so it wouldn't be a huge loss if Rykov was let go but I don't think his NHL chances are necessarily done at all.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I watched a lot of Rykov's games with Sochi in a season prior to him coming to NA and based on it I really had high hopes. I thought he had enough speed on his skates and between his ears to become a regular NHLer. Last season was a mess all around but I thought that this season with CSKA he'd pick it right back up. Saw him in a few games early on and it looked like it might be the case (he was playing 18-19 min) but then he became meh at best and coaching staff relegated him to 3rd pair.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This injury of mine was almost 40 years ago but it was like dead leg time. I was dragging it all over. I can't imagine Yegor was at all near 100%.

You might be right and the Rangers certainly are covered as far as LD for the future so it wouldn't be a huge loss if Rykov was let go but I don't think his NHL chances are necessarily done at all.

I would agree that he isn't done, but he's going to have to take some serious steps to avoid falling into that spare/7th defenseman category.

Because right now, if I go on what I've seen from guys like Hajek and Rykov over the last 12-18 months, I'm seeing two guys more in the mold of Bryce Lampman and Maxim Kondratiev than guys who are likely to beat out a base level of competition that is likely to exist in this organization for a while.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I watched a lot of Rykov's games with Sochi in a season prior to him coming to NA and based on it I really had high hopes. I thought he had enough speed on his skates and between his ears to become a regular NHLer. Last season was a mess all around but I thought that this season with CSKA he'd pick it right back up. Saw him in a few games early on and it looked like it might be the case (he was playing 18-19 min) but then he became meh at best and coaching staff relegated him to 3rd pair.

That's actually one of the weird things watching him the last year or so. You feel like you get to a point where he's leveling-off, playing mostly okay, and potentially ready to take a next step, and then he'd kind of fall-off a bit. Then he'd cycle back, start to look like he was pulling the nose up, and then he'd fall-off again.

Injuries and other factors can't be discounted. They do have an impact.

But part of me also wonders if I'm looking at a prospect who has simply leveled off. It does happen.

They progress, and they make strides, but then you kind of see a cap on their trajectory. They settle into support roles in the minors, or overseas, and that carries them to a multi-year career in the sport.

Is that the case with someone like Rykov? Time will tell. But at 23, and with competition coming up on the horizon, he's at a point where he really needs to seize the moment.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad