Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #20 (Tie Break)

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Richards is what he is --- a nice 4th line prospect who might find a niche on the fourth line. Essentially a Blair Betts type if he makes it, or a Fogarty/Nieves type if he doesn't.

Tarnstrom is more of an unknown and his success could be made or broken by the opportunities that present themselves (or don't) in the next 24 months. His upside is more of the middle six/tweener type --- maybe a poor man's version of guys like Mercer or Amirov.

I went with Tarnstrom based on the perceived upside at this time. But both are good choices here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Richards is what he is --- a nice 4th line prospect who might find a niche on the fourth line. Essentially a Blair Betts type if he makes it, or a Fogarty/Nieves type if he doesn't.

Tarnstrom is more of an unknown and his success could be made or broken by the opportunities that present themselves (or don't) in the next 24 months. His upside is more of the middle six/tweener type --- maybe a poor man's version of guys like Mercer or Amirov.

I went with Tarnstrom based on the perceived upside at this time. But both are good choices here.

I was thinking Richards might be more like a Dominic Moore. A 59% faceoff guy last year by the way. When you're voted best defensive forward in arguably the best conference in college hockey in your sophomore and junior seasons it speaks to a two way game. He also doesn't have the size of a Betts, Fogarty, Nieves.

Last edited:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Went with Richards because he's close to making the big show as opposed to Tarnstrom, who is years away (albeit with higher upside).

But, I tend to rank players with a bit more history and close to NHL-readiness higher than recently drafted mid-rounders. Some posters covet upside a bit more than I do, which I totally get.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
The have a bunch of forwards for years that dumb defensively and can't win faceoffs. Richards is the exact opposite of that. I expect both he and Barron will easily make the team if Quinn doesn't have his head up his butt as usual playing favorites. One more reason Smith absolutely can't be on the roster opening night.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The have a bunch of forwards for years that dumb defensively and can't win faceoffs. Richards is the exact opposite of that. I expect both he and Barron will easily make the team if Quinn doesn't have his head up his butt as usual playing favorites. One more reason Smith absolutely can't be on the roster opening night.
There has been a good bit of discussion about Barron and a few others not starting with the team because of their bonuses. With their bonuses, they basically count as $1.7M+ on the cap instead of their base cap hit. It would be tough to carry both Barron and Kravtsov, for example. So, we'll see.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was thinking Richards might be more like a Dominic Moore. A 59% faceoff guy last year by the way. When you're voted best defensive forward in arguably the best conference in college hockey in your sophomore and junior seasons it speaks to a two way game. He also doesn't have the size of a Betts, Fogarty, Nieves.

I don't think the offense or activity created from speed and energy will quite be there for Richards. He's more methodical.

Ironically, one of the guys we just voted onto the list, Vierling, tends to remind me a bit more of Moore.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There has been a good bit of discussion about Barron and a few others not starting with the team because of their bonuses. With their bonuses, they basically count as $1.7M+ on the cap instead of their base cap hit. It would be tough to carry both Barron and Kravtsov, for example. So, we'll see.

We should sticky

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I think we're much more worried about ELC bonuses than the FO is. Most of them are going to be nearly impossible for anyone outside of Lafreniere and Kakko to hit. Even then, it's unlikely to be all, or even most of their possible bonuses. Most of them are tied into ice time, raw stats (goals, assists, points), and league-wide accolades (Calder, All-Rookie Team, All-Star Game, Top-30 in positional scoring).

Point being, there's only so much ice time to go around, and I only think one of Kakko/Lafreniere gets top-6 minutes over the course of the season. Lafreniere/Kakko/Kravstov/Barron are not going to ALL be able to get a significant amount of bonus money, because there's literally not enough ice time to go around for them to do so. Maybe, if one of Robertson or Miller surprises at camp and takes Top-4 icetime right away, they can also get some bonus cash, but all in all, it's very unlikely to be more than a token amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->