Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #2

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Igor.

Add Gauthier. He's only a year older than Barron, had 27 goals in the AHL two years ago, and was on pace to score 40+ goals in the AHL last season before we acquired him. I think both are going to be long-term staples in our bottom-6 that make life miserable for opposing teams to matchup against.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Goat was great in the AHL and better than his minutes in the NHL, but at some point that 0 goals--with a number of good chances, including a penalty shot--sticks out and makes me doubt him a bit.

On the flip side, as an NCAA fan, I've seen a some of Barron over the last three years and he's a really intriguing prospect.

I'd say add Barron. He's more versatile and could be a lot of things as an NHLer.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and mas0764

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
And the prospect a pool is not nearly as good as we think it is if those seven people are right and Lundkvist is number two.

Well we've graduated so many of our kids. They are all 19-20-21-22 but no longer prospects. Doesn't make the future any less bright.

But frankly I still have Kravtsov ahead of Lundkvist.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Goat was great in the AHL and better than his minutes in the NHL, but at some point that 0 goals--with a number of good chances, including a penalty shot--sticks out and makes me doubt him a bit.

On the flip side, as an NCAA fan, I've seen a some of Barron over the last three years and he's a really intriguing prospect.

I'd say add Barron. He's more versatile and could be a lot of things as an NHLer.
The thing that is good about Barron is that even if his scoring isn't anything noteworthy, he should still do enough other things really well that he can still take a regular third line shift. I like Gauthier, but if his scoring isn't there I'm not sure he does enough other things to stick in the lineup.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The thing that is good about Barron is that even if his scoring isn't anything noteworthy, he should still do enough other things really well that he can still take a regular third line shift. I like Gauthier, but if his scoring isn't there I'm not sure he does enough other things to stick in the lineup.

If he added some grit to his game I could see him playing a Jason Chimera role, but he doesn't seem to have the mentality for the chippier side of the game.

Reactions: nyr2k2

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Yeah that's sort of my point too.

If Gauthier had managed to score a couple even in his cameo last season I'd feel more comfortable with him, but going 0-fer with a number of good chances makes me doubt his scoring touch at the NHL level. And if that's not there you've got a pretty raw prospect who's a little on the older side--more to learn, less time to do it.

Barron is somebody I could see getting putting up decent numbers in a 3rd line role, maybe PP2. But you're right, not only does he play all forward positions, he's got a better brain than Gaut has shown. He's more reliable on defense, he's better at causing turnovers, and he's better with the puck on his stick in the O-zone. I'm more confident about his floor, and I don't think his cieling is so below Gauthier's that it makes the difference.

Reactions: nyr2k2

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Well we've graduated so many of our kids. They are all 19-20-21-22 but no longer prospects. Doesn't make the future any less bright.

But frankly I still have Kravtsov ahead of Lundkvist.
Me too but I m more referring to the clear cut fact Shesterkin is #2. @Ola posted how the Lundkvist hype may be a bit hasty as he hasn't proven as much as we think for various reasons. The few times I saw, he was among the more notables but not too much. Either way, the Stralman floor seems good enough. Kravtsov's CEILING is more evident, and I tend to go with that.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Definitely is a clear winner (and probably add), but I won't be able to get a new one started until after work.

Most days that should be around 8PM EST; today it will be earlier. And I have the next three days off, so they will be earlier as well!

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
I am going to go find these polls after the last drafts as I think it will be hilarious to see how wrong we were.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Do people think that we should do a Lafreniere vs. Shesterkin poll to determine who #1 is?

Honestly, I just thought it was a given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad