Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #18

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Berard imo is an amazing prospect to have at #18. I know it’s been said over and over again, but it feels unreal.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I have Berard here, Khodorenko next. Curious to see how Tarnstrom develops though.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I have Berard here, Khodorenko next. Curious to see how Tarnstrom develops though.

Not picking on you but I wouldn’t understand voting for Berard now and then going for Khodorenko before Tarnstrom in the next round. There’s very little that separates these three mid/late 2020 picks (including Vierling). All are on the younger side with A LOT of room for physical growth while (based on write-ups) showing good level of hockey skills (IQ, vision, hands). If you go for high ceiling over “proximity” then Tarnstrom is the next logical selection IMO.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not picking on you but I wouldn’t understand voting for Berard now and then going for Khodorenko before Tarnstrom in the next round. There’s very little that separates these three mid/late 2020 picks (including Vierling). All are on the younger side with A LOT of room for physical growth while (based on write-ups) showing good level of hockey skills (IQ, vision, hands). If you go for high ceiling over “proximity” then Tarnstrom is the next logical selection IMO.
I didn't know much about Tärnström heading into the draft but the reports on him (including from people on HF who do know about him) seem mixed. I don't have a good read on him.

I like Berard's upside in a big way and would have had him higher. I also like Richards' floor which is why I'm voting him next. I just don't know enough personally about Tärnström.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't know much about Tärnström heading into the draft but the reports on him (including from people on HF who do know about him) seem mixed. I don't have a good read on him.

I like Berard's upside in a big way and would have had him higher. I also like Richards' floor which is why I'm voting him next. I just don't know enough personally about Tärnström.

As someone who admittedly doesn’t follow prospects before they are drafted my knowledge comes from reading up on them. I’m sure you’ve done so too. Even if you subjectively rank them differently than the order the Rangers drafted them surely you saw commonalities between them that cause them not being a part of first two rounds.

What I’m saying is you really have to be an expert to be able to find a space between these three players to fit an undrafted college UFA in between. At some point being drafted in the 3rd round has to start to matter, at least in terms of proximity to prospects drafted two rounders later in the same draft and someone who hasn’t been drafted at all. Otherwise there’s an inconsistency that’s pretty obvious.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As someone who admittedly doesn’t follow prospects before they are drafted my knowledge comes from reading up on them. I’m sure you’ve done so too. Even if you subjectively rank them differently than the order the Rangers drafted them surely you saw commonalities between them that cause them not being a part of first two rounds.

What I’m saying is you really have to be an expert to be able to find a space between these three players to fit an undrafted college UFA in between. At some point being drafted in the 3rd round has to start to matter, at least in terms of proximity to prospects drafted two rounders later in the same draft and someone who hasn’t been drafted at all. Otherwise there’s an inconsistency that’s pretty obvious.
I get what you're saying but I don't think it's that cut and dry. I try to weigh upside, likelihood of reaching that upside, and what a guy's career might look like if he doesn't hit his upside. So Berard, I happen to be very high on. I like his upside and his likelihood of hitting it. The floor, if he misses, maybe isn't great, but would probably make him organizational depth. Richards, the upside isn't there, but even if he doesn't hit his full potential I think he can still be a useful player and the likelihood of that is quite high. So Berard and Richards, I'd have pretty close together.

Tärnström is in the conversation but I'm really not sure what his upside is, and he seems to be boom or bust. So while the fact that we like him enough to be picked in the third keeps him in the discussion, I still don't put him on the same level as the other two I mentioned. I mean, we could also be talking about Garand, based on where he was drafted, but he is just now getting nods to be added. Which, if we give heavy weighting to draft position, is ridiculous.

IDK. Draft position matters to me but I like the order I have them in. And I'm no expert, for sure. :laugh:

Reactions: kovazub94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad